The problem in USA is the Networks, they only promote what their advertisers want.
I remember being in America when Australia was challenging for the Americas Cup, which was big news in Australia and NZ but I could not find anything in print or on TV about it. (Australia eventually won but not a mention in USA)
Was in San Francisco in 96 when the Super Bowl was on and I have never experienced anything like it. GF day in Sydney is big but Super Bowl is on another planet.
The All Blacks have now got an American Sponsor in AIG and with such a prominent sponsor onboard they will get a little more coverage.

Until League gets a major sponsor onboard the chance of cracking it in USA are Dog Show or no show.

Reactions: bruce
I think that the fundamental difference between the way international Union and League are judged comes down to a couple of factors;

1) there are enough rich people to fill stadiums for one off union test matches in places other than NZ and Wales, where the game isn't particularly popular
2) union uses every trick in the book to try and make people believe that the international game is bigger than it really is - in all honesty, if kids in England, Italy, the USA etc started playing rugby the All Blacks would be history in a generation (this causes the NZRU in particular a dichotomy - they have to pretend that the game is global to keep the appeal of the All Blacks but can't be too enthusiastic in growing it as it would lead to their demise)
3) for some reason you don't hear leagies going on about how the sport is really popular outside of the top five or six countries in a way that unionites crap on about rugby in places like Portugal, Italy and small island nations that are smaller than provincial English towns

There is no denying that Union is more popular, but the really clever thing that they have done is the perception - especially in NZ - that is is a lot more popular than it really is.

bruce

Contributor
Over a million people live in Hull, Wigan and Warrington alone.
You don't have to convince me about the merits of our great game. I had to go through the shit at school being forced to play union instead of league.

The whole story of formation of rugby league is about discrimination against the working classes by the hooray Henry's of Southern England and their stuffy private school mates in Australia and the Nazi collaborators in France.

The truth in NZ is that the Canterbury RFU actually took a vote on whether to change to rugby league, the snobby farmers won the day. Geez it was even a Kiwi that started the game in Australia, just look to the left, say no more.

That doesn't change the fact that although Yorkshiremen in particular might think they are the centre of the English universe, and that the whole MCC should be from Yorkshire County Cricket Club, the rest of the world doesn't think so, so sadly rugby league is a cult game in England.;)

You don't have to convince me about the merits of our great game. I had to go through the shit at school being forced to play union instead of league.

The whole story of formation of rugby league is about discrimination against the working classes by the hooray Henry's of Southern England and their stuffy private school mates in Australia and the Nazi collaborators in France.

The truth in NZ is that the Canterbury RFU actually took a vote on whether to change to rugby league, the snobby farmers won the day. Geez it was even a Kiwi that started the game in Australia, just look to the left, say no more.

That doesn't change the fact that although Yorkshiremen in particular might think they are the centre of the English universe, and that the whole MCC should be from Yorkshire County Cricket Club, the rest of the world doesn't think so, so sadly rugby league is a cult game in England.;)

I agree that rugby league is a regional game in England but some of the towns where league is the no.1 sport have larger populations than some of the countries that regularly compete at rugby union world cups.

Last edited:

bruce

Contributor
I agree that rugby league is a regional game in England but some of the towns where league is the no.1 sport have larger populations than some of the countries that regularly compete at rugby union works cups.
Totally agree. The other thing is when I speak to somebody from the North, especially Yorkshire, they can all talk about league but football is the number one sport isn't it?

Totally agree. The other thing is when I speak to somebody from the North, especially Yorkshire, they can all talk about league but football is the number one sport isn't it?

Football is the number one sport everywhere in the UK which is why places like Wakefield, Warrington etc and even union places like Gloucester and Bath (and some unpronounceable shit holes in Wales) are so unique - no football team!

Last edited:

bruce

Contributor
Football is the number one sport everywhere in the UK which is why places like Wakefield, Warrington etc and even union places like Gloucester and Bath (and some unpronounceable shit holes in Wales) so unique - no football team!
I was just thinking from the east here we go:
St Helens, Warrington, Leigh, Salford, Rochdale, Keighley, Dewsbury, Batley, Wakefield, Castleford, Featherstone...how does that sound?

As American reading this, one thing I've got to say about us, that defines us as nation, is that we love the smell of our own shit. It's who we are as a people, one steaming red, white and blue, pile of bullshit. Dude you only have to turn on any major sporting event from Football to Baseball to Basketball to just see what I mean. We have to be the only country in the world that plays national anthem complete with an army marching band and Marine Corp. flag bearers when two teams from two cities next to each other decide to play, the only country in the world that has a military jet flyover if team they're playing is from out of state. Got to show Mississippi not to fuck with Kansas. That's why in my opinion why games like Rugby, Rugby League will never thrive in America, it's too foreign. And is why if you are serious about seeing games like Rugby League thriving in America, you need to Americanise them first. Such as instead of calling it "Rugby League", call it "American Rugby". Instead of having things like 'six man tackles', change the rules into American Football terms, such as 'continuous six down plays ...' You know, crap like that. I've always said with right amount of precision thinking behind it along with right amount of money and publicity, Rugby League could really challenge the NFL back home as brand new sport, especially if you're smart enough not to compete with NFL directly at first and play it in NFL off season ... :)

bruce

Contributor
As American reading this, one thing I've got to say about us, that defines us as nation, is that we love the smell of our own shit. It's who we are as a people, one steaming red, white and blue, pile of bullshit. Dude you only have to turn on any major sporting event from Football to Baseball to Basketball to just see what I mean. We have to be the only country in the world that plays national anthem complete with an army marching band and Marine Corp. flag bearers when two teams from two cities next to each other decide to play, the only country in the world that has a military jet flyover if team they're playing is from out of state. Got to show Mississippi not to fuck with Kansas. That's why in my opinion why games like Rugby, Rugby League will never thrive in America, it's too foreign. And is why if you are serious about seeing games like Rugby League thriving in America, you need to Americanise them first. Such as instead of calling it "Rugby League", call it "American Rugby". Instead of having things like 'six man tackles', change the rules into American Football terms, such as 'continuous six down plays ...' You know, crap like that. I've always said with right amount of precision thinking behind it along with right amount of money and publicity, Rugby League could really challenge the NFL back home as brand new sport, especially if you're smart enough not to compete with NFL directly at first and play it in NFL off season ... :)
To even think of the NRL competing against the NFL is just dreaming. Somebody posted that it is only because AIG are sponsoring the All Blacks that they are getting any leverage at all.
NFL might collapse under the weight of potential litigation for brain damage anyway, rugby union and league might not be far behind. You read it here first, golf is the future, unless they start litigation about sore knees.

To even think of the NRL competing against the NFL is just dreaming. Somebody posted that it is only because AIG are sponsoring the All Blacks that they are getting any leverage at all.
NFL might collapse under the weight of potential litigation for brain damage anyway, rugby union and league might not be far behind. You read it here first, golf is the future, unless they start litigation about sore knees.

Sadly dude, I think you're right and if game Pokemon Go means anything, the future is "Zelda" ... :(

You heard it here first ... ;)

• Haha

To be fair the Aussies are a bit like that - AFL, SoO etc are purely Aussie events.

It's the kiwi chip-on-the-shoulder mentality that means we have to beat other countries at stuff to show them we are better than them (and then we pretend that the sports we are good at are equally important to the foreigners we've just given a stuffing to - take that, Portugal rugby fans!)

Reactions: Freddie Futler

Surely an sport wanting to get going in the USA just needs a foothold amongst a very large population?

They have a professional soccer league, for instance, but it's not on most American's radar.

I was just thinking from the east here we go:
St Helens, Warrington, Leigh, Salford, Rochdale, Keighley, Dewsbury, Batley, Wakefield, Castleford, Featherstone...how does that sound?

Agreed, although some of those places are really suburbs of bigger cities that have football teams.

Gloucester, Bath, Cornwall and maybe a few other places have Union teams and no football team.