General Ivan Cleary

Which is it for Ivan?

• Yes Ivan is the cause of our poor season.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No, he is not the reason we are playing so poorly.

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

Warriors2009_old

nah.. all ivan

bull**** so ivan is dropping the ball. iven is missing the tackles. the coach can do so much its up 2 the boys on game day 2 put it all together..so stop talking ****.one week its ropo then it was mannering then its jones & now its the coach. get over it.

Eule24_old

I have the impression, that it gets harder and harder for him to motivate the boys.
(Why? Who knows, but it seems so...:( )

Warriors2009_old

its all about attitude players & the coach & they have lost it this year.thats what i think all teams go through it. its the warriors turn this year hope we find it.

Northern_Union

I have the impression, that it gets harder and harder for him to motivate the boys.
(Why? Who knows, but it seems so...:( )

You could very well be right Eule. Certainly it could be a contributing factor.

fitzy_old

Losing a very key player right at the start of the season hasn't done them much good either. I'm not a beleiver (generally) in one player making a team, but the loss of Tait this year has been HUGE. Not just his ability, but his competitiveness, combativeness, and his no bull**** way of play. He was an inspiration himself

Rizzah_old

Do the warriors have an attacking coach or does ivan cover that? Cos whoever is doing that job needs the sack. They look bereft of ideas on attack, they never look dangerous in the opposition 20.
If things are to change next year (this year has certainly gone) this is where they need to start.

wow post number 2!

a.c.e_old

no thanks

Im with you, dont worry. but the guys c.v speaks for itself regardless of the culture that the Bulldogs have. Clear out all the crap and you'll see a winner there. I wonder if Price mentioned anything untoward his former coach.

Kid-Dynamite_old

Haha, what a joke.

Sack Cleary because we are going through a tough period.......sounds like a phrase for a Tui billboard.

Ivan Cleary is a super coach and it's not his fault. We had our chances on Friday night. Two in particular, which co-incidentally both involved Mannering, one where he made that clean linebreak and failed to link up with one of three un-marked men, and the other where Lewis Brown created the opportunity but Mannering dropped the pass.

Our attack isn't firing right!? Well to me the 7 is the conductor. He orechestrates the attack. If we aren't scoring points, he is the man I look at.

If there is one criticism I have of Cleary, I think he is to faithful to his players. Which isn't always a good thing. But in saying that we've seen Kemp, Henderson and Ropati all been dropped at some stage this year for poor form, I think Ivan needs to realise that Stacey isn't doing the job for us for the entire 80 minutes.

We had 5 clean linebreaks, 2 line drop outs and had 16 offloads on Friday. Opportunities were there and we failed to capitalise. That to me isn't the coaches fault!

Northern_Union

Ivan a super coach? Fair dink...i've heard it all now. That would make a great Tui billboard.

Northern_Union

Kid you can't tell me that the absolute mess that has been made of our halves this season isn't Ivans fault.

ToiletDuck_old

Kid you can't tell me that the absolute mess that has been made of our halves this season isn't Ivans fault.

Agreed...it is Ivan's fault. And given his continuing love affair with Jones I'm going to come out and say that the future mess of our halves is also Ivan's fault...

playdaball_old

Im with you, dont worry. but the guys c.v speaks for itself regardless of the culture that the Bulldogs have. Clear out all the crap and you'll see a winner there. I wonder if Price mentioned anything untoward his former coach.

No but El Masari praised a few people at the Dogs including current coach, Kevin Morre and his initial coach, Stan Cutler. The one person he didn't praise was Mr Folkes.

I suppose Tony Iro is being groomed for the top coaches job but in may eays it would be great to have a top flight coach who players would flock to play under. The last one we had was Monie who attracted the likes of Bell, Botica, Paltt, Betts as well as Alexander and others.

warriors4life_old

Nobody in this thread is saying we should sack Cleary, we are mostly just pointing out what he is doing wrong and how much of the 2009 season failure can be attributed to him.

However, what I read in the paper this morning though just makes him seem a bit deluded.

NZ Herald said:
Cleary, though, baulked at the idea of tinkering with the NRL squad.

"The young boys have been excellent and it maybe asks some questions of more established players," Cleary says, "but they still have improvements to make in their own game and this side is showing it is not far off.

"We already have quite a few rookies and this side will form the basis of what we will have in the future. They are still young men and even players like [hooker] Ian Henderson is only into his second full season in the NRL.

"We don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water and make changes for the sake of making changes."

He has been saying this for how long now? That this team is "almost there". I'm sorry but we are 15 games through and the same guys that he puts out on the park every week just aren't doing the job.

What further irritates me is that another article in the Herald had him believing we can still make the finals, yet that belief is pretty much contradicted by him not willing to change anything in the side, which means the result is not going to change either.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Iafeta_old

Ivan's the man cause, the visions of 2009 are short sighted. However, I wouldn't discount the Sonny Fai factor. And I wouldn't have him sacked either, I think he's a very good young coach who has already had good success and will continue to do so. I think Ivan is smart enough to review 2009, learn from it quickly and make serious improvements.

Iafeta_old

Nobody in this thread is saying we should sack Cleary, we are mostly just pointing out what he is doing wrong and how much of the 2009 season failure can be attributed to him.

However, what I read in the paper this morning though just makes him seem a bit deluded.

He has been saying this for how long now? That this team is "almost there". I'm sorry but we are 15 games through and the same guys that he puts out on the park every week just aren't doing the job.

What further irritates me is that another article in the Herald had him believing we can still make the finals, yet that belief is pretty much contradicted by him not willing to change anything in the side, which means the result is not going to change either.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

He's pulled the Warriors out of slumps before without making wholesale changes to the team. I thought the first 15-20 minutes, to the point where they shot for goal, against Brisbane was outstanding. I also think if Denan Kemp is paying attention and not worrying about the gel in his hair, and if Mannering looks inside instead of outside that we get two extra tries under the posts and I reckon that pretty much does Brisbane.

He's also shown a lot of faith to players in the past who have gone through 'slumps, like Vatuvei, Hohaia, Rapira, and generally those players have come through the other side and repaid him big time.

THe only blokes I think who we need to replace are Lilyman and McKinnon. I've been an avid fan of Wade's but clearly he's going through some turmoil with his pace due to the injury. Next season I'm sure he'll be back, but for now Locke should be getting involved more which would happen if he's fullback.

Northern_Union

Maybe, but then again the revelation of Kevin Locke and Lewis Brown is Ivan's fault as well!

How can you draw a coralation between the *******isation that has taken place with our halves that is fair and square down to Ivan and two good young footballers that are making there mark? Locke and Brown are showning footballing talent at a young age, nothing to do with Cleary. After all Kid, you yourself had spotted Lockes talent long before he hit first grade.....whats Ivan got to with that?

Kid-Dynamite_old

How can you draw a coralation between the *******isation that has taken place with our halves that is fair and square down to Ivan and two good young footballers that are making there mark? Locke and Brown are showning footballing talent at a young age, nothing to do with Cleary. After all Kid, you yourself had spotted Lockes talent long before he hit first grade.....whats Ivan got to with that?

I think it's a little unfair to say the good players doing good things are down to football ability and nothing to do with Cleary and yet the players who are struggling is put down "fair and square down to Ivan "

Northern_Union

I think it's a little unfair to say the good players doing good things are down to football ability and nothing to do with Cleary and yet the players who are struggling is put down "fair and square down to Ivan "

Kevin Locke has spent a couple of seasons under Tony Iro as well local Auckland coaches. Brown has spent most of his time under local Christchurch coaches and you want to give credit to Ivan?

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings