General IT IS TIME FOR A COMPLETE REBUILD

mrblonde

mrblonde

Did somebody mention Phil Gould?:rolleyes: WTF are Penrith these days? How many coaches, how many players, how much progress? Nah this is a complete rebuild. I hate to say it but it might pay to sack the whole bloody lot and start again. That is what hard bastards do when they want to cure cancer.

Except sometimes the cancer patient dies due to what the hard bastards did to cure the cancer. From legal and publicity points of view, I can't see the fans or NRL accepting - or in the case of the NRL allowing - a "Sack 'Em All" approach.

And even if they did, you've got to get a coach who works well under those circumstances but, then, you'll have to say "Thanks! Bye!" because he can't take the club any further due to his own skill set/preferences etc.

On top of that, how many of those "Rebuilds" have brought long-term sustainable success? Maybe a year or two of iprovement, but, using Newcastle as an example, it's on the verge of going bung very badly.

Last edited:
bruce

bruce

Contributor
On top of that, how many of those "Rebuilds" have brought long-term sustainable success? Maybe a year or two of iprovement, but, using Newcastle as an example, it's on the verge of going bung very badly.
Newcastle is a good example. A fantastic fan base, a foundation club, good junior development. They have had some good coaches there too. Penrith is almost as good, money to burn and the ultimate guru to put it right.

Reactions: Worried2Death
Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
New coach, CEOx2, owners, new positions for experienced director of football, elite trainer, elite recruiter and Fusitu'a as the longest serving NZ Warrior (closely followed by Lisone, Maumalo, Ayshford). As close to a rebuild as you can get surely?

That's why it hurts so much this time. How have we ended up worse?

Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Interesting having a look back - only 9 of the 30 players pre-date SK and three of them are leaving (Luke, Ayshford, Sao). The other 6 are Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Lisone, Roache, Fusitu'a, Maumalo, Afoa.

Sao has now played 46 games in 7 years of FG. He has been here for 4 years (including one pre-SK) for 25 games. There is more at play than SK hates him.

That means the current leadership is responsible for:

Backs - Keighran, Pompey, Nikorima, Green, Hiku, Herbert, Milne
Forwards - Blair, Paasi, Frei, Curran, Burr, Lawton, Ah Mau, Pulu, Harris
Coach - SK (3 more years).
And of course some extensions

A lot of bargain hunting in that lot. It is pretty clear that our salary cap has been mismanaged.

Off The Bench

Off The Bench

New coach, CEOx2, owners, new positions for experienced director of football, elite trainer, elite recruiter and Fusitu'a as the longest serving NZ Warrior (closely followed by Lisone, Maumalo, Ayshford). As close to a rebuild as you can get surely?

That's why it hurts so much this time. How have we ended up worse?
Because we haven't addressed our issues .
A new player won't help .
In a country where we have diversity .We try an use a one size fits all
Policy .
It's not genetic but the way we are raised .
You can see our team drop their heads .When the going gets rough
We have a culture of chopping anyone with leadership ability off
At the knees .(tall poppy )
We have a inbuilt aversion to speaking up . because of this
It's basically communication we are missing.
It's compounded by the lower socio economic pool that NZ
League swims in . Until we look at other successful teams we
Won't get answers.

Reactions: bruce and eudebrito
roadrunner

roadrunner

A complete rebuild for meaning of a warriors fan which was a supporter is someone who has an intense,occasionally overwhelming liking and enthusiasm for a sporting club.Well my dictionary is sure out of date.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Two key meetings in the next two days will have a pivotal role in the outcome of ongoing Warriors ownership saga.
On Wednesday night the Auckland Rugby League (ARL) has a board meeting scheduled, with the situation around the NRL club at the top of the agenda.
The ARL are the sole beneficiaries of the Carlaw Heritage Trust (Chanel Harris-Tavita), which took a 67 per cent stake in the Warriors last April, with Autex Industries as majority shareholder (33 per cent).
As revealed in the Herald on Sunday, that joint venture has essentially collapsed. There are key differences of opinion across the table, which are seen as irreconcilable.
The ARL board will also be discussing the latest developments with the Chanel Harris-Tavita, who will be invited to their Beasley Ave headquarters.
The outcomes from Wednesday night will frame the ARL's position ahead of what could be a fractious meeting with all 32 Auckland clubs on Thursday night.
While the Chanel Harris-Tavita board will have the final say, they will need to follow the mandate from the clubs, and there is unlikely to be an appetite to continue with the venture of the trust owning the Warriors.
That will leave Autex in a position to become sole owners, but the sticking point will be the value of the shareholding, as the Autex buyout offer is significantly different to the amount that Chanel Harris-Tavita for their majority share last April.
On Tuesday morning Warriors chairman Rob Croot and CEO Cameron George convened a special meeting to update the staff and players about the situation.
"It's not without its challenges but we have fantastic staff and players," said George. "It's business as usual and where they land and when they land will remain amongst [the board]. I just hope for the sake of us and our fans that they get sorted out sooner rather than later."
George maintained that no operational matters, including recruitment, will be put on hold while the shareholder discussions continue.
"We can't sit on our hands, we've got a footy club to run," affirmed George.

George has also kept NRL CEO Todd Greenberg informed of the events as they have unfolded, as well as other key stakeholders and was positive that the impact on the playing group over the last few months had been minimal.
"We have a responsible and professional group of players and staff," said George. "They have a job to do and they do it. When they are making those tackles I'm sure they are not thinking of the ownership stuff…it doesn't impact on them too much."
"We have done our best to keep it away from staff and players, and the board have done a pretty good job [in that regard] as well."
Halfback Blake Green echoed those sentiments.
"We got updated on the issue," said Green. "It's out of our control and it will all take care of itself. The sooner it happens the better [as] no one likes those messy situations out in the public
"[But] It doesn't have an impact with how we go. We don't have any interaction with what goes on up top, we train and see the coaches and the players."
"You have probably seen, we have some bigger problems to worry about rather than ownership, we just need to worry about putting in a good performance this weekend."

Reactions: Beastmode
bruce

bruce

Contributor
While the Chanel Harris-Tavita board will have the final say, they will need to follow the mandate from the clubs, and there is unlikely to be an appetite to continue with the venture of the trust owning the Warriors.
I cannot understand this.

If the Chanel Harris-Tavita control the board they surely control the budget, unless something has seriously gone wrong. It looks like more capital input is needed, and the Chanel Harris-Tavita have said enough is enough. Autex seem to disagree, strongly but have less to lose because they spent less on the purchase.

I wonder what the cost blowout has been caused by.

MXRecord

If the Chanel Harris-Tavita control the board they surely control the budget, unless something has seriously gone wrong. It looks like more capital input is needed, and the Chanel Harris-Tavita have said enough is enough. Autex seem to disagree, strongly but have less to lose because they spent less on the purchase.

Apparently Autex have equal voting rights,

JaggedJ

Definitely not performance bonuses.

Five&Last

Five&Last

There is absolutely no doubt that the answer is yes. And anyone who disagrees is fucking stupid.

The only issue is we are stuck in mediocrity by being locked into long term deals with shit players.

My opinion is that we just pay out Blair, Beale etc, and cut them from our roster this offseason. Operate way under the salary cap and play our young guns. We are gonna lose a shit ton of games but we’ll be better for it in two or three years.

The only reason I can see against this is putting Roger Tuivasa-Sheck through that kind of season where we will almost be a lock for the spoon.

COB95

i think the warriors have always had a development problem players and coaches, i know a couple coaches that would do kearneys job well.
This years the first time we have had a SG Ball Team and a U16s Team, it has to start there

Who ever is in charge of Scouting needs to be looked at, Are they doing there absolute best to find new NZ talent Nationwide.
They Should be Scouting all U14s semis and final games in each region, same with the U16s Clubs and Ofcourse the 17/18s sides.
Attend all finals games and hand pick the best on display.

also with the Canterbury Cup side fill that squad with your second best talent from NZ.

We need to stop buying Australians and other players when we have the goods back here.
I also think that the coaching staff are not tough enough with their players, you can see the complacent players out there thinking they can play
weather they play good or shit.

I think Kearney Jones and Cayless is a good coaching group, im not sure why Peyton is in there but Stacey Jones is definitely next in line in my opinion for the coaching job if
kearney cant handle the pressure. I think Reuben Wiki would be a good assistant caoch addition over Peyton, or Cayless over Peyton. The Likes of Taawera Nikau would be
beneficial to the club.

another issue is the foward pack, I think Leivaha Pulu, Jackson Frei and Preston Riki should get promoted to first grade next year In for Ahmau,Paasi, and Afoa.
i would like the Warriors to Sign Young Jordan Riki from Norths Devils Q Cup back to NZ, a young second rower coming up NZ Born and Raised aswell, he will be cheap too
for now untill he gets signed. Blair and Papalii need to look at themselves, or will be forced off the books. we really missed Tohu Harris out there this year.

Warriors could target James-Fisher Harris,Corey Harawira Naera, and Joseph
Tapine i think would change the foward pack dramatically. If they dont use who they already have in the Reserves.

We need a solid centre, unless Taane Milne and Cole Waaka would get a crack at first grade from the Canterbury Cup side also maybe some mean young centres coming up in our grades.

Warrors could target Dean Whare or Joseph manu. Hiku may have to spend some time elsewhere, keep Herbert in the team.

We have good wingers in Fusitua and Ken, but if ones injured we need a good player, i honestly thought young Hayze Perham would of got more games, he could
slot in to wing or fullback when Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is out, Fusitua or Ken. Hayze is good to go should be close for him. Id rather Perham then Pompey.

and stop buying random coaches, we need grassroots nz coaches, or Ex players Warriors and Kiwis.

Alex Corvo and Reuben wiki are good trainers its not fitness, its attitude and the competitiveness to win
Maybe kearney was better off staying in Kiwis Camp.

Last edited:
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

Paying off the coach?

Reactions: bruce
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Paying off the coach?
Who knows? ...they haven't paid him off yet though and if they had they won't have enough cap to appoint a new coach.

Somebody can correct me, but it appears that McGregor quit as chair early on, before SK was resigned. The disaster that was cannot be attributed to the ARL or Chanel Harris-Tavita unless those guys were asleep at the meetings. George was CEO and Croot was in the chair.

To be honest this is getting smellier by the day.

Jwoodzy02

Jwoodzy02

i think the warriors have always had a development problem players and coaches, i know a couple coaches that would do kearneys job well.
This years the first time we have had a SG Ball Team and a U16s Team, it has to start there

Who ever is in charge of Scouting needs to be looked at, Are they doing there absolute best to find new NZ talent Nationwide.
They Should be Scouting all U14s semis and final games in each region, same with the U16s Clubs and Ofcourse the 17/18s sides.
Attend all finals games and hand pick the best on display.

also with the Canterbury Cup side fill that squad with your second best talent from NZ.

We need to stop buying Australians and other players when we have the goods back here.
I also think that the coaching staff are not tough enough with their players, you can see the complacent players out there thinking they can play
weather they play good or shit.

I think Kearney Jones and Cayless is a good coaching group, im not sure why Peyton is in there but Stacey Jones is definitely next in line in my opinion for the coaching job if
kearney cant handle the pressure. I think Reuben Wiki would be a good assistant caoch addition over Peyton, or Cayless over Peyton. The Likes of Taawera Nikau would be
beneficial to the club.

another issue is the foward pack, I think Leivaha Pulu, Jackson Frei and Preston Riki should get promoted to first grade next year In for Ahmau,Paasi, and Afoa.
i would like the Warriors to Sign Young Jordan Riki from Norths Devils Q Cup back to NZ, a young second rower coming up NZ Born and Raised aswell, he will be cheap too
for now untill he gets signed. Blair and Papalii need to look at themselves, or will be forced off the books. we really missed Tohu Harris out there this year.

Warriors could target James-Fisher Harris,Corey Harawira Naera, and Joseph
Tapine i think would change the foward pack dramatically. If they dont use who they already have in the Reserves.

We need a solid centre, unless Taane Milne and Cole Waaka would get a crack at first grade from the Canterbury Cup side also maybe some mean young centres coming up in our grades.

Warrors could target Dean Whare or Joseph manu. Hiku may have to spend some time elsewhere, keep Herbert in the team.

We have good wingers in Fusitua and Ken, but if ones injured we need a good player, i honestly thought young Hayze Perham would of got more games, he could
slot in to wing or fullback when Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is out, Fusitua or Ken. Hayze is good to go should be close for him. Id rather Perham then Pompey.

and stop buying random coaches, we need grassroots nz coaches, or Ex players Warriors and Kiwis.

Alex Corvo and Reuben wiki are good trainers its not fitness, its attitude and the competitiveness to win
Maybe kearney was better off staying in Kiwis Camp.
Are you ok?

Orifice

Orifice

We've never had a rebuild - only ever exchanging pieces of an otherwise defunct playing group that is not consistent enough nor talented enough to compete for a top 8 spot, let alone challenge for a Premiership.

Recent examples are the Knights and Eels who systematically burned their rosters to the ground in an attempt for some short term pain and long term gain. Both sides (while not premiership favourites yet) now find themselves with competitive teams capable of challenging any on their day. The Eels are more than capable of a scalp or two in these finals on their day.

The Warriors have very publicly lost out on ALL OF THEIR TARGETS and with no significant signings on the horizon, the status quo will remain for the next 2 season at least, a wooden spoon is beckoning.

Management need to own this fact, annihilate the roster (cutting loose the likes of Adam Blair, Issac Luke, Blake Green, Lachlan Burr, Same Lisone).

Clear the decks and promote the youth. We will struggle but Fuck me we do anyway! Invest in youth and build a warchest to improve the roster slowly but surely.

11 years since our last Final at Mt Smart.
1 Finals Game in the past 8 years.

Admit that this roster cannot compete and build one that might just be able to in 3 years. I would continue my membership under that direction, at least there would be purpose.
We actually already are promoting youth,
Chanel Harris-Tavita, Pompey, Herbert, keighran, Curren, Papalii, Perham, and the way we are going it should be no time before we see Paul Turner, Jackson Frei. I think for now we need to forget about players like Fafita because it's just a fantasy. Stick with trying to bring some kiwis home because the young ones need some players to look up to like Sheck, Harris, Hargreaves, Tokiaho, Bromwich brothers perhaps? And the odd journeymen from aus because let's face it we aren't going to get a prime aussie kid. I cant see kids coming through going I want to play with sam lisone or papalii? So we still need some experience just not of the luke blair kind?

WA supporter

WA supporter

Contributor
I’m not too sure if this is the right place to post but....I like any number of posters here love their Rugby League way more than I should at times😡. But I’m ready to put my money where my mouth is. For those of you that have seen my previous posts know that I live in Western Australia. But I get to games where and when I can. Anyhow,I’m willing to go on record here and now to say that if and when the dust settles over the ownership of this basket case team that we all love to the detriment of our better judgement. That if Autex does indeed buy out Chanel Harris-Tavita and do run a new broom thru the entire place which includes sacking the head coach(whom I said I that wouldn’t berate any further). Sack players like Blair,Papalii,Beale etc. I will buy a season ticket every year from the 2020 season until I die. Just to show the owners that I support the big picture and that I am here for the long haul. Sure the next 5 years may not be pretty but hey,I think that we’re going to be in a dog fight with the Titans imo for the next two seasons at least! As I’ve stated here before the closest we’ve ever come to being wooden spooners was ‘97 where we finished equal bottom only saved by our F/A. Lets be honest regardless of whomever we recruit for next season(nobody of note,I’m guessing!),we’re going to be a bottom 4 team!! As I’ve told my kids since day one,I don’t care if you come last as long as you try your best that’s all any of us ask. Right?! North Sydney was a classic example of this point. They never won a premiership but they bloody well tried year in year out. Again I’ve said here before I’ve love to walk away but I can’t bring myself to doing that as it stands. But if Chanel Harris-Tavita does defeat Autex. Well then let’s say you won’t hear much from me on this site again. Because like any number of other posters have said look at what happened the last time the ARL had their hands on this team. Again I can only speak for myself but I would like to see the other expat key board warriors (no pun intended) to pony up some cash because money talks and 🐂💩 walks. Thank you all. Rant well and truly over for now but hopefully not forever.🤞🏽✊🏽 P.S. it looks as tho this we’ll be my last posting after all. Just read a stuff article where Kearney says he’s backing the Autex bid. If Autex are in his corner in the words of the undertaker from Dads Army who’s name evades me “ we’re all doomed”. You’ll have to imagine that with a Scots accent for you younger ones!

Last edited: