General If you were a new Franchise owner...

JonB_old

And you got to pick one player from the Warriors to base your team around who would it be?

Same question, but the NRL?

Just for a bit of fun, if thats this is what you are into, what would be your general strategy for starting an NRL club?

2big2strong_old

If price had a few more years left in him, he'd get my vote hands down. But seeing as though he doesn't I think Mannering or maybe Tate.

I think If mannering played for a really well coached team like the Storm or Roosters etc. He'd be in the top 5 Second rowers in the league. For a guy that's had minimal juniour League experience he has got unbelievable instincts.

From the NRL it'd probably be a similar approach that the Titans had, and go for a Scott Prince ( who not only is a world class half but also a great leader of men)

Cooper Cronk would be the pivotal player I'd go tooth and nail for. He is so underestemated but I don't know if he has the natural leader instincts just yet, a couple more years and he'll be the most sort after half in the country IMO

Skinny_Ravs82

Cameron Smith (I would pick Bedsey but I think he's a bit past his prime now)

Jesbass_old

Guys, remember that the first part of the question is specifically a Warriors player. ;)

Warriors - Mannering, hands down. He's becoming the complete ball playing back rower. He didn't know quite how to take the compliment when I told him, and it's hard to say a thing like that without sounding like a kiss-ass.

NRL - JT. You need a half who can perform with or without a dominant pack. The way he spent an entire week in bed with the flu, then got up on the morning of his match against us, and engineered a 48-20 destruction was simpy inspiring.

Skinny_Ravs82

Ignored the first part because I couldn't think of anyone in the Warriors lol. but to add to what King said abut Cammy Smith...he's also a bit of an arragont ass. But I suppose that can be a good thing?!

Kid-Dynamite_old

Warriors - Mannering (Agree with everyone)

NRL - I'm going away from the halfback theme here and picking Nathan Friend.....who? you might ask! Nathan Friend is a player who is what a team sport is about!
He is one of the smallest guys in the Titans if not the NRL and yet his defence workload is inspiring. He has the ability to run out of dummy half, and his passing/vision is brilliant.
He never gives up, i.e on Friday Night when he chased the manly winger David Williams, despite knowing he couldn't catch him, but just to increase the difficulty of the conversion to try and keep the score line at a converted try margin!
Thinking about the team!

If i was a franchise owner, he would definitley be one I'd try to grab, he hasn't played rep footy either, so you might get him for a good price! ;)

As for my startergy, I would just look for players who are willing to put there hand up for the team.
Players who might make mistakes, but aren't afraid to make them.

Players like, Preston Campbell, Thurston, SBW, Feleti Mateo!

I'd stack my team with a balance of excitement, and "never give up attititude" :D

waipiro_old

McKinnon

Thurston

If i was really looking to the future though i would punt on Packer....he is the next Steve Price for mine

JonB_old

From the Warriors for me it is a toss up between Mannering and Rapira. Mannering is currently and likely to stay a better player than Rapira, however I think that I would rather have a prop than a second rower, but the key reason I choose Rapira is because I think he has better leadership qualities than Mannering.

SBW, I would tell him we are not good now, but we are going to build around you. You are the Captain, have lots of money.

Two of the most successful teams around are the Broncos and the Crusaders- both are built on a team first value system, thats what I would would try to institute at my team.

2big2strong_old

Just on bulldogs players, I have an inside word (from the horses mouth) that Reni Maitua has successfully sought a release from his contract and will sign with Cowboys, Roosters or Superleague in the next month. Quite off topic but I though what the hell.

kingdamo_old

Just on bulldogs players, I have an inside word (from the horses mouth) that Reni Maitua has successfully sought a release from his contract and will sign with Cowboys, Roosters or Superleague in the next month. Quite off topic but I though what the hell.

Just thought you would throw that out there huh?

Poor Doggies, whats happened with them aye.

Skinny_Ravs82

That loyalty theme of theirs has gone out the window. Probalby not surprised he was going to leave. Bound to happen eventually. I reckon if the Roosters can muster up some more cash from somewhere they might swoop

Kid-Dynamite_old

Just on the Bulldogs, it's not all bad!

They got some exciting prospects going there next year remember, with Josh Morris, Ben Hannant and Michael Ennis! Who I hear will be replacing Corey Hughes who is leaving for the Sharks!

kane_old

From the warriors I would choose Michael luck because he tackles himself to a standstill week in and week out. Out of the NRL I would have a go at Greg Inglis because he is a very talented player. His 2nd try against canberra was the try of the season so far.

Northern_Union

Greg Inglis does things on a footy field i've never seen a player do before, he's a freak.

attila_the_gorilla

It says a lot about the Warriors` woes that the fans think they can build a team around forwards. Price is great, Mannering is fantastic, but as a forward, your impact is much too limited. Even SBW can`t make the Bulldogs win, because they have that idiot Ben Roberts and whoever else is in the halves.

Chris Sandow is the guy that`s made the Bunnies start to look like a football team, and of course he`s a halfback, and a very good one too.

We need an arrogant playmaker who can take ownership of this team, forwards can only do so much. Pity McKinnon isn`t a half, otherwise he`s got every attribute of a rugby league leader. Sure Price is good at dealing with the media, but that is totally irrelevant.

Iafeta_old

Warriors: Steve Price. Even though he's on his career last legs, he's such an inspirational leader. He models the way. People point to him ending his career soon, but he's one of the smarter NRL players who has gone about getting some tuition to further his career off the field. In other words, if you worked it right, he would provide ongoing leadership for the long term. The Warriors would have rocks in their head not to involve Steve within the club after his career finishes.

NRL: Jonathan Thurston. Goal kicker and generally outstanding playmaker.