General Ivan Cleary

Northern_Union

Then read the post that says Ah Van left Kemp exposed on a number of occasions, probably all of the occasions he's talking about. As DK said, NU sees what he wants to see.

I see whats in front of me. Just you did when it came to Aiden Kirk. Both average wingers.

Northern_Union

He also thinks wingers are more important than halves to the success of a team...

Truth is if we had good halves, you could throw Jesbass on Kemp's wing and we'd still win more games than we are currently.

Prove that statement with a quote or retract it.

Lego_Man_old

Northern Union said:
Heres something else that is bugging me, why is everyone targeting Jones when we have a winger offering nothing?

Is that good enough?

KeepingTheFaith_old

I'm not sure about behind the scenes stuff as far as the club goes, but considering what happened to Sonny it's not impossible to suggest some of them are struggling to cope.

I don't think it's affecting them on the field, but nobody here knows what the boys go through in their private time and those who are suffering the most won't be as prepared as they could be if they're struggling to deal with their grief and having roller coaster days where you're up one minute and then down the next, and then up again only to feel guilty for feeling better because it feels like you're betraying a friends/family members memory. It sucks to go through at the best of times, I can't imagine how much harder it is for them to stay 100% focused on the season in front of them.

Reminds me a lot of Ali. He was on fire in 2002 and then got the shock of his life when the doctors found a cyst in his arm and he was out for quite a while. I remember a few interviews before Ali came back from that and he quite often mentioned how it opened his eyes and made him realise what's really important and that league is just a game. When he came back he still tried hard, but that extra 10% just wasn't there and when I watch some of the players this year I can't help but get that same feeling. They're trying hard, but they lack the passion/heart and don't seem that disturbed when things go against them. There's not the same fire/aggression in the likes of Ropati, Henderson, McKinnon etc.

I'm in no way saying this is what's happening, just throwing it up as a possibility.

KeepingTheFaith_old

Three hit ups yesterday.

And 3 dummy half runs, and 2 kick returns.

8 runs in all, the same amount as Mannering and Ah Van, more than Jones, Moon, Packer, Henderson, Lillyman, and only one less than Vatuvei, Matulino, Rapira, Hohaia.

I'd say he was about par for the course in regards to getting his hands on the ball and running it yesterday.

garyhobson_old

I'm not sure about behind the scenes stuff as far as the club goes, but considering what happened to Sonny it's not impossible to suggest some of them are struggling to cope.

I don't think it's affecting them on the field, but nobody here knows what the boys go through in their private time and those who are suffering the most won't be as prepared as they could be if they're struggling to deal with their grief and having roller coaster days where you're up one minute and then down the next, and then up again only to feel guilty for feeling better because it feels like you're betraying a friends/family members memory. It sucks to go through at the best of times, I can't imagine how much harder it is for them to stay 100% focused on the season in front of them.

Reminds me a lot of Ali. He was on fire in 2002 and then got the shock of his life when the doctors found a cyst in his arm and he was out for quite a while. I remember a few interviews before Ali came back from that and he quite often mentioned how it opened his eyes and made him realise what's really important and that league is just a game. When he came back he still tried hard, but that extra 10% just wasn't there and when I watch some of the players this year I can't help but get that same feeling. They're trying hard, but they lack the passion/heart and don't seem that disturbed when things go against them. There's not the same fire/aggression in the likes of Ropati, Henderson, McKinnon etc.

I'm in no way saying this is what's happening, just throwing it up as a possibility.

Neither of those 3 guys you mention should have been resigned. Wade was resigned last year for a further 3 seasons, i said at the time that was stupid because we didnt know how well he would bounce back after a season out of the game with a knee injury, also being 28 years old, and that we have got good fullbacks coming through.

As for Ian Henderson, the Warriors need to start developing nz talent in our key positions of 1,6,7,9. There are some good hookers in this squad, and out there in the nrl. This was a waste of money.

Jerome is just too inconsistant and always will be. For a man who has played over 100nrl games, kiwi test rep, won a wc, you would expect more from this guy.

KeepingTheFaith_old

Neither of those 3 guys you mention should have been resigned. Wade was resigned last year for a further 3 seasons, i said at the time that was stupid because we didnt know how well he would bounce back after a season out of the game with a knee injury, also being 28 years old, and that we have got good fullbacks coming through.

As for Ian Henderson, the Warriors need to start developing nz talent in our key positions of 1,6,7,9. There are some good hookers in this squad, and out there in the nrl. This was a waste of money.

Jerome is just too inconsistant and always will be. For a man who has played over 100nrl games, kiwi test rep, won a wc, you would expect more from this guy.

The Warriors have a history of locking people up to long term contracts too early rather than giving it time to see how they perform consistently. It's how we ended up getting stuck with Rovelli.

I really don't think McKinnon will see out his contract. I don't know why, it's just a feeling. There's no fire/passion in what he does and I think for such a competitive guy, whatever's bothering him is going to show long before his contract is up.

Ropati would be a great player if we never had to defend. Can't knock his ability to attack/gain metres from dummy half. He can have the odd shocker with his hands, but the area that really lets him down is defence. For a guy that's so physically strong he shouldn't get bumped off as easily as he does. He goes too high, has no balance and needs to get into a lower body position.

Then again, the lack of aggression in defence could be applied to our entire team.

I think a lot of Hendersons problems come from the powderpuff forward displays and the soft backrow. Our go forward is too stuttered to give him the opportunity to make an impression. I think our service out of dummy half has also been lacking for this reason. You need to get the defence going backwards when the ball is cleared, not sprinting forward.

Lego_Man_old

To prove that wingers own the result? Your kidding arn't you?

Ok let me break it down for you.

You asked:

Heres something else that is bugging me, why is everyone targeting Jones when we have a winger offering nothing?

What you're saying here is that people should focus on the underperforming winger rather than the underperforming halfback.

And i maintain that your selection of winger doesnt have anywhere near as much of an overall bearing on the result. Which is why your harassment of Kemp is really taking the eye off the ball in terms of team selections.

fitzy_old

Jeez, last year everyone was saying we should sign Ivan for the next decade. What's actually changed? Honestly I can't see a quick or easy fix to these problems, but I somehow think a lot of it comes down to attitude. The warriors seem to be lacking the will at the moment. They need some fire in their bellies, and that comes from within, no matter what the coach says to them.

romel_old

You asked:

What you're saying here is that people should focus on the underperforming winger rather than the underperforming halfback.

And i maintain that your selection of winger doesnt have anywhere near as much of an overall bearing on the result. Which is why your harassment of Kemp is really taking the eye off the ball in terms of team selections.

yep true we could have folau playing for us on the wing and still get no tries it all starts from the middle play makers, starting from no.9 then to 7 then to no.1 if these 3 players can do the job right tries will come easily for wingers.

atm we have ruff nut hooker whos just wants to smash everyone and run from dummy half to try and get a penalty for offside... and retired no.7 out of gas with a UNFIT SLOW fullback. =no tries.

Last edited by a moderator:

Northern_Union

You asked:

Your original assertion was
He also thinks wingers are more important than halves to the success of a team...

I asked you to quote where i have ever said that? For the record i think that the pack has as much if not more of a bearing on the results than a half back or winger.

Spence_old

I'm not sure. I think Heremaia would be the next hooker off the ranks though.

Is this the first year he has played hooker?

Spence_old

Yes, you're right. Forgot about him.

Magic Stick_old

My mates that watch the Vulcans regulary say Heremaia has very good distribution out of dummy half,good kicking game and can run well also

They dont rate Godinet or John, i watched John alot last year,can be brilliant and then outright horrible,The Vulcans have been getting smashed every week also

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings