General Is NZ now a Police State ?

Inruin

Contributor
Yes and when you look at chicago in particular some of the gun violence figures there are comparable to small wars.

What makes it a good comparison is that, in Illinois, where chicago is situated, its very hard to legally carry guns and if im not mistaken its illegal to carry the sort of weapons that is synonymous with the rest of America when you think about them, glocks, ars ect.

But gangs, criminals, in chicago have so many illegal weapons and the gun violence is crazy because of it, so it obviously hasnt stopped the violence.

Which brings me to nzs gun laws which have seen a lot of changes, to curb criminals possessing firearms, it obviously doesn't work, and all its doing is making it hard for law abiding citizens to own guns legally.

I see a lot of these sorts of policies coming out of this government, sensible lending act ect that are meant to do one thing but are just making it harder to do another, and im starting to wonder where its going to stop.

Government is trying to phase out combustion driven cars, guns, making it mandatory to have vaccines, using police force to stop peaceful* protesters against then, where does it stop. What are we going to lose next? Are we going to be told we cant eat certain food items, cant go on certain websites?

Makes me worry, unfortunately the opposition in parliament dont look any better 😅
mate, you simply can not compare US gun issues with NZ's.

Law abiding citizens are able to legally own guns in NZ.

If you want what the US have the simple solution is to move there rather than trying to change what has overwhelming support in this society

mate, you simply can not compare US gun issues with NZ's.

Law abiding citizens are able to legally own guns in NZ.

If you want what the US have the simple solution is to move there rather than trying to change what has overwhelming support in this society
Obviously but its interesting to see that they tried the same thing in Chicago and it hasnt had any impact.

It hasnt here either, all i was saying is, its not going to change anything here, even though thats what its aimed at doing.

Edit : i never said i want what they have in terms of guns. Maybe you cant read or maybe im bad at writing.

Edit 2 : i guess you dont own guns and dont know anyone who does, because you jumped to a conclusion. Yes you are able to legally own guns in nz, but the type of guns has changed and its getting harder and harder to be screened.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Inruin

Contributor
Obviously but its interesting to see that they tried the same thing in Chicago and it hasnt had any impact.

It hasnt here either, all i was saying is, its not going to change anything here, even though thats what its aimed at doing.

Edit : i never said i want what they have in terms of guns. Maybe you cant read or maybe im bad at writing.

Edit 2 : i guess you dont own guns and dont know anyone who does, because you jumped to a conclusion. Yes you are able to legally own guns in nz, but the type of guns has changed and its getting harder and harder to be screened.
There are various reasons it hadn't worked in Chicago. Clampng down in one city or state after there has been a free for all previously is going to have very limited impact, certainly in the short term.

You are implying, from what I read of your initial post, that our gun controls are not a good thing. If that isn't what you mean then my apologies. Perhaps it is your writing.

I don't own any guns currently but have previously. My wider family do. Dad, uncle's, grand parents and a couple of cousins. All are responsible firearms owners who have no issues with the rules.

There are various reasons it hadn't worked in Chicago. Clampng down in one city or state after there has been a free for all previously is going to have very limited impact, certainly in the short term.

You are implying, from what I read of your initial post, that our gun controls are not a good thing. If that isn't what you mean then my apologies. Perhaps it is your writing.

I don't own any guns currently but have previously. My wider family do. Dad, uncle's, grand parents and a couple of cousins. All are responsible firearms owners who have no issues with the rules.
No gun laws are good, however much i would love to own a ar 15 to use at a gun range for fun, theres literally no reason what so ever any person outside of active military service should have access to high powered firearms.
But tough gun laws are not going to stop criminals from getting guns, remember criminals dont care about laws amd this has been shown that it doesn't work. You are right that obviously America is in a much different situation to us in terms of trying to control guns.

Im trying to show that, large sweeping changes in laws which come about as knee jerk reactions, have often times actually not helped those the policy intended to and sometimes punished those its meant to help. Look at the the laws around lending now and how its actually made it far harder for people to safely get loans. Thats why i support the people who have chosen to protest the vaccine mandates, even though im fully vaccinated, i applaud them for standing up for what they believe in, as long as its peaceful. Theres literally no long term studies into what the vaccines could do to us or our kids in 10, 20 years. Imo probably safe, but i understand people not liking that side of things.

Oh i just thought you maybe hadnt heard from gun owners about the changes, i live quite rural so i have heard alot of moaning.

Do we wake up one day and realize that we have signed away all our freedoms and we all have to eat a certain way, regulations on what we can drive and own, how much money we can spend on certain items ect i hope not

Inruin

Contributor
No gun laws are good, however much i would love to own a ar 15 to use at a gun range for fun, theres literally no reason what so ever any person outside of active military service should have access to high powered firearms.
But tough gun laws are not going to stop criminals from getting guns, remember criminals dont care about laws amd this has been shown that it doesn't work. You are right that obviously America is in a much different situation to us in terms of trying to control guns.

Im trying to show that, large sweeping changes in laws which come about as knee jerk reactions, have often times actually not helped those the policy intended to and sometimes punished those its meant to help. Look at the the laws around lending now and how its actually made it far harder for people to safely get loans. Thats why i support the people who have chosen to protest the vaccine mandates, even though im fully vaccinated, i applaud them for standing up for what they believe in, as long as its peaceful. Theres literally no long term studies into what the vaccines could do to us or our kids in 10, 20 years. Imo probably safe, but i understand people not liking that side of things.

Oh i just thought you maybe hadnt heard from gun owners about the changes, i live quite rural so i have heard alot of moaning.

Do we wake up one day and realize that we have signed away all our freedoms and we all have to eat a certain way, regulations on what we can drive and own, how much money we can spend on certain items ect i hope not
No law will stop anyone who actually wants to break it.

I would be asking those rural people what is it that they can't do now in regards to firearms. Hunting, pest control, putting down stock etc are all still able to be done.

If you are trying to show knee jerk reaction changes don't work then gun control laws isn't the example to use.

I'm not going to bother with the rest of the post.

Reactions: Louim8
No law will stop anyone who actually wants to break it.
So whats the point of implementing it if all it does is make it harder for law abiding citizens.

And it is a good example to use, we all know why these gun law changes came about but the people that are affected the most are law abiding citizens.

Even if everybody is fine with that, its not the right way to go about it in this case, there should be far tougher penalties to pay for people who break the gun laws, as well as tougher gun laws. Criminals get of way too easy for breaking the law, so they changed the gun laws but gun laws only apply to those who follow them and are responsible citizens.

Trust me ive seen and heard of people still having guns which are now out lawed in nz.

Last edited:

Inruin

Contributor
So whats the point of implementing it if all it does is make it harder for law abiding citizens.
Because that's not all it does.

Check Australia for an example of tighter gun controls after a mass shooting. Check the drop off in gun related deaths over time because of them. Yes, people still got killed from gun related injuries but were significantly reduced. Compare to somewhere like America where it is out of control and gun related deaths and mass shootings have increased significantly, particularly since reducing gun control laws. It really is quite simple the correlation between having long term strict gun control laws and gun deaths. Tougher penalties has absolutely no impact on this.

In fact the danger Australia faces is actually the softening of the laws and not fully implementing the recommendations that were suggested.

Law abiding citizens are still able to own firearms in NZ. There really isn't anything more for me to say about this. It's a no brainer.

Last edited:
I would be asking those rural people what is it that they can't do now in regards to firearms. Hunting, pest control, putting down stock etc are all still able to be done.
Living rurally myself, the biggest moan I hear from others is having to use a bolt. Half these morons couldn't hit anything on full auto so I can understand that using a single shot bolt action might be a bit troublesome

I handed back a couple of semi autos when the rules changed, no big deal and got a few bucks. As an aside, one of the rifles was a M1 Garand the old man had picked up somewhere during the war. The cop registering the guns had no idea what it was and the fact it was semi auto. I suggested they send it to the museum at Waiouru as it certainly was a museum piece. Probably just bent the barrel like the others.

Reactions: Akkerz and Inruin