I have posted this before.

Laotians are Thai people, who speak the same language and dialect as the North Eastern provinces of Thailand. The difference between Laos and Thailand was that the French colonised the Laotian part of Siam in 1893.

After Germany invaded France in 1940 Siam (Thailand) invaded Laos to claim the country back. It is a bit (but not exactly) like having people on either side of the Waikato River forming different countries, even though they speak the same language and share the same history.

To put it in another perspective the Thai people originate from Yunan, Xuangxi and Xangzhou in southern China. Over the centuries they emigrated into the hill country and valleys of North Vietnam, Laos, Siam and Myanmar.

Also the Kingdoms of the Isan (Korat) Plateau which Thailand and Laos share, and through which the Mekong flows down to Vietnam and Cambodia were in the past ruled by the Angkor Wat (Cambodian) empire.

What that basically means is there is no significant difference between Lao and Thai people. Thailand is actually a new name for Siam invented after WWII, which is another story.

Different countries. Same genetic makeup potentially. It's still incorrect to say half-Thai.

I think the Lao people are Tai, not Thai. (Thai are also Tai).

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
Ivan Cleary signs on as head coach of Lebanon for Rugby League World Cup
5:46am

Brodyn Knuckey
1 NEWS NOW Reporter

Ivan Cleary has announced his next big coaching move in the world of rugby league with the former Panthers and Warriors coach heading to Asia to be the head coach of Lebanon.

CLEARY.jpg.hashed.32d77d8b.desktop.story.inline.jpg

Newly-appointed Lebanon Rugby League head coach, Ivan Cleary.

Source: 1 NEWS

Cleary has agreed to coach The Cedars at this year's Rugby League World Cup after stints in the NRL with the Warriors from 2006 to 2011 and three years with the Panthers from 2012.

Lebanon Rugby League Federation said they were delighted to secure someone with nearly 250 games of NRL coaching experience.
"I was privileged to have been involved in the previous Rugby League World Cup with the New Zealand squad," Cleary said.
Ivan Cleary 'just pops in' to help All Blacks ahead of facing Wales

The former Warriors coach asked to come along to see how the All Blacks operate, Ian Foster reveals.
Source: 1 NEWS
"So to now have the opportunity to be the head coach of a developing nation such as Lebanon is something that I’m really excited about."

It is only the second time in Rugby League World Cup history Lebanon have qualified for the tournament, but LRLF CEO Remond Safi says today's appointment sends a "clear message" about their aspirations heading into it.

"Having Ivan appointed as the Lebanon Cedars head coach is definitely a move in the right direction and it’s an appointment that shows that we are genuine about the competing in this year’s World Cup," Safi said.

Source: 1 NEWS https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spo...gns-head-coach-lebanon-rugby-league-world-cup

"Having a successful campaign and reaching the next round will certainly take the game to another level with attracting new interest to the game in Lebanon and lay a pathway for players to play at international level.

"Ivan has a wealth of experience in rugby league, both as a player and coach, and I believe it will be of great benefit to our players as preparations continue for the World Cup later this year."

Cleary says the opportunity to guide a developing nation at a World Cup was an offer he was eager to take up.

"With Lebanon qualifying for the 2017 Rugby League World Cup, I believe we have a huge opportunity to increase participation numbers in Lebanon and that's really important for the growth of the international game."

Lebanon are currently ranked 21 in the world.

Lebanon's Rugby League World Cup Schedule

Lebanon vs France, 29 October 2017, Canberra Stadium
Lebanon vs England, 5 November 2017, Sydney Football Stadium
Lebanon vs Australia, 11 November 2017, Sydney Football Stadium

Reactions: bruce
Great weekend of league!

Rugby League Results 2017
May 6th Samoa 10 vs England 30, Campbelltown Sports Stadium (Pacific Test)
May 6th Lebanon 24 vs Malta 4, New Era Stadium Cabramatta (Phoenician Cup)
May 6th Fiji 24 vs Tonga 26, Campbelltown Sports Stadium (Pacific Test)
May 6th PNG 30 vs Cook Islands 22, Campbelltown Sports Stadium (Pacific Test)
May 5th Australia 30 vs New Zealand 12, GIO Stadium Canberra (ANZAC Test)

Plenty more to come;

Upcoming Rugby League Fixtures 2017
Oct 27th Round 1 Australia vs England Melbourne Rectangular Stad (RLWC R1)
Oct 28th PNG v Wales Port Moresby (venue TBA) (RLWC R1)
Oct 28th New Zealand vs Samoa Mt Smart, Auckland (RLWC R1)
Oct 28th Fiji vs USA Townsville Stadium (RLWC R1)
Oct 29th Scotland vs Tonga Barlow Park, Cairns (RLWC R1)
Oct 29th Ireland vs Italy Barlow Park, Cairns (RLWC R1)
Oct 29th France vs Lebanon Canberra Stadium (RLWC R1)
Nov 3rd Australia vs France Canberra Stadium (RLWC R2)
Nov 4th New Zealand vs Scotland Christchurch Stadium (RLWC R2)
Nov 4th Samoa vs Tonga Waikato Stadium, Hamilton (RLWC R2)
Nov 4th England vs Lebanon Sydney Football Stadium (RLWC R2)
Nov 5th PNG vs Ireland Port Moresby (venue TBA) (RLWC R2)
Nov 5th Italy vs USA Townsville Stadium (RLWC R2)
Nov 5th Fiji vs Wales Townsville Stadium (RLWC R2)
Nov 10th Fiji vs Italy Canberra Stadium (RLWC R3)
Nov 11th Samoa vs Scotland Barlow Park, Cairns (RLWC R3)
Nov 11th New Zealand vs Tonga Waikato Stadium, Hamilton (RLWC R3)
Nov 11th Australia vs Lebanon Sydney Football Stadium (RLWC R3)
Nov 12th PNG vs USA Port Moresby (venue TBA) (RLWC R3)
Nov 12th Wales vs Ireland Perth Rectangular Stadium (RLWC R3)
Nov 12th England vs France Perth Rectangular Stadium (RLWC R3)
Nov 17th Quarter Final Darwin Stadium (Quarter Final)
Nov 18th Quarter Final Christchurch Stadium (Quarter Final)
Nov 18th Quarter Final Wellington Regional Stadium (Quarter Final)
Nov 19th Quarter Final Melbourne Rectangular Stadium (Quarter Final)
Nov 24th Semi Final Brisbane Stadium (Semi Final)
Nov 25th Semi Final Mt Smart, Auckland (Semi Final)
Dec 2nd Winner Semi Final 1 v Winner Semi Final 2 Brisbane Stadium (Final)

https://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/

Reactions: Miket12

bruce

Contributor
I’m going to get you started - what’s Watson got to do with Carlaw park?
He did the deal with the Council to shelve Carlaw in favour of MSS.

MSS was a big white elephant and they saw the Warriors as a way to make money.

Karma is going to come to Watson for what he did to Carlaw Park.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
He did the deal with the Council to shelve Carlaw in favour of MSS.

MSS was a big white elephant and they saw the Warriors as a way to make money.

Karma is going to come to Watson for what he did to Carlaw Park.
Carlaw was well dead by the time Watson came to the Warriors wasn’t it? We’d already been at Ericsson aka MSS for 6 seasons by the time he came along. If it was going to happen the Warriors would have already been there

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Contributor
Carlaw was well dead by the time Watson came to the Warriors wasn’t it? We’d already been at Ericsson aka MSS for 6 seasons by the time he came along. If it was going to happen the Warriors would have already been there
Not correct. The Trust came up with a proposal to take the Warriors back to Carlaw. The club had almost folded. Watson took the bribe.

bruce

Contributor
The NARL kicks off next season hopefully this league thrives in the u.s and rugby league takes over as the more dominant rugby code.
I cannot see it. NFL is the pro code.
Union is a very minor university sport, as it is in most countries except SA and NZ.
I cannot see a place for league.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Not correct. The Trust came up with a proposal to take the Warriors back to Carlaw. The club had almost folded. Watson took the bribe.
Would have needed significant money poured into redevelopment if it was deemed a health and safety hazard by 2002, not sure it would have been a realistic option particularly as it was also passed over the RWC stadium for 2011 due to further complications needing domain land and traffic issues etc

Would have needed significant money poured into redevelopment if it was deemed a health and safety hazard by 2002, not sure it would have been a realistic option particularly as it was also passed over the RWC stadium for 2011 due to further complications needing domain land and traffic issues etc
They are spreading the word slowly with camps and trying to get youth involved.
I know nothing will eclipse NFL for the Americans as a collision sport but this is the first proper national league.
If only the tests against the poms in the states had of actually happened all 3 not just 1 may have got some more eyes on the sport over there.
Lance Hohaia is over there, he is the coach of one of the teams in the new comp.
Could be a viable option for guys in the future over super league

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
I cannot see it. NFL is the pro code.
Union is a very minor university sport, as it is in most countries except SA and NZ.
I cannot see a place for league.
Although Union is the more dominant ‘rugby’, leagues closer in format to nfl so could see it as an easier sell. 7’s becoming an Olympic sport did see more resources put into Union though. Could take a page from ESL book and play it in summer for less competition

Reactions: snake77 and J_P
Although Union is the more dominant ‘rugby’, leagues closer in format to nfl so could see it as an easier sell. 7’s becoming an Olympic sport did see more resources put into Union though. Could take a page from ESL book and play it in summer for less competition
As strange as it sounds the "rugby" part of rugby league probably doesn't help expanding the sport.

The UFC fighter Andre Volkonofski the commentators or MMA media often talk about his weight loss from playing rugby league to a fighting weight appropriate to his frame. When they then talk about it its common for them to just say rugby.

The early 2000's there was a league international between Russia and another minor nation that got a big crowd. I saw it listed as 30k. This was in the old RLW magazine and a few other places as league was going alright in Russia. A few years later I remember a union reporter writing about this big crowd for a rugby match.

When I first met my wife and we would visit her grand mothers she would often say how rugby over here is a mess how they all jump on top of each other or other complaints. My wife made a comment which I followed up with "She's from Leeds right? well union isn't as popular in that part of the UK. She's probably grew up watching rugby league".

I've heard some English people use the term rugby to describe both codes. Even some UK league players.

Reactions: matiunz

playdaball

Heritage Member
They are spreading the word slowly with camps and trying to get youth involved.
I know nothing will eclipse NFL for the Americans as a collision sport but this is the first proper national league.
If only the tests against the poms in the states had of actually happened all 3 not just 1 may have got some more eyes on the sport over there.
Lance Hohaia is over there, he is the coach of one of the teams in the new comp.
Could be a viable option for guys in the future over super league
Lance also coaches RU in the USA. Didn’t the RL team he was due to coach pull out of the comp?

bruce

Contributor
I hear a song coming on:

• Haha
Reactions: Tragic