Staff Ivan Cleary

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
to be fair to Ivan he got 1 year with Shaun and got sacked before he could coach his son at Penrith
Didn’t get sacked-he chose a better offer at Penrith that Warriors wouldn’t match. In fact I think he’s our only former coach to have never been sacked

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
He was already playing ISP before Mbye joined, and they selected a 21yr old debutant to cover for Reynolds being out on the weekend ahead of Tui. He might get a run at centre now that Fonua's broken his arm.
Yes I understand. Be interesting to see what happens next given he was playing ISP AND they’ve signed more depth....

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
The finals Clearly will win a final .
The thing about them is you have to be in them
An then its one game at a time .
The tigers will build a descent team .
Our recruitment is way more on point .
SK has replaced just about our whole forward pack
An got us competition for spots in the back line .
Beale like him or not is trying hard to get into a firstgrade spot .
An got us a good half ...
I'm happy with SK
But I wish we had kept cleary .
An if SK gets shafted I would like to
See him here again .If we can get our juniors coming
Up .The recruitment is not an issue . ..An he did bring Maloney
So he can pull off the odd player buy .But he's good at bringing talent
Through ..not so hot on recruiting .But he can get a team to win .

Reactions: 3rdstriker

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
He seems a lot better at rebuilding clubs than a lot of other coaches who spend 3 years assembling their roster or learning the landscape of the club, get fired move to the next club and rinse and repeat.

It would of been interesting to see him at Penrith with another year or two as the year he was fired they had a horrendous injury toll.

How he builds the Tigers over the next few years will be good to observe. Can they go the next step from mid table to finals, then deeper into the finals.

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
I think Cleary is doing a great job at the Tigers.

They're in a much better position than people expected this year and light years away from where they were when Jason Taylor was coach.

He's really into getting value for money from his players, which is something the Tigers weren't known for in the past.
I wouldn't go that far... I'd say reasonable progress. I think the press wished for more and the Tigers rode a wave of NSW emotion for a while.
I agree he inherited a dogs breakfast part way through a season, but he had the luxury of a sizeable cleanout within a very short time and hence significant money in the bank to go out and recruit to suit his requirements. In my opinion he did a poor job of this very unusual opportunity. Most coaches have to go at least a full season before they can make 4-5 key roster changes, often longer. He also had the luxury of a sizeable pool of home based Sydney players to tempt and hardly any regular travel considerations...what did he go after?
Ivan is OK, he's no messiah and given the years of 1st grade coaching experience he's had, arguably should be doing better.

For me, after some turmoil, I'm very pleased we now have SK. I certainly wouldn't exchange.

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
The problem with Cleary is that he can't recruit just look at what happend with Woods, Moses and Tadesco leaving. Kearney on the other hand keep Johnson & Sheck and recruited Tohu Harris

Woods signed with the Bulldogs before Cleary was announced.

Cleary made an offer to Moses and stood his ground.

If the Tigers bowed to the player demands, they would have had about half their cap tied up in three players who couldn't get the club to the finals when they were on less money (therefore leaving more for other players).

Cleary did the right thing.

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
In 2011 we scraped into 8th spot post Ivan announcing he was off. If we lost our first finals game that year, I doubt we would look back as fondly at Cleary's reign at the Warriors.

I think Cleary is a good coach, but don't rate his recruitment that much. He had second rowers up the wazoo when here, and for some reason is recruiting 6's for the Tigers and trying to make the numbers work. He is a sucker for mediocre, solid players, rather than investing in what I would call exciting prospects. Remember Johnson only making the team after Seymour fall apart, even though he barely a first grade player in the first place.

The $$ he's investing into Packer and Matulino is a bit of a worry, with both on large, long contracts, without being able to lead forward packs. Packer was pretty good for the Dragons, but beside the beasts of Vaughan, Frizzell and De Belin, he was always going to have front foot ball. He's a solid, un flashy first grade prop. Rochow starting week in week out is disturbing, and then throw in Taylor at hooker.. He has his favorites for sure.

Penrith is a bit of an exception, with the largest and most talented League region in Aus currently. I think he was unfairly handled there, there's more to that story though.

I think he's got the tigers moving in the right direction, and is a great player manager. Will be watching with interest to see what he does to the Tigs roster over the next 2 seasons. If he can get his boy on board, a dynamic hooker and some decent second rowers, the Tigers will be looking good.

Although there are the rumours around he'll be meeting his son @ the Cocks 2020 so who knows.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
A dour safe player and personality.

Just the sort of person the Warriors needed to spend six years around, to prove their flamboyance isn't the only type of Rugby League they are capable of.

League can be a very dour game, especially the Australian style of it, Ivans second row heavy Warriors will surely be remembered among the more boring of teams we rolled out.

The Icing on that cake, the twinkle in that eye was the Beast.

I always wondered what Ivan would have done without Manu.

He wouldn't have done six years at the Warriors for starters.

It often felt we had nothing apart from a second man play, a nippy dummy half run, and a Kick to Manu in Ivan's time.

Funny that he imported two Rocks and Diamonds players from the Eels to Jazz up the Warriors a bit, they went alright too, but there are plenty of that sort running around in NZ.

Kearney did his best impression of Ivan last year with the mania of completions.

Probably the key difference between the two is that Kearney has a lot of friends in the Coaching and playing world, and he has used them to model something that looks a lot like some other teams...especially the Dragons....whereas Ivan took a whole lot of cheap bits and tried to invent his wheel.

Good coach, deserves everything he achieves...and glad he is doing it elsewhere.,

Last edited:

pleatedpantspete

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 9, 2012
Hard to blame Ivan for our recruitment during his time here. We couldn't get anyone over. I remember Brett kimorly retired over playing here.

Our spine during his time was pretty awful and there was very little nz talent going. Michael Witt, grant Rovelli, joel
Moon... remember Nathan Fien as the kiwis half back?!?

I still think he's been one of our best, I wonder what sk would have done with the same roster. Or even what a Wayne Bennett or Craig Bellamy would have done with grant Ravelli as your starting half.

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
Hard to blame Ivan for our recruitment during his time here. We couldn't get anyone over. I remember Brett kimorly retired over playing here.

Our spine during his time was pretty awful and there was very little nz talent going. Michael Witt, grant Rovelli, joel
Moon... remember Nathan Fien as the kiwis half back?!?

I still think he's been one of our best, I wonder what sk would have done with the same roster. Or even what a Wayne Bennett or Craig Bellamy would have done with grant Ravelli as your starting half.
Ivan had 6 years to sort it out hence I say no more excuses for him it was his roster for 4 of those 6 years, allowing for the first one or two years maybe.
JD and SK got moving on what he/they wanted in 12 months in spite of the same challenges of players moving to NZ. SK got rid of the folks that he did not want, Tui and Matalino included...along with the others from the famous night out, Manu included. No regrets from me on that front.....

I understand that others may see it different.

pleatedpantspete

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 9, 2012
Ivan had 6 years to sort it out hence I say no more excuses for him it was his roster for 4 of those 6 years, allowing for the first one or two years maybe.
JD and SK got moving on what he/they wanted in 12 months in spite of the same challenges of players moving to NZ. SK got rid of the folks that he did not want, Tui and Matalino included...along with the others from the famous night out, Manu included. No regrets from me on that front.....

I understand that others may see it different.

I think everyone forgets how hard it was to get Aussie players over during that time though. That can't be all Ivan's fault. We couldn't compete for Australian players without paying massive overs back then. We had such a young squad because we were blooding so many of our Under 20s. .

It was also before the new tv/salary cap deal, which surely helped us out.

Another thing people forget pretty quick is we were a top 8 club under Ivan. We only missed finals twice, once was the unfortunate 09 season, and the other was the 06 season which we would have made if it wasn't for salary cap breaches from the previous year.

I dunno.... people have short memories I guess. I still rate him highly. I miss making the finals every year.

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
I think Cleary is doing a great job at the Tigers.

They're in a much better position than people expected this year and light years away from where they were when Jason Taylor was coach.

He's really into getting value for money from his players, which is something the Tigers weren't known for in the past.

I agree with this, but I never understood why Taylor kept getting first grade jobs. Hasn't had success since his first year at the Eels. Got smacked up by one of his players, must be a sweet talker like our mate Matt Elliott.

Your last statement about value for money, I don't really agree. Packer & Matulino on long term, $600k+ deals each is not good value IMO. Reynolds on his salary is nuts. The guy is a competitor, but no star. McQueen, I don't think he signed him but a definition of wasted cap. Alex Twal is a good pick up, and at bargain basement price Rochow has delivered. Marshall has been OK, not sure how much he is getting though.

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
We are early into the Cleary rebuild at the moment and despite having an isp quality backline they are still 10th. Unlike most other teams they have plenty of room to move in their salary cap and Mbye is the first piece in that puzzle. It’s going to be a slow rebuild but I think they will improve over the next couple years.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings