TeamList [2023, Finals Week 1] - Penrith Vs Warriors

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Afternoon
12:00

Team Lists

Warriorholic does great Stats comparisons of the players and generally.

Stat wise our forward pack is better if you match Fisher Harris with AFB as best forwards we definitely have the superior starting pack.

It's a litte bit rinse and repeat each week tho just needs some variety like warriors anonymous preview,
If you're into stats and head 2 head it's perfect.

Nrl.com have compiled a list of the most under rated player in each team playing in the finals. From the Wahs, it is the one, the only, the GOAT

Rocco Berry (Warriors)​

An important part of what has been a high-performing right edge through the second half of this season, which has included helping to make sure Dallin Watene-Zelezniak gets the right ball at the right time in the lead up to many of his 21 tries.

Berry is invariably also the player leading the kick chase down the right side for the Warriors – something which goes mostly unnoticed but has contributed greatly to Shaun Johnson enjoying success in that area of the game – while his physicality in defence has been effective closer to the line too.

Unlikely to be the man to bust the game open or come up with a game-changing play in attack, but someone who the team relies on to do lots of little things well in order for the wider game plan to be executed.

Just One of the many keys 🔑 as to why we sit in 4th position currently🤙

IMG_3477.jpeg

I don't think our players have the experience to adapt to a changed game plan.

In which case it comes down to two things, our defence (if they cannot score we cannot lose) and individual brilliance with SJ playing eyes up to counter the Panthers up fast and spoiling defence of our second man shifts.

Egan can put a man over under the posts.

But if you are looking for a point of difference then the focus is on TMM, and us having that ability to use width when we know the Panthers will be stacking their left edge defence because of Dallin.

Also a large reason why teams have been bothering us is we went away from the 15 minute injection of Walker and Jazz which kept our game at hyper speed then hit warp speed, which told later in contests.

Penriths cheating line speed and gang tackle you backwards lasts for about 15 minutes each half, the issue is surviving it and or not being exhausted out of the game, I see the early use of the bald bros as a critical counter here, especially since the Panthers have never faced the bald bros, they have never played TMM and SJ in the same game.

We all hope our guys are so mentally ready for this that we see their best, if that happens I think we will hit hard and get out smiling.

I believe we will be up for it, cheifly because on that private plane flight, these boys will know they are going to war with all the best soldiers we have, nothing is more confidence inspiring in a NZ team.
Dont think they necessarily need to change the game plan. if we're allowed to play it our game plan is good enough to worry any team. Still running our same shapes but with a few variations to counter the intent from their outsides to rush up and shut down our shifts.

Also our short interchange passing between forwards with multiple runners and decoys will be absolute key to neutralize any intent to gang tackle.......at our best this year has been when our forwards are using those nice little tip ons to each other.

As u say tho defence as always is key, hopefully that resilience (which has been our hallmark this season) to absorb pressure and keep turning up on D is in full effect against the Panthers,,,,,,,,along with the ability to handle the lift in intensity (which is what finals are about), it'll absolutely need to be.

Dont think they necessarily need to change the game plan. if we're allowed to play it our game plan is good enough to worry any team. Still running our same shapes but with a few variations to counter the intent from their outsides to rush up and shut down our shifts.

Also our short interchange passing between forwards with multiple runners and decoys will be absolute key to neutralize any intent to gang tackle.......at our best this year has been when our forwards are using those nice little tip ons to each other.

As u say tho defence as always is key, hopefully that resilience (which has been our hallmark this season) to absorb pressure and keep turning up on D is in full effect against the Panthers,,,,,,,,along with the ability to handle the lift in intensity (which is what finals are about), it'll absolutely need to be.

Yeah, I really think they use the same game plan that got them to where they are today. Now is not the time to be trying new stuff. You make some tweaks, and minor adjustments but sticking to what you're good at should be the approach.

AFB will be huge for us. Imagine if he took it up a gear.....
I see this quite a bit on here with an implication that somehow AFB plays within himself (and i apologize if this wasnt your intent here)

And i think it stems from the fact he's not a prop that hits the ball up like he's coming off the back fence ala Feka Paleassina.

In fact if u watch him closely he actually slows before contact, usually applying the handbrake is frowned upon but in his case its actually a clever ploy as it has the effect of causing the defensive line to also slow or hold in front of him......and once theyve stopped their forward momentum he's got them....he then applies some late footwork with gives him acceleration into contact, and then his physicality, size, and strength surges him forward carrying defenders......this is how he is the best post contact metre prop running in the game.

Feka was probably my favourite ever prop and i loved seeing him skittle all in front of him, but there's plenty of ways to skin a cat and Addins found the way that suits him.

Last edited:
I see this quite a bit on here with an implication that somehow AFB plays within himself (and i apologize if this wasnt your intent here)

And i think it stems from the fact he's not a prop that hits the ball up like he's coming off the back fence ala Feka Paleassina.

In fact if u watch him closely he actually slows before contact, usually applying the handbrake is frowned upon but in his case its actually a clever ploy as it has the effect of causing the defensive line to also slow or hold in front of him......and once theyve stopped their forward momentum he's got them....he then applies some late footwork with gives him acceleration into contact, and then his physicality, size, and strength surges him forward carrying defenders......this is how he is the best post contact metre prop running in the game.

Feka was probably my favourite ever prop and i loved seeing him skittle all in front of him, but there's plenty of ways to skin a cat and Addins found the way that suits him.
You didn't know the whole team has been playing possum for the past 5 weeks? Webby had them playing within themselves tricking the whole comp into thinking we are done and dusted?

Guess you haven't been reading the forum, it's pretty much set in stone at this point.

I hope its just a rumour or speculation that SJ is not good for Saturday because if he doesnt play then we are absolutely screwed. Volkman will get eaten alive by the Panthers.
Volkmans not even in the extended squad named this weekend…

Doesn’t matter, I’m calling bullshit on this. There would have to be something very serious and being kept incredibly well under wraps for this to happen. Listening to the interview with Shaun from last night, he is pumped

No apologies nessesary, fully understand how my comment could have been taken that way.

I will concede that I am a tin foil hatter in that I suspect (hope) that the boys have been pulling punches over the last five weeks. I dont think they've been playing shit, more that I'm keen on the prospect of ambushing finals teams. I wasn't focusing around that with this comment though

I guess where I was going with it was that he's an absolute power house right now, imagine if he somehow knocked it up a notch.

Back