Staff Ivan Cleary

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Ivan was a "good" coach(hell probably a very good coach) that is being remembered as a "great" coach because of the horrible crap coaches that followed him. Would be interesting to see how Ivan would be remembered had we gotten a half competent coach in 2012..

Shame Anderson lost the sheds as I still rate him as our greatest coach and am sad at what could have been.
Anderson was an outstanding recruitment guy and skills coach, I was thinking the other day that if they can see fit to bring Iro back........( Anderson could be a brilliant director of footy)

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Anderson was an outstanding recruitment guy and skills coach, I was thinking the other day that if they can see fit to bring Iro back........( Anderson could be a brilliant director of footy)

Good point about Andersons recruitment, he pretty much had to build a new team after the Auckland Warriors went under and his team went quite well as history shows. Maybe hes what we need to do it again in a director ala gould role

Reactions: Sup42

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
Guys, time to truly move on. Ivan has.

He is Coach of the Year because he's in Sydney, that simple. He's done a great job at the Panthers and deserves the Gong, Yet remarkably similar to his time at the Warriors, only done it in Sydney.

They've bought some great players, they've played great footy, they've performed above expectations and still not made the big dance - sound familiar?!

If Locke stayed we may not have had Tomkins at FB, if Brown stayed we may not have had Hurrell, you can't retrospectively hand pick events to change and retain the good ones as well!!

When Ivan wins the big one give it to me for a week, I'll take it. Until then, show me Cappy with the same time in 1st Grade and I'll show you a Premiership.

As I said the other night, I trust its all part of a process and I am happy enough that Cappy is our man.

Onwards...

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Dont get me wrong - i want to see cappy take the warriors to a semi final, i want to see the warriors win a GF. But your underrating what Ivan has done. He took the warriors to the GF then got the boot, went to a new club that was total shit, kicked out their best players and pulled in some very average ones and within 3 years has built the club up to a Semi final. It may be fair to say he is a good coach or a very good coach. But what that shows is that there is some very average coaches out there atm.
Ivan didnt quite pull off the cinderella story but he got damn close. Look at the Rabbits roster and how many years it has taken them to get to a GF. Look at Manly and their roster. Look at the Cowboys and their roster, Look at the warriors and their roster.

IMO yes the worst decision ever made by the club.

Daniel Anderson was responsible for his own demise (unfortunately, because this defn would be up there for equal value of ARGH as a fan).

Last edited:

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
Correct Mt.W

I did mention in an earlier post that since the ARLC it has been a return to the NSWRL.

Goes without saying 2002 was prior to the ARLC.

***Edit - it was at 11.58pm yesterday in the Dally M thread not this one.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
In their most successful seasons, Anderson’s team won 17/24 (71%) and Cleary’s team won 14/24 (58%) of their regular seasons games. Keep on with the same W:L ratio that they’re on at the moment and Kearney’s team will finish the same as Anderson at 71%.
Just an observation, but I don't see too many ''bring back Ivan'' posts on here of late?
SK is doing a fine job and a touch better than the Tigers I'd say? They were very ordinary this weekend... certainly bottom 8 material. Not convinced that Mbye will make much difference.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Just an observation, but I don't see too many ''bring back Ivan'' posts on here of late?
SK is doing a fine job and a touch better than the Tigers I'd say? They were very ordinary this weekend... certainly bottom 8 material. Not convinced that Mbye will make much difference.

They shouldn't let Ivan do the recruiting, he's locking into place a team that screams 10th every year, if Brooks, Reynolds, Mbye, Packer, Matulino is the foundation of your team, you won't come last, but you definitely won't win anything.

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
Fair call - I put my hand up for that one.

I was wrong, shortsighted, overly emotive and somewhat lacking in my judgement.

I’ll just step over here and give myself a good talking to....

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
Sounds like you can add Farah to your list - Apparently going back to the Tigers.. I see Matulino only ran for 40 odd metres last week, thank god we don't have him under delivering on what we all know he CAN do. They will look a lot better if the had a decent back rower or 2, Rochow and Lawrence are pretty ordinary. Add in Taylor and it gets worse. They stuffed up paying for McQueen to play ISP.

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
Just watched the Tigers replay and it’s hirrible to watch unless you’re a Raider.

With Mbye joining them today, I wonder what happens to Tui going forward.

Could have been a marquee Winger or centre here I believe. Would have been nice to have seen a post Corvo Tui before he left.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Ivan’s always been good at setting a solid base and then not being able to kick on to the next level with it. I guess in hindsight it would have been better to be a 6-10 team under Ivan than what we’ve had, but I doubt we would have come near winning it either

Reactions: Spence

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings