General IT IS TIME FOR A COMPLETE REBUILD

AusWarriorsFan

Why would local players not want to play u20 Warriors?

Why do you think the locals would reject the team, you are forgetting where those 600k+ kiwis are located hence my suggested locality

Yep good point about travel coming back to NZ.

Transitioning to a new country would mean new business ventures, thats obvious. But that happens often.

They would still be a NZ team, just because they dont have to travel as much doesnt mean "The New Zealand Warriors" located in Brisbane isnt a NZ team. NZ/Qld team located in Melbourne, is still a Melbourne team. Its name says so

Whether you would drop them or not would be your choice. but if they were more successful. plenty more members here and abroad would get on board. Plenty of people are dumping the Warriors as a club now because they are, well they suck. There is no getting around performance = numbers. Sure some are "loyal to the bitter end" but I think that kind of fan does nothing to increase the expectation on the franchise. You cannot expect not performing for 26 years to continue for another 26 years and have any fans left.

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Why would local players not want to play u20 Warriors?

Why do you think the locals would reject the team, you are forgetting where those 600k+ kiwis are located hence my suggested locality

Yep good point about travel coming back to NZ.

Transitioning to a new country would mean new business ventures, thats obvious. But that happens often.

They would still be a NZ team, just because they dont have to travel as much doesnt mean "The New Zealand Warriors" located in Brisbane isnt a NZ team. NZ/Qld team located in Melbourne, is still a Melbourne team. Its name says so

Whether you would drop them or not would be your choice. but if they were more successful. plenty more members here and abroad would get on board. Plenty of people are dumping the Warriors as a club now because they are, well they suck. There is no getting around performance = numbers. Sure some are "loyal to the bitter end" but I think that kind of fan does nothing to increase the expectation on the franchise. You cannot expect not performing for 26 years to continue for another 26 years and have any fans left.

Only 192k NZers in Qld(not necessarily Brisbane/GC either), not sure this is a big enough base for a team to be supported.

Not sure putting the team in Brisbane would necessarily make them successful- didn’t work for the crushers/seagulls/giants/gladiators/chargers and didn’t work for the mariners when they tried to relocate there either.
Sponsors are very careful who they back and local would be preferable, wed always be second at best to the Broncs, same would go for players too there’d still be the same stink attached to us.
Queensland is also a bit of a graveyard for professional sports teams too, 2 NRL teams there have died, 2 x A-League teams there have died, 2x NBL teams there have died, an AFL team there has died and that’s locals not supporting their teams- why would they support one that doesn’t represent them?

Makasene

Makasene

We've never had a rebuild - only ever exchanging pieces of an otherwise defunct playing group that is not consistent enough nor talented enough to compete for a top 8 spot, let alone challenge for a Premiership.

Recent examples are the Knights and Eels who systematically burned their rosters to the ground in an attempt for some short term pain and long term gain. Both sides (while not premiership favourites yet) now find themselves with competitive teams capable of challenging any on their day. The Eels are more than capable of a scalp or two in these finals on their day.

The Warriors have very publicly lost out on ALL OF THEIR TARGETS and with no significant signings on the horizon, the status quo will remain for the next 2 season at least, a wooden spoon is beckoning.

Management need to own this fact, annihilate the roster (cutting loose the likes of Adam Blair, Issac Luke, Blake Green, Lachlan Burr, Same Lisone).

Clear the decks and promote the youth. We will struggle but Fuck me we do anyway! Invest in youth and build a warchest to improve the roster slowly but surely.

11 years since our last Final at Mt Smart.
1 Finals Game in the past 8 years.

Admit that this roster cannot compete and build one that might just be able to in 3 years. I would continue my membership under that direction, at least there would be purpose.

Johnnyray

Johnnyray

We've never had a rebuild - only ever exchanging pieces of an otherwise defunct playing group that is not consistent enough nor talented enough to compete for a top 8 spot, let alone challenge for a Premiership.

Recent examples are the Knights and Eels who systematically burned their rosters to the ground in an attempt for some short term pain and long term gain. Both sides (while not premiership favourites yet) now find themselves with competitive teams capable of challenging any on their day. The Eels are more than capable of a scalp or two in these finals on their day.

The Warriors have very publicly lost out on ALL OF THEIR TARGETS and with no significant signings on the horizon, the status quo will remain for the next 2 season at least, a wooden spoon is beckoning.

Management need to own this fact, annihilate the roster (cutting loose the likes of Adam Blair, Issac Luke, Blake Green, Lachlan Burr, Same Lisone).

Clear the decks and promote the youth. We will struggle but Fuck me we do anyway! Invest in youth and build a warchest to improve the roster slowly but surely.

Admit that this roster cannot compete and build one that might just be able to in 3 years. I would continue my membership under that direction, at least there would be purpose.

Absolutely. I agree. As you said what our new owners Autex need to do is burn this whole place down so us fans can take turns to piss on ashes and then we need to rebuild. Go NZ Warriors ...

:bag:

dantheman

All good in theory except for the fact that our recruiting will always struggle because of our location. It's as simple as that. This is why we should be focussing on keeping young players who are from NZ instead of a lot of them slipping through the cracks and going to Australia. This is where we have been going wrong for so many years. It finally seems like they are working on that so I am pretty sure we will see the benefits in a few years time. Sprinkle homegrown talent with some solid aussie signings and we will be fine. I just don't think the 'traditional' Aussie NRL rebuild would ever work properly here.

Tim burgess

Tim burgess

I think alot of people can accept some pain if it's better for the longevity of the club. Currently, the club is making up the numbers.

I suspect you can spend under the salary cap and have the same results as this season. Unfortunately, I don't class Blair, Green as players who should be earning $700k Per season.

Is it worth putting a call out to Gus Could to cast his eye over the organization from top to bottom.

Last edited:
wizards rage

wizards rage

Melbourne Storm: Sixteen of the 28 personnel they have used this year have been aged under 25, with only three to have played more than 150 games in their squad.

Anyone can say they are a development club but the Storm do it while also being the top team. They can do it because they have a proven system that the whole organisation is working cohesively towards.

The key is to have an organisational wide overview that ties together recruitment, talent identification, game style and coaching which all building together to a common strategy. Coaches, players, etc should be just pieces in a system that is bigger than any one part.

I believe Brian Smith, as general manager of football, will have in place this long term strategy of the style we want to play, the type of players and the skill set of our players to then play that style. We shouldn’t mix short term failure and say to start again with the longer term structures that is slowly being developing behind the scenes.

Brian Smith’s work will long term decide the clubs success more than Kearney or any of our current players.

Blain

Blain

With the structures the club has put in place over the past several years, we need to head down this road to ensure we improve. Splashing cash on un ideal signings will lead us to a massive fail. We'll never be a desirable club for players to move to, so a junior system is our life line.

It's pretty clear Kearney is not the coach to take this team forward through a junior selection policy, he has shown time and time again he is a pick and stick guy, keep doing what your doing etc and things will work out. He plays guys out of position every week, thinks a forward can play every forward role, can't utilise a bench to work efficiently etc. He's brought in guys like Beale and Blair who were signed for off the park value, not for their on the park ability. And that's just nuts, especially at the reported $700k and $300k contracts.

For the sake of stability, I think Kearney needs to have a make the 8 or your gone incentive next season. This is his team, with Green and Blair on their last legs. Make the 8, or we'll get in a good development coach. Let's be honest, no one on the market is looking desirable to replace him.

We've already heard Autex are more cut throat than ARL, which sounds OK ATM, but it's pretty easy to get reckless with that approach.

ozmaverick

Eels won the spoon last year, and majority of their squad is off contract this year. Maybe the Raiders are a better example?

Newcastle I can agree with 100%

Makasene

Makasene

Eels won the spoon last year, and majority of their squad is off contract this year. Maybe the Raiders are a better example?

Newcastle I can agree with 100%

They did indeed but they finished 4th the year before, will be top 6 this year and were top 8 three years ago before being deducted points for salary cap breaches.

They gutted their roster in 2014 and have managed to find some sort of consistency since then.

The Raiders too are a good example.

Kestrel84

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
I agree, and think at least with POS and Brian Smith there is some future (hopefully) with the youngsters coming through.

25 years of mostly shit and struggle, with the trajectory not looking any different at the moment. Let Autex take control, sack Kearney and get some Aussie coach to come in fresh, tell the players their reputation and pay packet no longer mean a guaranteed first grade spot and start blooding some youth.

I can get behind that. At least there will be some meaning in the losses.

Off The Bench

Off The Bench

How much is a Captain like Cam Smith worth?
An a forward leader like Bromwich ?

eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
They did indeed but they finished 4th the year before, will be top 6 this year and were top 8 three years ago before being deducted points for salary cap breaches.

They gutted their roster in 2014 and have managed to find some sort of consistency since then.

The Raiders too are a good example.
The raiders swapped out like 4 players and kept their coach, Kearney will be pointing to them and saying to his bosses "see, we can do that next year, just need some good buys"

Unfortunate we can only buy kiwis or reserve graders tho

Reactions: Woofa and bruce
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Did somebody mention Phil Gould?:rolleyes: WTF are Penrith these days? How many coaches, how many players, how much progress? Nah this is a complete rebuild. I hate to say it but it might pay to sack the whole bloody lot and start again. That is what hard bastards do when they want to cure cancer.

Reactions: Tim burgess
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

This thread is redundant. We have had plenty of rebuilds. That's why a lot of fans get upset and disappointed.

Reactions: Hadyn