General Is NZ now a Police State ?

Protestors screaming are always gonna side with their own against the police- what’s he do? Context can be telling if police felt need to restrain him had he been violent earlier
I don’t know probably something like this…

Protestor passive, handcuffed, helpless but obviously lippy and the policeman throws him by the neck and takes to him… got to keep those aggressive protestors in line

Attachments

• IMG_4821.MP4
    1.5 MB
30 second snippets out of context can be difficult to get the full story (from both sides)
Particularly when poster would have an agenda.
It’s pretty easy to put a clip of someone walking down the street and make it look sinister if you wanted to
Just what happens when you get an army of police using riot tactics on a peaceful protest.

Unstoppable force meeting an immovable object and it was only going to end badly.

Attachments

• IMG_4823.MP4
    11.2 MB
This sort of thing started the BLM protests…

He’s a kid. Any MSM report it?
It's a bit offensive for you to compare this to what started the blm protests.
For starters George Floyd was held down for 9 or so mins and we saw the moments leading upto it so had the context. Also that was just the last straw for the protests but I won't get into that and derail this thread.
Like others have said we don't know what happened leading upto this and while I'll give you that he had his knee on his upper back possibly neck or head he moved it very quickly. The guy holding his head down is a non story, seems like he's not applying much pressure and I'm guessing the offender was spitting at the cops

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Just what happens when you get an army of police using riot tactics on a peaceful protest.

Unstoppable force meeting an immovable object and it was only going to end badly.
Still not seeing violence. By experience with Aus version of these same people and numerous accounts of how some in the Wellington version are behaving I don’t believe they are peaceful and innocent.(no protests are completely)
NZ police are puppy dogs compared to what I’ve experienced overseas.

I'm finding it unbelievable how hard you're going to go against the police when I'm 99% sure you were 1 posters defending the police in the blm threads. Apologies if I got the wrong poster but I'm pretty certain you were 1 of them.

Reactions: john nick
This sort of thing started the BLM protests…

He’s a kid. Any MSM report it?
Saw it about 20 times the day it happened, and interviews with the kid, he's 15. Not sure if any of it was MSM but it's getting hard to tell what's alternative media and what's mainstream. Most people following on social media would have seen it.

Seemed a bit excessive at the time but I don't think the cop applied his full weight to his head. Young fella said he was terrified and didn't resist. He's a hero around camp covid now, more like Gandhi than George Floyd.

Last edited:

bruce

Contributor
Peaceful protest my left testicle!!!.

Investigations in Canada have found that at least some of the money to fund the protest came from a Merkin billionaire. Also MAGA Senators Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley were backing the protest.

So I ask again, WTF paid for the peaceful protest here?

It is all part of a worldwide anarchist plot, nicely timed for the Russian invasion of the Ukraine.

Aw come on Bruce...it is just a coincidence.:rolleyes:

Dixpat

In Andy we (have to) trust
Contributor
I don’t know probably something like this…

Protestor passive, handcuffed, helpless but obviously lippy and the policeman throws him by the neck and takes to him… got to keep those aggressive protestors in line
None of the vid you have posted show any context at all.

This one is too remote from the camera to understand why the officer acted as he did - did the “passive protester“ spit on the officer, don’t know, maybe.

Last edited:
None of the vid you have posted show any context at all.

This one is too remote from the camera to understand why the officer acted as he did - did the “passive protester“ spit on the officer, don’t know, maybe.
If we accept you need context when there is clear video evidence, then we must also accept the reports of people being abused by the protesters for wearing masks, etc lack context and balance.

In all likelihood the locals are engaging negatively with the protestors to result in the response that are reported, don’t know, maybe

Logically, you must therefore surmise that the protesters have been relatively peaceful if the reported harassment cannot be taken at face value 🤔

Saw it about 20 times the day it happened, and interviews with the kid, he's 15. Not sure if any of it was MSM but it's getting hard to tell what's alternative media and what's mainstream. Most people following on social media would have seen it.

Seemed a bit excessive at the time but I don't think the cop applied his full weight to his head. Young fella said he was terrified and didn't resist. He's a hero around camp covid now, more like Gandhi than George Floyd.
On a psychological level, I find it fascinating how our view of life is filtered by our preconceived ideas and biases.

If your in either the protester or non protester camp, your mind is made up and you are sure you are right. No science or evidence will sway either side. The other side has lost all objectivity and credibility. The other side is the aggressor. The other side is in the wrong. You believe your sources and dismiss anything that runs counter to your view. The other side is being controlled and manipulated.

It’s fascinating both sides can see the exact same perspective towards the other and be sure they are right 🤣

It would be even more fascinating to transfer this concept to our unwavering support in the Warriors! Some deep level blinkered tribalism going on there.

I'm finding it unbelievable how hard you're going to go against the police when I'm 99% sure you were 1 posters defending the police in the blm threads. Apologies if I got the wrong poster but I'm pretty certain you were 1 of them.
I don’t recall defending the police over BLM

Love/ relationship. We need police but they need to operate within the law and half them are power hungry.

Just like these protesters, some of the scum they deal with are hard work. The BLM guy that was killed was no angel. Would have been alive still if the police didn’t need to be there… But what the cops did was murder.

If we accept you need context when there is clear video evidence, then we must also accept the reports of people being abused by the protesters for wearing masks, etc lack context and balance.

In all likelihood the locals are engaging negatively with the protestors to result in the response that are reported, don’t know, maybe

Logically, you must therefore surmise that the protesters have been relatively peaceful if the reported harassment cannot be taken at face value 🤔
Yes you are right. I dont take anything at face value, unless i know the full story.

Example being, the prime minister sayimg that the protestors have been, harassing people with mask, harassing school kids ect. While i have no doubt this happened, say if one protestor and a member of the public get into it, even though said public member started the argument and escalated it, once reported to the police, its now technically true that protestors have been harassing members of the public and the prime minister can report on this and paint it in a negative light to discredit the protestors.

Although you would never find me in a protest of any kind, i applaud those who are there for standing up for what they believe in, but unfortunately for most there, the media has been interviewing the crazys of the lot, the extreme ones who just want to protest against anything to do with government, and thus paint the protestors as a whole as people who just dont want to conform with the rest of society.

I watch alot of US news and i understand that the news corps are backed and sometimes owned by parties that are sympathetic to left or right wing politics. It made me start looking at our own news here in nz in a different light and it surprised me how pro labour and pro jacinda the media in nz is.

I dont trust much i see on the news or social media wothout context, theres always two sides, it constantly amazes me how many people dont understand this.

Regarding the title of this thread, with:
  1. gang memberships at an all time high
  2. essential worker status for gang members
  3. news on violent crime being (at least) 1+ times per week
  4. Auckland's CBD turning into a crime cesspit, and
  5. protesters camping and defecating on the lawns of parliament, then:
You can conclude that NZ now is not a police state

Most African American deaths by firearms in the USA are from African Americans.

That does not alter the fact that the USA has a racist history they are continually battling with, including the Police.
Yes and when you look at chicago in particular some of the gun violence figures there are comparable to small wars.

What makes it a good comparison is that, in Illinois, where chicago is situated, its very hard to legally carry guns and if im not mistaken its illegal to carry the sort of weapons that is synonymous with the rest of America when you think about them, glocks, ars ect.

But gangs, criminals, in chicago have so many illegal weapons and the gun violence is crazy because of it, so it obviously hasnt stopped the violence.

Which brings me to nzs gun laws which have seen a lot of changes, to curb criminals possessing firearms, it obviously doesn't work, and all its doing is making it hard for law abiding citizens to own guns legally.

I see a lot of these sorts of policies coming out of this government, sensible lending act ect that are meant to do one thing but are just making it harder to do another, and im starting to wonder where its going to stop.

Government is trying to phase out combustion driven cars, guns, making it mandatory to have vaccines, using police force to stop peaceful* protesters against then, where does it stop. What are we going to lose next? Are we going to be told we cant eat certain food items, cant go on certain websites?

Makes me worry, unfortunately the opposition in parliament dont look any better 😅