Player Issac Luke (3 Viewers)

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
https://outline.com/Bmwvxc

For those of us that don't have subscriptions, outline.com is a lifesaver.

LUKE’S SACRIFICE

Veteran hooker Issac Luke has agreed to a one-year contract extension at the New Zealand Warriors on about a third of the money he received in 2016 when he quit the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Inruin

.... LOADING ....
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
I'm in two minds with this one.

On the one hand, it's great in the terms of we have signed a potentially top 5 hooker for a third of what he was on.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what Luke is going to give us after being told "we want you to do what you did this season but we are only going to give you a third of what we gave you this season to do it" - that coupled with the shoulder surgery

I guess the club are rolling the dice...

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016

On the one hand, it's great in the terms of we have signed a potentially top 5 hooker for a third of what he was on.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what Luke is going to give us after being told "we want you to do what you did this season but we are only going to give you a third of what we gave you this season to do it" - that coupled with the shoulder surgery

This is his last chance to win an NRL competition. Not actually playing in the 2014 Grand Final must irk him a tiny bit.

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand

It's a loaded roll if anything.

- Luke will be out to earn a pension contract either with us or elsewhere. He literally can't afford to half ass it. The shoulder may let him down, but I don't think effort will. He's got too much riding on this.

- Luke's shoulder injury. Obviously a bit of a risk, but ultimately, if he misses the first few rounds, are we really any worse off than what we would be if he'd left? Nope.

- Salary Cap. Not only have we only signed him for a year, but it's on peanuts for somebody coming off the season he's had. It's not like we've had to release SJ to keep him. Lino was probably going anyway.

Ultimately, even if this goes totally to shit, we lose very little considering we'd sort of been resigned to not re-signing Luke. Worst case scenario, he comes off the bench for Roache or plays his way back into the NRL side from ISP.

I see very little downside in him sticking around, apart from potentially disrupting things off field. But you'd think the club would have pulled all offers if that was a massive concern.

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 14, 2012
A third of of the money he received on a three year deal, for a one year deal would mean it's the same amount per year though no? Unless it's a third of the annual amount, in which case the NRL salary cap auditors might come knocking for paying a player unders - depending on what the Knights were offering.

wrighty

I dream of the blackcaps winning the world cup
Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
It's a loaded roll if anything.

- Luke will be out to earn a pension contract either with us or elsewhere. He literally can't afford to half ass it. The shoulder may let him down, but I don't think effort will. He's got too much riding on this.

- Luke's shoulder injury. Obviously a bit of a risk, but ultimately, if he misses the first few rounds, are we really any worse off than what we would be if he'd left? Nope.

- Salary Cap. Not only have we only signed him for a year, but it's on peanuts for somebody coming off the season he's had. It's not like we've had to release SJ to keep him. Lino was probably going anyway.

Ultimately, even if this goes totally to shit, we lose very little considering we'd sort of been resigned to not re-signing Luke. Worst case scenario, he comes off the bench for Roache or plays his way back into the NRL side from ISP.

I see very little downside in him sticking around, apart from potentially disrupting things off field. But you'd think the club would have pulled all offers if that was a massive concern.

I have taken up the challenge of thinking of an absolutely worst case scenario

Here it is

Luke can’t do preseason because of the injury

Luke then takes until round 12 to recover with the warriors playing about .500 football before that

It turns out he is cooked but we lose 3-4 games straight while we figure that out and keep giving him second chances

And then we dump him but with Nathaniel only playing averagely we can’t recover from the losing streak and miss the eight.

Luke gets $200k for his troubles

TLDR version
It goes pear shaped if he is out for half the season or more.

Reactions: DANZ

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
A third of of the money he received on a three year deal, for a one year deal would mean it's the same amount per year though no? Unless it's a third of the annual amount, in which case the NRL salary cap auditors might come knocking for paying a player unders - depending on what the Knights were offering.
But its not unders when there are no other offers on the table. Old, attitude and broken has to depreciate his value.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Yep, pleased to have Luke for another season but even more pleased that the Warriors have adopted the "You say you're worth A, but we say you're worth B and here's why. Now, you're either going to have to an amazing negotiator to get A or you're going to have to accept B. We might go to B+ if you're really impressive, but don't count on it. And if someone else offers A off the bat? Sign on the dotted line for them, son!"

I think the club may have bought in too much to the "We have to pay overs for decent players to sign for us." approach and just accepted that as gospel instead of asking "But why?" Of course, making the finals - okay, only once but it's the start - is going to make us just that little more attractive as a destination and so there's less need to offer overs.

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
I have taken up the challenge of thinking of an absolutely worst case scenario

Here it is

Luke can’t do preseason because of the injury

Luke then takes until round 12 to recover with the warriors playing about .500 football before that

It turns out he is cooked but we lose 3-4 games straight while we figure that out and keep giving him second chances

And then we dump him but with Nathaniel only playing averagely we can’t recover from the losing streak and miss the eight.

Luke gets $200k for his troubles

TLDR version
It goes pear shaped if he is out for half the season or more.
I'm impressed with how catastrophic that is and I'm a negative fuck by the very wiring of my being hahaha.

I think we'll miss a few games early, but that is a good thing imo. Gives us a chance to see if Roache is up to it. If he's not, then we have a ton of time to head into the market for somebody to come over in 2020.

I would hope that since it's a shoulder injury, Bully will be able to keep himself relatively in shape with Cardio, then it's just a matter of regaining strength. But also, yeah. You could be totally right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Upcoming Match

Manly Sea Eagles Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

20 Sep

14 - 26
5.9 Total Avg Rating
5.9 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 11 ratings