General Is this the best newspaper article this year?

wrighty

Nice

Nice try but you can string a sentence together :p

Who was that former NZ player and commentator in his fifties that was always on about 4 years ago and they sacked him because people complained they had no idea what he was saying?

If a reporter goes to hard questioning the Warriors they cut off access which makes it pretty hard to write a story.
Its a bit of a game the reporters play.

I heard Bully took a disliking to a writer and ignored him for a year...

Reactions: Beastmode and bruce

pbrown01123

Contributor
It’s a great article. Subtle throughout, but no less hard-hitting than it would be if it had been written in the same tone that a lot do on here.

The paragraph which tells me most about what it’s author, Jackson Thomas, really thinks is the first:
“Stephen Kearney has forgotten more rugby league than the majority of us will ever know.”
time he bloody well remembered it then!

wrighty

Dean Lonergan?
Nah so happens he was a Maori chap.

Dead set the phone to sky tv was ringing off the hook about him after every 40/20 show or whatever it was called. Just meaningless sentences that no matter how hard you tried to pay attention you couldn't understand.

Dead set the phone to sky tv was ringing off the hook about him after every 40/20 show or whatever it was called. Just meaningless sentences that no matter how hard you tried to pay attention you couldn't understand.
Te Arahi Maipi
Dale Husband
Ken Laban ( think he is samoan not Maori though)

If a reporter goes to hard questioning the Warriors they cut off access which makes it pretty hard to write a story.
Its a bit of a game the reporters play.

I heard Bully took a disliking to a writer and ignored him for a year...
Who gives a fuck if the Warriors cut them off - the media should critique based on what they observe not what the Warriors tell them. They need to write independently, objectively and with insight. It shouldn't be that hard however most of them fall well short.

Beastmode

Just another day in paradise
Contributor
Yeah Him, I am trying to google some commentary just to show how messed up he was. He used the English language to speak but it wasn't coherent. It was like he was babbling.

Him and Stephen McIvor

Like listening to Dumb and Dumber.

Then they added Bluey to the commentary team. Now how stupid a move is that. The guy couldn’t cut it as coach and yet we have to listen to him comment on the incumbent coach and team like he’s so wise and smart?

He was afailure as the coach so why should we have to listen to his opinions??

There’s just no comment sense with some of these decisions.

The article was a nice change from what we usually get in the NZ media. This was like something we'd see occasionally from our union media where it isn't just reviewing an old game or news. A bit different and offering an opinion on the performances on the field and their opinion on whats wrong.

A lot of it is what we have discussed on here.

Another good article I saw the last few days on my news feed was about Adam Keighran and how slim his chances are of being called up after being dropped after only 3 games. It had some examples of Kearney dropping players who then fall out of favour and are barely seen again. Some of the examples were Cook, Pulu and Sao.

Talking of writers that go hard and aren't seen anymore what happened with David Skipwith?

He used to write some good content and it was good with the Herald having two league writers.

He was the main guy for the Johnson story. Knew the time line of events and had facts where most others were recycling other rumours.

Peter Ropati - didn't think he was too bad? But I remember they tried Tea at some point on the side line which wasn't too good, he would start a statement and not know how to end it and just stop.

It’s a great article. Subtle throughout, but no less hard-hitting than it would be if it had been written in the same tone that a lot do on here.

The paragraph which tells me most about what it’s author, Jackson Thomas, really thinks is the first:
“Stephen Kearney has forgotten more rugby league than the majority of us will ever know.”

That's true- I just wish he would stop forgetting and start remembering.
Maybe he has Alzheimer's?

Ftr I was never a fan of the Kearney signing.
I think he's a strong leader and good man manager but lacking in the technical side, which is why imo he's more suited to coaching in the rep arena.
I also feel like he's fallen into the same trap cappy did where it's one rule for the established players and another for the rookies- that's a slippery slope.
Unfortunately- as much as I write him off I think we have no choice but to honor his contract- sacking another coach seems out of the question.
We've painted ourselves into a corner.

Him and Stephen McIvor

Then they added Bluey to the commentary team. Now how stupid a move is that. The guy couldn’t cut it as coach and yet we have to listen to him comment on the incumbent coach and team like he’s so wise and smart?

Bluey didn't go bad as the Kiwi coach and i think he won a bit in England the common failure the Warriors

bruce

Contributor
Him and Stephen McIvor

They are all cheap. Sky is broke.

Peter Ropati always sounded like he had bitten his tongue, I always found him a hard listen. He hasn't been around for years now.