Player Issac Luke

Luke loves his country bleeds black and white more than any league player has since wiki will captain the warriors one day welcome home son Taranaki Hard Core.
Yeah he is a real Kiwi, coming home.

Worked out well for us, hope some more hearty kiwis follow his example.

The cool thing about this story was when he admitted to Monty Betham on radio live that he always wanted to be a Warrior... That got our hopes up....then he signed an extension with South's and it all looked lost....Jim Doyle comes along and sorts it all.
If we kick on next season, anything possible with others following in his footsteps.

Reactions: Jah and mode81
More than likely but realisticly who do think is a chance of being the next to come home? Moa or perhaps McKendry.
Yep those two would be a chance, Maybe if we get lucky someone like Whare could be squeezed in. Probably wishful thinking on that last name..

bruce

Contributor
It would be nice to fit the Kiwi team under the salary cap...but we can't...even a premiership winning side has trouble keeping its team.

Reactions: Sup42
It would be nice to fit the Kiwi team under the salary cap...but we can't...even a premiership winning side has trouble keeping its team.
For sure.

The Roosters couldn't keep Roger Tuivasa-Sheck for example and the Bunnies have lost Sam B and their Hookers.

There seems to be....looking at those two examples of teams that use the cap to stack sides....a way to at least outwardly convince the world that u are paying stars unders......thereafter the team is so good they attract promising talent like Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Hopefully you win a premiership along the way before u start losing the stars or emerging stars.

Whatever that magical formulae is....Jim Doyle will know it (he oversaw third party policy etc).

If we make top four, some of our players up for renewal of contract, would b offered unders to stick around and see it through to a premiership, some will take a pay cut, some will leave, more importantly incoming players will understand that the Warriors don't need to pay overs as a first point of attraction to signing on.

Well at least that's how I hope we can head.....and I hope we can get more from our development system by virtue of having a winning culture in the top side.

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Contributor
For sure.

The Roosters couldn't keep Roger Tuivasa-Sheck for example and the Bunnies have lost Sam B and their Hookers.

There seems to be....looking at those two examples of teams that use the cap to stack sides....a way to at least outwardly convince the world that u are paying stars unders......thereafter the team is so good they attract promising talent like Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Hopefully you win a premiership along the way before u start losing the stars or emerging stars.

Whatever that magical formulae is....Jim Doyle will know it (he oversaw third party policy etc).

If we make top four, some of our players up for renewal of contract, would b offered unders to stick around and see it through to a premiership, some will take a pay cut, some will leave, more importantly incoming players will understand that the Warriors don't need to pay overs as a first point of attraction to signing on.

Well at least that's how I hope we can head.....and I hope we can get more from our development system by virtue of having a winning culture in the top side.
That is usually the way, top players like to play for top clubs however the problem comes when the top clubs lower paid players get worth more than the club can afford e.g. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
but Jimmy seems to have it right a spine player is worth more than a prop

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
League: Luke sets lofty targets at Warriors
10:32 AM Sunday Nov 8, 2015
44e183b69297a1c85f7ed7fb7debff913762e75f_620x311.jpg

Issac Luke, along with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, is one of the most anticipated arrivals at the Warriors in the club's history. Photo / Photosport

Issac Luke wants to change the Warriors - and at the same time help take rugby league to another level in New Zealand.

He is probably the world's unlikeliest missionary, but that's almost how it feels when you listen to him talk about his hopes for next season and beyond.

Luke and fellow Kiwi Roger Tuivasa-Sheck are the most anticipated twin signings made by the Warriors since Steve Price and Ruben Wiki a decade ago. Many feel the duo will be the panacea, the men to ignite a club that hasn't been much above mediocre for four seasons.

That kind of expectation can be dangerous, as two players can do only so much, but Luke is embracing what he describes as a unique opportunity.

Firstly, there is the chance to awake a sleeping giant. The Warriors, aside from the Daniel Anderson era and some of Ivan's Cleary's reign, have never really delivered on their potential.

"Obviously [Roger and I] have to do what we can to make sure the Warriors get over the line," Luke says. "At the moment, I am just worried about the Kiwis and what we can do here [in England] ... but for all that raw talent to go down the drain ... far out."

Aside from their on-field talent, Luke and Tuivasa-Sheck are expected to drive change off it.

Luke made it to the NRL the hard way, leaving his family in Hawera to pursue his dream at the Bulldogs, then the Rabbitohs. He's got a fierce drive to make it - always has had - that isn't always apparent among some of the local players at the Warriors.

"To want to play NRL, you have to be hungry - really, really hungry," he says. "If you are not, you won't make it. Or you might make it at first but you won't survive. I always had that. In Hawera, there are not many people who can walk out of there and call themselves NRL players but I wanted to be someone. I thought if I make it, the whole town makes it."

As well as reviving the Warriors, Luke wants to revitalise the code and inspire others into the sport.

"There are still kids back home that have so much talent but they just blew it away," Luke says. "A lot of guys have the same raw talent and just need to be shown the right direction; to be able to turn a lot of their heads and show them that there is a way where you can be the man on the field and be the man off the field as well. A lot of that is going to fall on me and Roger when we come back to New Zealand, to be able to take rugby league to another level."

Luke also hopes he can inspire kids to "get off the streets" and change their own lives through sport, not just league.

"Jonah Lomu, back in his day, managed to turn a lot of the Polynesian heads into the right space, and look where they are now," Luke says. "If me and Roger can have that same influence when we come home - there are better things than what you are doing on the street. Go to a park, kick a ball around. It doesn't have to be league - it could be basketball, soccer, anything - as long as they aspire to something and work hard."

He says there were two options growing up in Hawera: the gangs or meat works. But his father, George, a representative rugby league player, encouraged Luke and his two brothers to play sport as a means to break the cycle.

"There were a lot of temptations there," Luke says. "I had friends who started drinking when they were very young. I used to see guys falling out of the pub and I thought, 'I don't ever want to be like that. I want to be someone'.

"My dad always used to sit us down to watch NRL games, especially Broncos game, and he would turn around and say to us, 'I hope I can watch you on TV one day'. I managed to get there."

It was a long journey. After playing Bartercard Cup as a 15-year-old in Taranaki, he spent two years in Wellington (he attended the same school as Simon Mannering and played for the Orcas) before getting a scholarship to the Bulldogs. But he struggled at Belmore and was ready to return home before a fateful conversation with his partner (now wife).

"I said, 'I'm going back, the Bulldogs don't want me'," he explains. "Then she told me we were having a baby. That changed everything. I thought, 'well, I'll have to find him some money'. I went to Souths, barely on anything, to be honest, but my motivation went way up. I had to make it for him."

His partner, then living in Brisbane, brought their seven-week-old son Adaquix down to Sydney to visit him on Luke's 20th birthday. A week later, he made his debut for Souths. He's since amassed 188 NRL appearances, 34 tests, a World Cup and two Four Nations titles.

Only one thing remains - an appearance in a grand final and bringing a certain trophy to New Zealand.

Issac Luke

• Made his NRL debut in round 12 of the 2007 season, a 26-10 loss to the Storm.
• Played his first match for the Kiwis less than a year later, in the 2008 Anzac test.
• Has played more tests (34) than any other Kiwi in the current squad, and only two players (Adam Blair and Shaun Kenny-Dowall) pre-date his appearance in the national side.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11541946

Issac Luke is such a clear and astute thinker of the game when he's on field it's the total opposite of how he sounds during interviews off it he's as hori as they come.

Glad to see a player of his calibre coming home with the best intentions, this is a monumental signing for the club as we all know.

Expectations should be high and expected with his and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck's signings, pressure seems to be something he thrives on and as he's matured he doesn't get baited or easily flustered.

Luke has rapport with most of our big guns Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Vatuvei, Johnson, Matulino, Leuluai, Mannering having played alongside all of them during the Kiwis biggest wins against ozzy these guys already know the high standards Luke demands and commands.

It's this sleeping giant I'm hoping he'll awaken, the untapped potential that needs to be harnessed and fulfilled.. the ingredients are all there it always has been now it's time to deliver success.

Been saying it for the last few seasons but... The one thing this squad has been lacking, more than anything, was a 1st class (dare we even dream - world class) hooker. We've got Isaac bloody Luke. There's only one player better than that we could have hoped to have gotten, and realistically he is too old now. We signed the best possible player. It's really mind blowing.

Had we had Isaac the last two seasons, I think we would have made the 8 both years. And on that note, no excuses now Cappy - I'm a big fan, but you well and truly have all the tools in the shed now, better build something good with them.

He's got his head screwed on right. It's such a pleasure reading what he has to say. :D

After watching him command the Kiwis around the park, it's going to be awesome round 1 seeing him in the Warriors Jersey..:cigar:

And how good is out Kiwi's spine going to be after a full season together next year. It's just mind boggling.:wacky:

We've got some real deal bench mark players now, so if the coaching staff don't seriously raise the bar on the rest of the squad......:mad:

It's not going to be plain sailing no matter who we sign it never has and never is when it comes to our team but it's the little things Luke will add is what I'm excited about he's also coming with plenty of firepower by the name of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to go alongside the troops already here like Johnson and Matulino this is like an All Stars assembly of league players.

Been a fan of Issac's for years as most Kiwi fans are and I still have a wry smile just knowing he's coming to our club, it's like a 'wow' and 'finally' a real deal signing type moment. Obvious he's come for the right reasons and purposes to help take this 'sleeping giant' New Zealand club to a Premiership and he's coming in the prime of his career, this is our best window of opportunity ever.

He'll command his position. Just weekly exhibiting those effort on effort plays ..preparation and recovery, off field mannerisms, dynamism around the ruck, energy, sting in the tackle, attitude, experience, the works. Things like weekly advice for his fellow front rowers will be priceless especially the young guys Vete, Gubb, Lisone, Roache, this is a major coup to pull off.

A leader by actions respected by his peers and feared in the NRL he's a definite ace in the deck best of all he's a hard case Maori boy who these guys like being around and playing alongside and having a bit of fun so the bonds of brotherhood have been forged long before he gets here.

This signing means so much for the future of the club let alone next season.. This is a line in the sand recruit, this team is now a real deal threat for the NRL Premiership this is not something to shy away from or distance yourself from this is an exciting challenge this team should embrace.

This tours been great for him too. He's had to take on more responsibility and has thrived on it.
Leadership has always been a problem at the Warriors so it's gonna be awesome to have the two kiwi captains both in the side.
It's like having the champion and the interim champion fighting out of the same camp.

The article on Luke is a good read. It is good to hear a recruit wanting to come over here and make a difference; usually we hear about the talent already here. Results over the last few years shows new talent is needed. Hopefully he does make a difference and having him and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck around motivates the others and we some changes.

Reactions: OMG