Player Issac Luke

Fearmuss

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 4, 2016
Hi

Could someone who has Daily Telegraph access do the forum a soild? Google says there is an update on Nathaniel's roaches health in the latest casualty ward report.

Could you check out the article and let us know if there is anything newsworthy???

(it is behind a paywall)
For the future, paste the link into outline.com and read for free. Or copy the article address and put outline.com/ at the start.

https://outline.com/https://www.dai...s/news-story/d7dd23ad320440dbe9681439cd0dc112

Last edited:

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
Feb 22, 2016
A good article from David Long about Bully and Parra. In the end his family wanted to stay in NZ.

NRL: Issac Luke opens up on nearly moving from Warriors to Parramatta Eels
David Long12:48, Mar 08 2019

For a while it looked like Issac Luke's last Warriors game would be the Elimination Final loss to Penrith.

For a while it looked like Issac Luke's last Warriors game would be the Elimination Final loss to Penrith.
In the end, Issac Luke has got what he wanted, a contract that recognised his talent.
The Warriors hooker, who had been doing his best to recover from a shoulder operation in time for next weekend's game against the Bulldogs, recently came close to packing up and joining the Eels.
An out clause in his contract allowed him to move to any club that offered him a deal better than the lowly one he was on at the Warriors for 2019.
When the Eels came knocking with a two-year deal worth in total four times more than what he was on at the Warriors, it looked as if Nathaniel Roache would be wearing the No 9 jersey at Mt Smart Stadium this season.

However, the Warriors quickly negotiated an improved one-year deal for Luke with his manager Bruce Sharrock, with the club tapping into the money saved from no longer having Shaun Johnson on their books.

Speaking for the first time about the saga, Luke said he just tried to keep his head down and let his manager and the club sort it out between them.
"I left it up to him," Luke said of Sharrock.

"He gave me his word about it and he's been pretty strong for me.
"I just had to keep training and give out an example and they've given me that extension."
The Warriors last year offered Luke a reported $160,000 to play for them in 2019, following the collapse of his move to the Knights because of his shoulder problem.
It came at a time when the club were struggling to stay under the salary cap and it was the best they could offer. There were question marks about his shoulder operation, but it wasn't really market value for what Luke is worth. Even so, he decided to accept it.
"We tried to explore options," Luke said.
"But it was more of a family decision to stay, my kids and wife love it here, so that why we signed and I'm happy now that I did.
"We had the get out clause and the Warriors knew about that, but I've been able to tick a lot of boxes and make this happen.
"I was fortunate that Shaun moved to Cronulla, because that gave us a bit of breathing room."
https://www.stuff.co.nz/authors/david-long
Sharrock told Stuff earlier this week that Luke would have been prepared to move to another NRL club for a better offer, but it would have been tough to uproot his family at short notice.
Luke's new Warriors contract though is just for a year, so the 31-year-old will have to go to the market again during the season for a new deal, but he says that won't put any pressure on him.
"It's a contract like last year, so I'm fighting for another one. Hopefully I have a good season," he said.
"I managed to return to some good form last year, so the challenge is to have that same kind of form going into next year and seeing whether I'm picked up somewhere else or stay here."
Luke was already one of the leaders at the Warriors, but with the departures of Johnson and Simon Mannering it could be argued that there will be more of an added need for Luke to take on that responsibility.
However, Luke doesn't see it that way.
"I don't think my role will change too much from last year," he said.
"Having to replace Simon [Mannering] means there are huge boots to fill for the player coming into his spot.
"We were able to take a lot from the experience he was able to pass down to us.
"But we've still got a lot of experience with Adam Blair Tohu [Harris] and Roger has come a long way.
"So I think we're in a really good place, we've just got to make sure we get the best out of our team."

Stuff

jsmooove

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Anyone see him getting into it on Twitter last night with Buzz Rothfield great to see that he felt a certain way about Buzz saying there gonna be Wooden spooners this year.
it cracks me up that buzz threatens to block people. Like players care if he blocks them i mean he has had players from the team he worships rip him apart on a podcast

FuNQie

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 30, 2018
“It's a contract like last year, so I'm fighting for another one. Hopefully I have a good season,"
Luke said, as quoted in the interview article 8 March.

He’s not shown that he is - fighting for another year.

He’s looked a bit like a zombie on the pitch this year. The injuries have made him very nervous of getting stuck in, and I can’t see that changing in a hurry, the opposite’s more likely. And his match fitness...

He’s getting picked mainly out of some forlorn hope that his past performances, mainly from many years ago, but also 2018, will be repeated.

In retrospect, the Eels were lucky he didn’t take the bait they reputedly offered. That play worked a treat with us, tho, even tho he was recovering from shoulder surgery all off season. Losing Luke after SJ would have been a PR disaster.

Our ‘managing him physically’ throughout the season as the latest NZH puff for management about Luke suggests is our policy is IMO idiotic. It’s the NRL he’s playing in, not touch footie!

Gotta give him another chance v the Bunnies, I guess. But... :dead:

Reactions: Off The Bench

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Our ‘managing him physically’ throughout the season as the latest NZH puff for management about Luke suggests is our policy is IMO idiotic. It’s the NRL he’s playing in, not touch footie!
Think what they mean is he's not 100% and needs injections just to take the field every game so, yeah, you'd want to manage that pretty well wouldn't you???

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Think what they mean is he's not 100% and needs injections just to take the field every game so, yeah, you'd want to manage that pretty well wouldn't you???
He shouldn’t be playing if he’s not 100%

It’s that simple.

If he’s taking injections just to get in the field then the coaching are fucking idiots and not looking out for the players.

Another black mark against that stuttering head coach we just signed for 3 more years.....

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Luke really needs to stay on the park for the final 1/4. We needed his experience last weekend vs Souths. He needs to control play from DH and kick from there, taking pressure from CHT ( Green not there and Hiku very much a fill in). I’m hoping his fitness is up to it.

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
He shouldn’t be playing if he’s not 100%

It’s that simple.

If he’s taking injections just to get in the field then the coaching are fucking idiots and not looking out for the players.

Another black mark against that stuttering head coach we just signed for 3 more years.....
A lot of that is the players decision I think.
Or the very least the medical team.
The sack Kearney rhetoric is so boring.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
A lot of that is the players decision I think.
Or the very least the medical team.
The sack Kearney rhetoric is so boring.
you really think an ageing and injured Isaac luke loves this team so much that he wants to takes injections just to get on the field? especially after the way we have performed in the last month?

Is this the Isaac Luke thread or is it Simon Mannering?. Need to double check.

Reactions: FuNQie

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Think you might struggle to find 13 players that are 100% at any point in the season..
To the point they need injections, over 30 years of age, and had surgery in the off season?

Unlikely.

It’s a weak minded excuse which is why it’s not up to the players. It’s the coaching staff. That’s why they have fitness tests and make decisions based off it.

Reactions: FuNQie and Akkerz

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I thought it was widely known that many players play with pain killers?
Michael luck pretty much gave up playing in his last season because he was over it apparently.
What? Like panadol?

I heard it goes well with red bull.

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
Hey Bully,

Please stop getting tackled with the ball on the second to last tackle of the set.

It leaves the decision making of the dummy half on the crucial last play to somebody who is inferior to yourself.

Cheers.

Reactions: wizards rage

Upcoming Match

Manly Sea Eagles

Last Game

31 Jul

26 - 20
6.7 Total Avg Rating
6.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings