General Ivan Cleary

sebastian_old

Until our forwards start competing, we haven't a show. Price is carrying our starting pack, and carrying it in a big way. He's an awesome player in brilliant form, but he cannot be left to work alone, especially during the Origin period when he's going to have some quiet club games. Funnily enough, he's still invariably our best forward by whatever stretch one could measure. This team only looked like we even knew where the advantage line was once Pricey began to work with Evarn and Sam Rapira, and we did manage some momentum and we were bending the Parramatta pack. Taking Wiki out, we need another player in the mix somewhere, a big man with a bit of mobility to cover front and back rows given Evarn or Sam would be starting. I look over our roster...he isn't there. Something in me is wanting Richard Villasanti back, and that really worries me.

Wai's a great hole runner, we'll need to use him on the edges hitting the ball at pace, and use him for long periods eventually, playing 65+ minute spells that he was when we saw him at his peak in 2005. I see Wairangi in that Number 11 very, very shortly, when he gets some match fitness. At least he offers something slightly different in our backrow; some pace, footwork, a fend, some ability to find holes. He did slip through early in the game. Anderson, Swann and Luck are perhaps, when working together, the most useless attacking backrow in the last decade. Hell, the Souths backrow of 2002 with Adam Muir, Luke Stuart and Shane Rigon were better, and that team won three games.

Witt's performance was...Witt's performance wasn't. I'm still convinced Jerome's our five-eighth, but he needs an effective pack and, well, whoever the halfback. There's the brilliant, ad-hoc Lance Hohaia that will pull huge plays from nowhere to get this team moving and instill some belief. There's also greedy, boneheaded ad-hoc Lance Hohaia and his arsenal of early, non threatening, well-covered kicks. When he passes, runs, kicks intelligently...he's quite a player. Whether that makes him a worthy halfback or not, I don't know. I guess some greediness is better than uselessness.

Frig, even Hame Lauaki can strike a bit of fear into the opposition, and he's got a mean fend. Maybe Sonny Fai just needs a run, because right now, we need something and Louis Anderson is losing brain cells like he's being pummelled by Mohammad Ali. The chemistry in this team just isn't right - I worry that it won't be right anytime soon.

Outstanding post bro, every paragraph got better!!

Skinny_Ravs82

I'll get shot for this but...despite things not happening at all for us, I trust they know what they are doing. Sure it isn't always the best solution they come up with and quite frankly I don't always agree but I've got my trust in them no matter what

KeepingTheFaith_old

Our backrow is terrible. From memory when was the last time a Warriors back rower broke the line, or even a single tackle? Compare that to Watmough, Bird, Gallen, Stewart, Thompson, Johnson, Hoffman, who all back up their props with regular 100+ metre games, bend the line back creating space for the halves and outside backs.

Yes we're too australianised, and on top of that with the exception of Price and McKinnon our Australians are second rate cast offs. We've worked so hard on building depth we've sacrificed individual talent that you sometimes need to win games when the team isn't at its best. The Warriors can't win when they're not at their best and who cares about depth when the players you bring in are just as mediocre as the ones they're replacing?

Either we bring in fresh faces and build for the future, or we rotate the same old style of players we've been going with all season.

KeepingTheFaith_old

Just another fault, and I never thought I'd say this about a Warriors side, but do we lack size? Our forwards aren't that big. Sure guys like Swann and Anderson are tall, but they're not built like Watmough, Gallen etc.

sebastian_old

In relation to Ivan the only thing you could critise him on is the signing/retention of players but does he even have a major say on that? If you purely judge him on working with with the players we've got he's not doing that bad of a job, we only have 2 stars in our team, Ruben & Steve but with Ruben playing almost parylised what players do we have left that could be called stars? We have a very, very average roster & i don't know whether Ivan's to blame for that, i can't forget what he did last year with almost the same players, he got them over the -4 & normally would've made the finals, he turned rookies into shining lights & got average players playing great. Tonights coaches conference was one of the hardest i've ever watched, Ivan was absoloutly shattered so he cares a great deal about the team. I'm still sure he's a good coach & have no doubts with a different roster he would be coaching a top 4 team. I think whoever does sign players really has a massive job on their hands this year, we are obviously missing players from last year they thought we wouldn't miss so some of these gaping holes in our team must be filled. I agree with the people that say signing Brent Tate wouldn't solve our problems but signing 2 or 3 players of his callibare would certinly be a start. We have to stop signing mediocore players because it is killing our team, if we're having trouble financially it would just be better to sign a group of talented NZ youth & slowly pump them through, i'm sure Ivan could develop them.

sebastian_old

Another strange thing about this season has been the lack of debutents, i remember last year Ivan saying this club was a "youth & development club" & thats why we were not not going to go chasing any big signatures but the only person to debut this year has been a 27 yr old workoholic 2nd rower. I think this club feeds off having fresh young talent in the team & our most successfull years prove that to be true so if we are a development club why havn't we debuted any youngsters this year? I really think some fresh talent, raw or not would benifit this team greatly!!

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings