General IVAN NEEDS TO BITE THE BULLET

commonsense_old

although im new here ive been supporting the warriors for ages. the past few season have been beyond frustrating.
even though i wouldve liked brian mclennan to have taken over the warriors, i completely support ivan cleary. but it seems cleary needs to man up and realise he has made mistake in coaching this team. EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT....
team selection!! players playing out of position....
about 90% of the members in this forum agree that there needs to be a restructure in the halves.

6. Grant Rovelli - absolute great young talent... deserves a spot in the starting 13.
7. Lance Hohaia - in my eyes the teams no 1 halfback.

9. Nathan Fien - great dummyhalf runner. sadly doesnt have the attributes to make a good halfback.

everyone the team should be built around this. ivan cleary i think is scared to change the team too much because it might hurt his pride.
fair enough but having lost our first 2 games and being 2 wins away from 0 points we are in a huge whole. i think cleary should just do what's best for the team. he might think what he is doing is right but the majority of us fans think otherwise.

i absolutely hate all this negative talk but it has to be said...

da mad maori

I disagree.
No matter who Ivan selects we will still be harping on that we know best.
And yet we are not taking into account what is happening during the week with regards to who's training the house down. That is where you pick your run on squad from and your bench.
I have said this many times before and will continue to say it. The players have to take more responsibility. Its one thing to put on the jersey, its another thing to want to play and give 110% in it.

Warrioraholic_old

I have no insider info or great knowledge of team selection, but im pretty sure most teams are selected from how well players train through the week. If someone trains the house down during the week then they normally get a go, rather than if they had a great or crap day on gameday.

To further support this theory, teams would be picked by sunday if it went on on field performance but are usally picked at the end of the week after much training is done.

I personally would pick on on field performance, you can train as hard as you want and impress but raw talent cant be taught

stacey#1_old

I totally agree with u commonsense bluey mclennan should hav been the new coach and ther is some issues in the halfs in definitly. players are out of position it shows in the games too many dropped balls in the eels game costed the side and i think that ivan should take a good hard look at wher he is placin the players Hohaia should be the halfback and should be taking kicks i dont think that there is a prob in the fowards they have been stepping up its just the backs iv been a warriors supporter 4 ova 7 years now and iv noticed the changes in the team and the squad performance wise I mean when Ali lauitiiti and jerry seuseu,Logan Swann were playing the team was unstoppable in my eyes so yeah im with u on this one mate.
WARRIORS 2006 GRAND FINAL WINNERS :arrow:

Bulldog_old

The Warriors are definitely missing a stand-off with better option taking, kicking skills and the ability to control the game. I dont believe they have one in the entire squad. If they are in the financial position, having regard to the salary cap, they need to find that player for 2007. I agree that Hohaia is the best halfback at the Warriors and he should be there, with Fien at No.9 Fien has tons of enthusiasm and the Warriors need that, but his playmaking and kicking skills are mediocre.

mosh_old

It just makes perfect sense

Fien = Enthusiasm, niggly aggression, exactly what a hooker is

Hohaia = Not as aggressive, does not act on instinct and waits before taking options exactly what a halfback does

Rovelli = looks to get the people outside him into gaps with his great range of passing long and short exactly what a 5-8th does