General Is Simon Mannering the man to lead us??

Should Simon Mannering remain captain?

• Total voters

95tilinfinity

Warriors Bench Player
May 19, 2012
Christchurch
I know this might upset some of the loyal faithful but I'm trying to find answers for this club on why we are underperforming so I pose the question:

Is Simon Mannering the man that should be captain of the warriors?? For me hes just too quiet and laidback in nature.
I think the club needs a Paul Gallen or Gordon Tallis type who can inspire their team mates.
Our team has been really unenthusiastic during the first two rounds and clearly needs a player to stand up and say follow me.

Thoughts??

Magic Stick

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
I know this might upset some of the loyal faithful but I'm trying to find answers for this club on why we are underperforming so I pose the question:

Is Simon Mannering the man that should be captain of the warriors?? For me hes just too quiet and laidback in nature.
I think the club needs a Paul Gallen or Gordon Tallis type who can inspire their team mates.
Our team has been really unenthusiastic during the first two rounds and clearly needs a player to stand up and say follow me.

Thoughts??
Laurie Daley for captain?

Reactions: xlanted and Harlz

Freddie Futler

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 10, 2013
Tauranga
I have the utmost respect for Captain Mannnering and he gives us his all week in week out, tackles like a demon and generally good all round bloke, but as a Captain he does not cut the mustard.
Everyone looks for the leader to inspire them and lead them into battle with words of encouragement or a good ole rark up.
Manners stands there like a silent movies actor and does not say a word, that is why ME did not name him straight away.
Get a new Captain who will demand that they follow the game plan and we will start winning.

95tilinfinity

Warriors Bench Player
May 19, 2012
Christchurch
I watched the miked up on Sterlo the other night with Paul Gallen. The way he was talking and always revving his team up I thought was outstanding. He really lead his team well with plenty of passion. Would love to watch one of Simon miked up to see what he says to the team. I imagine it wouldn't be out of place in a library it would be that quiet!!!

Fenderboy

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
On a serious note...I think Mannering is an excellent player but not captain material. but who else is there? Maybe Leuluai or Rapira

This teams lack leaders...one thing u notice when watching warriors live is we are the quiestest team in the NRL

likewise regarding him as a player but I cannot see anyone capable of taking his place in the team at present

Harlz

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 15, 2013
Hamilton
I believe it shud be either TL or ST as both are proven winners. While were on this note i think he shudnt be leader of the kiwis and it shud be given on to the war machine Jeremy smith lol jmo

Reactions: Sup42

95tilinfinity

Warriors Bench Player
May 19, 2012
Christchurch
I agree Harlz. He should def not be kiwi captain.
I think TL would be a better fit than Tomkins because I think he has to establish himself in the NRL first.
How good would it be if we could get Jeremy Smith to lead the warriors. Not gonna happen obviously but would an ideal candidate

mode81

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2012
You think of alternatives and there isn't any that come to mind but no harm in looking for solutions because I believe the captaincy is an issue which gets swept under the carpet around here

Leuluai - That death steer, has to be the meanest look of disgust I've ever seen when he's angers, not that he has previous captaincy gigs that I know of but he's intense and would be an ideal captain, keeping him fit is another issue.

Mateo - Lazy and inconsistent, not worth the money he's paid, bordering Vulcans material.
Friend - Have to give him credit for his work rate but he's passed his best
Rapira - One good game with huge work rate and yardage, next four games under 100 metres, doesn't contribute often enough for my liking but he has captaincy experience and respect of team mates

Matulino - Has lost that initimidating reputation of the past, probably ever since they banned the shoulder charge it tooks Mutts impact away, he was a ruthless brutal defender now he's just a bear hugger who tackles with no real impetus so he doesn't seem captain material.

Townsend - Has to establish himself in first grade and convince supporters he's good enough to be one of our halves let alone mentioning him in captaincy debates

No real options from the current squad unless we buy a captain in the Jamie Lyon mould, experience is key for me, youth and exuberance is fantastic but experience and maturity win you league games

Harlz

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 15, 2013
Hamilton
I agree Harlz. He should def not be kiwi captain.
I think TL would be a better fit than Tomkins because I think he has to establish himself in the NRL first.
How good would it be if we could get Jeremy Smith to lead the warriors. Not gonna happen obviously but would an ideal candidate
Jeremy smith is a real warrior

Reactions: Jah

Far Away Fan

No.

I started a thread on this subject last year. I noticed that a bit later in that season he did start actually talking to the team while they stood forlornly between the posts after another try scored against them, but it's still too rare an occasion.

We need someone who's gonna lay down the law.

Leuluai, please.

Reactions: Andrew J and Harlz

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
No real options in this squad other than Simon. Tomkins not a real choice. No experience and just arrived in a new competition with a new group of players. Thomas maybe but pointless till he's been back a while. We don't have a team of talkers.

drake83

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 14, 2013
Palmerston North
Hes been captain since 2010 and since then has lead us to two finals series. In those two finals series he had James Maloney who is one of the best halves in the comp and a fired up forward pack making a GF in 2011. Would you give the captaincy to Tomkins? This team desperately needs Tommy Leuleui's presence old experienced head to help lead.
I beleive we dont need just a captain but a leadership group who dont take piss poor efforts at training and wouldnt tolerate it on the football field. Someone who would want them to go out there and truly not want to let down the team.
I would give Mannering the captaincy for now and move him to lock tell him this is his last chance and tell him he needs to talk if hell be all through the middle talking and organising then reassess.
If we were to get a new captain who do we have that the guys will listen to, Would our guys listen to Sam especially the likes of the senior players?
Cant be jumping the gun seasons only 2 weeks old.

Reactions: rik13 and koolkat

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings