General i wonder why martin was 18th man+team for next week

garyhobson_old

Thanks for clearing that up JB.

I thought i saw him hobbling after that Bulldogs match.

While were on centre's. Especially if were after pacey,linebreaking, attacking centres. If anyone watched the Junior All Blacks last night, one player who impressed me, and has for a while now, Anthony Tuitivake. Strong,fast, good attacking flair. Would be relatively inexspensive to. He's on a Super 14 contract which would be worth about 100k(just guessing). Let's offer him 120 - 150. Bargain buy i reckon. He's a good footballer. Could make the switch easily imo.

I like that idea, thats thinking outside the square. Thats making full use of what resources and talent pool we have in nz. We have excellent rugby players in nz who cant break into the all blacks/S14 sides, its worth exploreing the opportunity to take some of these boys on and develope their skills as a rugby league player. A good example of this was Tame Tupou, who played rugby union first then switched to league in his early 20s. The talent is out there, warriors management and recruitment just have to be proactive about it.

Skinny_Ravs82

*sobs* I miss out on so much it is not funny anymore. You guys have the upperhand it's not fair! *wants foxtel back now damn it!*

garyhobson_old

what makes you think that witt was signed for that much? he left manly because he wasnt getting a fair crack. i would say 200

200k he still isnt worth that much even! Look he was hot property, promising player when he first signed for Manly, and half a season into his contract with manly. Good halves are in demand in the nrl and he had the extra added skill of being a really really good goal kicker too, so I see why he was on a 280k contract. But as for now, hes not even worth that much, crucial mistake resigning him for another 2 seasons.

garyhobson_old

We payed that much for Witt because that's what was remaining on his contract, and there were no other realistic options. Ropati, I agree, is our best standoff, and he complements the likes of Witt and Rovelli well because of the way his style of play contrasts with theirs.

Byrne, Ah Van and Martin can all play centre, so Cleary may have one of those in mind. Ah Van at centre could allow for a Crockett/Vatuvei wing pairing, meaning all three are on the field at once. Hohaia seems to be there a lot, too, so he may plan for him to be there.

Yeah Bryne and Martin can both play centre..........but can they play centre??? short answer - no. AhVan could develope into a really good centre once he bulks up in the offseason.

Skinny_Ravs82

200k he still isnt worth that much even! Look he was hot property, promising player when he first signed for Manly, and half a season into his contract with manly. Good halves are in demand in the nrl and he had the extra added skill of being a really really good goal kicker too, so I see why he was on a 280k contract. But as for now, hes not even worth that much, crucial mistake resigning him for another 2 seasons.
I think he is proving part of that worth already. Early on he was very patchy and scratchy and I was wondering why they resigned him that fast. However I think since then there's been quite a fair bit of improvement from him esp Saturday's game.
The money side of things I find is a bit of an exaggeration at times, and it might be blowen out a bit more then what was initally made of it.

commonsense_old

even though i highly rate the guy i cant really see any fault in having lance hohaia in premier league. BUT i do strongly disagree in having him in the centres for the lions. it's ridiculous having hohaia playing in the centres when he is a half/hooker.

a lot of ppl have their doubts on hohaia playing in the halves and there is no better way for hohaia to get himself back into the form he was in a few years ago than playing in PL for a few games at halfback. but it would be completely mindless to have him in the centres which according to the report of last sat's lions game stated.

garyhobson_old

marto would clear 200-250, anderson the same, vuna 100, swann 200 and prob lauaki and byrne. thats about 1000000 there, and thats excluding gatis. resignings could be another 400000, meaning we should have a fair bit left over.

Yeah see thats a big waste of money, that takes a sizeable proportion out of the warriors salary cap, I would be keen to invest that money into some promising young player who is just not quite there yet to have a regular spot in the nrl but shows signs of real promise in the future, or pounce of an emerging player who you can pick up for bargin price but in years to come will be far too expensive to recruit or even think about!!!! Perhaps maybe 1 marque player, who will make a real difference in the make up of the warriors team, possibly building a team around him.

garyhobson_old

even though i highly rate the guy i cant really see any fault in having lance hohaia in premier league. BUT i do strongly disagree in having him in the centres for the lions. it's ridiculous having hohaia playing in the centres when he is a half/hooker.

a lot of ppl have their doubts on hohaia playing in the halves and there is no better way for hohaia to get himself back into the form he was in a few years ago than playing in PL for a few games at halfback. but it would be completely mindless to have him in the centres which according to the report of last sat's lions game stated.

Your right, Hohaia is just nothing more than a fill in centre. Hohaia is a halfback or five eight. He should be played there every single week. He is the most creative player in the warriors team, ive said that before in my previous posts, and Tawera Nikau said that in an article today. Its so obvious. He should be playing in the halves where he belongs. Given the opportunity and time Hohaia could be one of the top halfbacks in the league. Top 5 id say. With Ropati out, its a no brainer - Hohaia IN! If we were say to make the 8 this year, in order for us to be successful in the finals Hohaia will have to be there.

garyhobson_old

I see a lot of potential in young Ah Van. Like Vatuvei and Ropati, I think if this team is to identify as a 'development club' for New Zealand junior talent, then Ah Van should be in the team ahead of Michael Crockett. He definitely bombed a key try last night, and probably one against the Tigers too, but the one he put on against Canterbury off the bomb was pretty special. He's safe under the high ball, he carries the ball back hard, and you'll find teams don't tend to slide grubbers too much out his way because he positions himself very nicely for big line break returns. He can be a very special player in my opinion if we keep perservering with him.

Same here I see loads of potential in Ahvan. He could develope into a game breaker. He just needs to bulk up in the offseason, with that his added exprience from this season and last season he could be in for a massive 2008 season. Remember he is only 19 years old, I dont think you'll see the best of him for another few more seasons yet.

Skinny_Ravs82

He'll be playing in the halves in the PL on Friday