General James Maloney

ryan1_old

I wanna have Jabroni's children.

Question mark over his penalty count though.

AussieWarriorsFan_old

I think you're forgetting Jeremy Lattimore.....oh no you're not..

aussie_warrior_old

When you touch the ball more than any other player you're more likely to make errors... but, yea, he's been a great buy.

ryan1_old

Let's not forget his errors.. he's made 19 of them. He tops both stats for our team.

Having said that i think he's really good.

Ahhh. But comes from being a play-maker who handles the ball a lot.

Lockyer 18
Soward 15
Bird 29
Carney 23
Thurston 19
Marshall 29

teariki_old

I hopy Seymour stays fit for the rest of the season and he and Maloney form a decent halves partnership that'll drive the Warriors to the play-offs, if not this season, then next season. Seymour has looked good in the few matches he's played to date, and Maloney has looked really good playing outside Seymour.

DanKokoro_old

Lockyer 18
Soward 15
Bird 29
Carney 23
Thurston 19
Marshall 29

Yeah i thought when i was writing that.. it'd pay to check what the error count of other good halves was.. and then i was like... "naaah"

I forgot about forward passes too

PB_old

Lockyer 18
Soward 15
Bird 29
Carney 23
Thurston 19
Marshall 29

Absolutely, Ryan. Agree fully.

Stats can't tell you everything, but they can tell you a bit. It depends on how much information is available, and the quality of it.

For instance, Benji has a high amount of errors, but he also has a number of try assists, tackle breaks, etc. I could presume he's made errors in pressure contact situations, but without knowing the circumstances of each error I might be wrong.

I could look at effectiveness. Maloney (15 games) running the ball 90 times to Marshall's 121 (16 games), and kicking 134 times to 118, but I don't have number of times passed. Further, I don't know whether they were good or bad, long or short, or in what field position. Same with running. In space or in contact? Kicking; under pressure or ad hoc?

Basically we'd need video technology to tell properly, so need to take the naked stats and add it to what we see game by game.

From what I've seen I couldn't say that he's error prone. However, I could say that he is very exuberant and pushes his play. So he gets penalised a lot. The stats reflect that, but the rest of his game outweighs it. I'm sure he bears it in mind, and I'm sure Ivan would have had a word after the earlier citings. So long as he doesn't get 'Waded'.

Maloney has done really well, and he's still learning. I like the way he plays. He's a right side runner and he's developing a good short ball on that side. In time we may even see a long ball, or the short ball fake being used to free up space out wide. He backs up well, and isn't shy in the tackle.

He's promising.

ryan1_old

Speaking of halves, some old grumpy bloke at the pub last night asked me "Is Seymour back yet", and I'm like jumping out of my skin, "Shit, YES!" I reply, and he goes, "You're gonna lose from now on in", I'm like, "WTF!", he goes, "He's a 5/8th, not a HB, the Wazzas are kidding themselves if they think they're gonna achieve much with him there", and I was pretty much left speechless because my bag of league goodies was empty after this...

Spence_old

Yeah, I'd say he was a better 5/8, but he is the best halfback in our club. I guess it comes down to playing everyone in their best position v what's best for the team.

ryan1_old

PS to add to my bag of league goodies (currently possesing: "Your Mama", "C**nt face", etc).

Spence_old

I guess it changes in each team, some teams just ply left/right halves, or each have particular roles. But in general the halfback usually works with the forwards and steers the team around the park. The 5/8's role varies alot, the most obvious difference is that they play one wider of the ruck, so they have more space to work with. But like I said, every team is different. Benji pretty much plays the same game at 6 or 7. At the Storm Cronk runs all the plays and Finch basically backs up and is the link man to the backline. At the Titans Bird doesn't really interact a huge deal with Prince, he's basically a second Lock, more of a runner of the ball. The Knights have two pretty small halves, so they have a different strategy. So on, so forth.

Iafeta_old

I too thought Brett would not be suited to halfback, more of a five eighth. But his performances at halfback have been outstanding. His kicking was good, he always seems to keep the forwards nice and direct, and always seemed to have a purpose in how he was going to close out a set of six. To sum that up, he was accurate and decisive.

As far as James Maloney goes, he is not only a very good player, but a bloke on a mission. He lost his father last year to cancer and has had other family tragedies in the last twelve months. His father was a good league player too, didn't make it to the big-time, but a good player none-the-less. The word in the family is he'd be doing his father very proud. Knowing the stock James comes from, I had absolutely no doubt whatsoever that, with some time to gain first grade experience, that he would be a very good player for us. I can't say enough about his strength of character.

The thing I like about the core group of John, Maloney and Seymour, is that they all seem to compliment each other. I never feel when they're playing together that someone is playing the maverick role, out on their own. It feels quite natural that whomever is in 6 is controlling the backs and whomever is playing halfback is directing play through the forwards.

ryan1_old

Thanks... Said grumpy bastard referred to the disaster that was Seymour at HB for the Broncs, and I said "Your Mama". Obviously I didn't win a lot of street cred for such a reply, but now I can pinch your thunder a bang it to 'em tonight instead, with a healthy sprinkling of "You C**ts" too.

Jesbass_old

Speaking of halves, some old grumpy bloke at the pub last night asked me "Is Seymour back yet", and I'm like jumping out of my skin, "Shit, YES!" I reply, and he goes, "You're gonna lose from now on in", I'm like, "WTF!", he goes, "He's a 5/8th, not a HB, the Wazzas are kidding themselves if they think they're gonna achieve much with him there", and I was pretty much left speechless because my bag of league goodies was empty after this...

It's official. You're my new favourite. (Sorry, Skinny...)

Jesbass_old

I too thought Brett would not be suited to halfback, more of a five eighth. But his performances at halfback have been outstanding. His kicking was good, he always seems to keep the forwards nice and direct, and always seemed to have a purpose in how he was going to close out a set of six. To sum that up, he was accurate and decisive.

As far as James Maloney goes, he is not only a very good player, but a bloke on a mission. He lost his father last year to cancer and has had other family tragedies in the last twelve months. His father was a good league player too, didn't make it to the big-time, but a good player none-the-less. The word in the family is he'd be doing his father very proud. Knowing the stock James comes from, I had absolutely no doubt whatsoever that, with some time to gain first grade experience, that he would be a very good player for us. I can't say enough about his strength of character.

The thing I like about the core group of John, Maloney and Seymour, is that they all seem to compliment each other. I never feel when they're playing together that someone is playing the maverick role, out on their own. It feels quite natural that whomever is in 6 is controlling the backs and whomever is playing halfback is directing play through the forwards.

Hey Feka, I know you're pretty close to the family. What sort of other tragedies has the bloke ridden through this past year? (Of course, if they're too personal, then that's fine...just curious.)

Fazz_old

Maloney is great. I happily cop the high Error and penalty counts because it means he's getting involved and playing with passion, sure it'd be good if they were lower but it's not like he's single-handedly lost us a game off errors. I'd say he's come closer to winning us a few games based off good things he's done. Looking forward to him and seymour stringing a few games together...Tonight really depends on 3 things.

1. How tired the boys backing up from last week are.
2. How fired up the Storm are.
3. How well we (mainly the halves) capitalize on the opportunities we get.