General Ivan Cleary

IanS_old

Ok, so we've ripped Manu Vatuvei to pieces. We've ripped Ropati to pieces, and we've ripped Rovelli to pieces too, but what about Cleary?

It was his call to leave Manu on the field, so he must accept a large responsibility for what happened.

He's the bloke in charge of a team that is almost sending us to sleep with a game plan that revolves around 5 hit ups and then hopeful bombs to the corner.

Where's the flair? One of the Warriors greatest assets was their ability to open up play at the drop of a hat. Have we become so boringly structured, that we've forgotten how to attack? The last time I saw it was against Souths.

I dunno. It's frustrating. I might get flamed for this, but I think this team has become too Australianised.

Mone_old

I see what your saying but Australianised? like Thurston Lockyer Bowen Wesser Slater Inglis well you get my point.

IanS_old

I see what your saying but Australianised? like Thurston Lockyer Bowen Wesser Slater Inglis well you get my point.

The Australians in our team are hardly like those guys you mention. I doubt we'd play the style we do with those guys in the side.

mosh_old

I think the problem is that Ivan Cleary is too stubborn at times to change the gameplan. He should have brought Manu off, as well as some other players. I know Cleary may think that everything will sort it self out, but I do not think anyone would blame Ivan if he changed things around and did things that were out of the blue. All we want from Ivan is that he can try different things and allow us to finally win again.

Whats the bet there will be no changes next week?

Mone_old

Yeah that was my point weve just got terriblised.Cleary admitted he had the side playing too structured.
I think that people are upset that when we used to lose before we still made the highlight reels.

Esoj_old

perhaps a touch australianised but you need forwards to do the job. wiki is a passenger and has been for a good few weeks and with the revalation of his neck injury we know why. tonight there was not much in the forwards apart from price and rapira. there is a time for flair but you do need a forward platform too. tonight we had almost nothing. the attack was also completely useless tonight. witt was almost non-existent again. the attack improved noticeably with hohaia on the field and ropati off it. hohaia needs to be wearing the 7 jumper next week.

cleary needs to make changes next week to try and stop the sinking ship. wiki has to be dropped 37 mins 46 metre = passenger. witt non-existent at attack dropped to 6 at least with hohaia at 7. manu dropped to pl and and crockett or byrne brought in. give fai a go for anderson or koopu or luck or almost any of our forwards.

Mone_old

I agree with most except Hiho him and Fien both get to no mans land they run the ball to far to give the runner an option and they dont run far enough to commit defenders.
But hey there isnt anyone else.

tHe_maC_old

Who was going to to onto the wing for him?

I don't think you can blame Ivan, I think he does very well for the 2nd rate players he has.

Mone_old

Who was going to to onto the wing for him?

I don't think you can blame Ivan, I think he does very well for the 2nd rate players he has.
Yup your right, once they get onto the field its up to them, you can guarantee dropping the ball and giving away penalties is not part of the gameplan.

Joe 90_old

With our playing roster your not going to get that "flair" game. We dont have those Lauiti'iti, Stacey,Toopi,Faumauina,Webb type creative players and no matter who you put in the halves none of them can put there stamp on a game in a dominant fashion on a consistent basis.

Ivan i beleive is playing the only game he can which is one based on go forward,field postion and a low error rate. However in the last 4 weeks we have come out on the wrong side of the ledger in all these areas hence we'll always struggle.

Budo_old

Beside our substandard showing from our players did anyone else think the Ref had a stinker as far as the Warriors were concerned or is that my one eyedness seeing things again

Esoj_old

quite simply without go forward we won't do anything. price and rapira can't do it all on their own. wiki is a passenger and guys like anderson aren't offering much at all.

ref made a few interesting calls but for once nothing that cost us the game. it seems to be every second week the ref costs us the game so look out next week for the ref

Last edited by a moderator:

Murphdogg1_old

Its 100% agree with the thread starter

We need to bring in the kids - Solomona, Fai, Start.

take tonight for example. Tony Martin vs Timana Tahu - its not even close. Centre is one of the main attacking weapons on a league field and we have a very 'solid' defensive, intelligent centre in Mannering and a tradesmen in Martin. Martin has his place within certain teams but we need gamebreakers. Its amazing what a couple of players can do.

Mone_old

Just on Rapira I think having Price around he can become one of the best props in the game.

Esoj_old

we could have someone like tate in our team at centre but even he would struggle with the amount of go forward we got tonight. sure someone like tate would pull off something special now and then but without good consistient go forward he would not do much. a good centre would also need to actually get the ball when we do make it down the other end and without a decent halves pairing that wouldn't happen either.

Mone_old

Even a running 5/8 with a take control halfback that calls all the shots with confidence, right now its like "I think its your turn I went last time"

MightyWarriors_old

Until our forwards start competing, we haven't a show. Price is carrying our starting pack, and carrying it in a big way. He's an awesome player in brilliant form, but he cannot be left to work alone, especially during the Origin period when he's going to have some quiet club games. Funnily enough, he's still invariably our best forward by whatever stretch one could measure. This team only looked like we even knew where the advantage line was once Pricey began to work with Evarn and Sam Rapira, and we did manage some momentum and we were bending the Parramatta pack. Taking Wiki out, we need another player in the mix somewhere, a big man with a bit of mobility to cover front and back rows given Evarn or Sam would be starting. I look over our roster...he isn't there. Something in me is wanting Richard Villasanti back, and that really worries me.

Wai's a great hole runner, we'll need to use him on the edges hitting the ball at pace, and use him for long periods eventually, playing 65+ minute spells that he was when we saw him at his peak in 2005. I see Wairangi in that Number 11 very, very shortly, when he gets some match fitness. At least he offers something slightly different in our backrow; some pace, footwork, a fend, some ability to find holes. He did slip through early in the game. Anderson, Swann and Luck are perhaps, when working together, the most useless attacking backrow in the last decade. Hell, the Souths backrow of 2002 with Adam Muir, Luke Stuart and Shane Rigon were better, and that team won three games.

Witt's performance was...Witt's performance wasn't. I'm still convinced Jerome's our five-eighth, but he needs an effective pack and, well, whoever the halfback. There's the brilliant, ad-hoc Lance Hohaia that will pull huge plays from nowhere to get this team moving and instill some belief. There's also greedy, boneheaded ad-hoc Lance Hohaia and his arsenal of early, non threatening, well-covered kicks. When he passes, runs, kicks intelligently...he's quite a player. Whether that makes him a worthy halfback or not, I don't know. I guess some greediness is better than uselessness.

Frig, even Hame Lauaki can strike a bit of fear into the opposition, and he's got a mean fend. Maybe Sonny Fai just needs a run, because right now, we need something and Louis Anderson is losing brain cells like he's being pummelled by Mohammad Ali. The chemistry in this team just isn't right - I worry that it won't be right anytime soon.

Mone_old

Until our forwards start competing, we haven't a show. Price is carrying our starting pack, and carrying it in a big way. He's an awesome player in brilliant form, but he cannot be left to work alone, especially during the Origin period when he's going to have some quiet club games. Funnily enough, he's still invariably our best forward by whatever stretch one could measure. This team only looked like we even knew where the advantage line was once Pricey began to work with Evarn and Sam Rapira, and we did manage some momentum and we were bending the Parramatta pack. Taking Wiki out, we need another player in the mix somewhere, a big man with a bit of mobility to cover front and back rows given Evarn or Sam would be starting. I look over our roster...he isn't there. Something in me is wanting Richard Villasanti back, and that really worries me.

Wai's a great hole runner, we'll need to use him on the edges hitting the ball at pace, and use him for long periods eventually, playing 65+ minute spells that he was when we saw him at his peak in 2005. I see Wairangi in that Number 11 very, very shortly, when he gets some match fitness. At least he offers something slightly different in our backrow; some pace, footwork, a fend, some ability to find holes. He did slip through early in the game. Anderson, Swann and Luck are perhaps, when working together, the most useless attacking backrow in the last decade. Hell, the Souths backrow of 2002 with Adam Muir, Luke Stuart and Shane Rigon were better, and that team won three games.

Witt's performance was...Witt's performance wasn't. I'm still convinced Jerome's our five-eighth, but he needs an effective pack and, well, whoever the halfback. There's the brilliant, ad-hoc Lance Hohaia that will pull huge plays from nowhere to get this team moving and instill some belief. There's also greedy, boneheaded ad-hoc Lance Hohaia and his arsenal of early, non threatening, well-covered kicks. When he passes, runs, kicks intelligently...he's quite a player. Whether that makes him a worthy halfback or not, I don't know. I guess some greediness is better than uselessness.

Frig, even Hame Lauaki can strike a bit of fear into the opposition, and he's got a mean fend. Maybe Sonny Fai just needs a run, because right now, we need something and Louis Anderson is losing brain cells like he's being pummelled by Mohammad Ali. The chemistry in this team just isn't right - I worry that it won't be right anytime soon.
I totally disagree about Louie hes no dumber than hes ever been lol.
Koopu I see the same way a few games and he should be hitting holes again, but who will pass him the ball?

Esoj_old

I totally disagree about Louie hes no dumber than hes ever been lol.
Koopu I see the same way a few games and he should be hitting holes again, but who will pass him the ball?

hopefully hohaia very soon wearing the 7 jumper.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings