General i wonder why martin was 18th man+team for next week

tookeytookey_old

Right...lets do that and buy all the Kiwis boys while we are it, after all that's what we are meant to be aren't we? A breeding ground for the internatiional team only and nothing else. Fabulous! Wonderful!

It'd be hard to become an international without becoming a very good club player first and foremost. So if we turn them into internationals, we win.

garyhobson_old

Right...lets do that and buy all the Kiwis boys while we are it, after all that's what we are meant to be aren't we? A breeding ground for the internatiional team only and nothing else. Fabulous! Wonderful!

No I wouldnt buy all the kiwi boys in the nrl. Theres some kiwi players who i wouldnt buy from the nrl - such as steve matai, just 1 example there.

If the warriors were a breeding ground for an international team we would be going along in right path. That would sort of be our mission statement. If we market ourselves as a team which is going places, playing an exciting brand of football, winning games then we are a breeding ground for interrnaional team/rep honours. Not only for NZ but Qsld, NSW & Australia. If we are going good, players will break into rep sides, when that happens obviously we will be going places such as top 8/top4 semi's etc, players will lineing up to sign with the warriors and playing for us because they think it will help their rep chances benifit their careers.

Jesbass_old

Tony Martin is useless anyway, shouldnt even be in the team, also Crockett aswell. The long term make up of the squad for next season will look like this:

W.McKinnon
M.Crockett
B.Tate
J.Ropati
M.Vatuvei
M.Witt
G.Rovelli
R.Wiki
N.Fien
S.Price
S.Mannering
W.Koopu???? if signed for 2008
M.Luck

L.Hohaia
C.Lawrie
E.Tuimavave
S.Rapira

Ivan sees G.Rovelli and M.Witt as the long term halves combinations signing them for lengthy contracts. Jerome will have to be accomodated in the centres. Jerome's best position is at 5/8. Ivan sees Lance Hohaia as nothing more than a utility player and will play off the bench if all players are fit. Lance should be the halfback in my mind, hes a game breaker, smart, creative, fast, has a good kicking game and is strong.

He wants speed in his backs with Tate and Crockett. Which is why maybe I think they signed Tate over Whaturia. Recommendation from Price might have helped too. I think Whaturia would have been a better buy than Tate, but Tate's still a very good player. Whauria brings exprience, aswell as wanting to come back to his first nrl club where it all started. I think bringing Whaturia back would have been great for all the young players in the team, they will look up to him. He has moved from nz warriors over to aust as a young guy...a virtual nobody, to make the big time, spent time in melbourne storm then won primership titles with the panthers and tigers and representing the kiwis, and is only 25 years old.

What gives you that idea? Ropati is Cleary's first choice standoff. Witt is to add depth to the halves, but not to dominate them.

garyhobson_old

It'd be hard to become an international without becoming a very good club player first and foremost. So if we turn them into internationals, we win.

Yeap you hit the nail on the head there. Thats exactly what ive been trying to say for the last month here.

garyhobson_old

What gives you that idea? Ropati is Cleary's first choice standoff. Witt is to add depth to the halves, but not to dominate them.

Well if thats the case, then thats great!!!! I want to see Jerome Ropati at 5/8. I dont think Witt's up to it. I said that because they signed witt up on a long term contract worth over 280k, and i mean you dont sign a back up for that much do you? And besides brent tate we havent signed up another centre yet, and ivan isnt willing to give any young guys a go, ivan has showed his intentions in moving mannering to the forward from centre to strengthen our weakness there, so i assumed jerome would be the likely choice at centre. In my view hes our best 5/8.

Jesbass_old

Well if thats the case, then thats great!!!! I want to see Jerome Ropati at 5/8. I dont think Witt's up to it. I said that because they signed witt up on a long term contract worth over 280k, and i mean you dont sign a back up for that much do you? And besides brent tate we havent signed up another centre yet, and ivan isnt willing to give any young guys a go, ivan has showed his intentions in moving mannering to the forward from centre to strengthen our weakness there, so i assumed jerome would be the likely choice at centre. In my view hes our best 5/8.

We payed that much for Witt because that's what was remaining on his contract, and there were no other realistic options. Ropati, I agree, is our best standoff, and he complements the likes of Witt and Rovelli well because of the way his style of play contrasts with theirs.

Byrne, Ah Van and Martin can all play centre, so Cleary may have one of those in mind. Ah Van at centre could allow for a Crockett/Vatuvei wing pairing, meaning all three are on the field at once. Hohaia seems to be there a lot, too, so he may plan for him to be there.

blain91_old

what makes you think that witt was signed for that much? he left manly because he wasnt getting a fair crack. i would say 200

Joe 90_old

For mine, even if Martin is available next week i'd rather have Skinny. Played well last night i thought. Reads defence just as well as Marto and even though he's no speedster himself, he's a ferrari whereas TM would be a humber. If i had my way we wouldn't see Marto again. No siree.

A lot of posters mentioning signing new players. Does anyone know just how much movement we've got with the cap next year? I would of thought with Tate's signing we'd be pretty close to the limit. Even if were not we probably wont have the cash to splash out on high quality players people have been mentioning.

Skinny_Ravs82

I will appologize for the comments which were directed at garyhobson's comment. I will maintain it was not againt him but just the comment. The reasons being (go back to the worth while aussie invasion thread), his sentiments were just getting too much to take and I had come to a point where I find it very difficult to keep from really letting my feelings go on the subject. I have seen that whole idea hampering us for a while and been carried for so long it just came to boiling point.

However what I won't baack away from is to say that I still feel there are people out there (not any of you specifically) who seem to have this idealism of what they want this whole organization to be. What their goals should be (according to these fans) and how they should do things. Clearly, the way teh club has gone about certain situations hasn't been the greatest at times; but I don't think we will ever see people completely happy with the decisions anyway.

What I do think is maybe we ought to be thankful we even have a team, because sometiems I think we take the Warriors for granted. We've obviously lacked the bite some teams have and we certainly aren't on the same playing field as a few clubs. What we do have is a team in a compeition which we have in general been excluded from.

It has always boiled down to
'What we want' but has anyone ever really thought about being unselfish for once? Broaden the horizons a bit and try to accept some of the comings and goings. Not nessarily will you like it, but as they say
'You have to take the good with the bad'

Joe 90_old

Martin was injured.

Jerome doesn't make the team because he's still injured.
If Marto was injured Jess why did they name him as 18th man? My understanding is that 18th man has to be ready to play at any stage leading up to the match. Does'nt make sense to me, to name a player as the reserve if he's injured and no chance of playing.

Jesbass_old

If Marto was injured Jess why did they name him as 18th man? My understanding is that 18th man has to be ready to play at any stage leading up to the match. Does'nt make sense to me, to name a player as the reserve if he's injured and no chance of playing.

My understanding is that it wasn't a major injury, so he was prepared to play hurt if needbe. Cleary seems to think it was better for Martin to be rested, and if my first sentence is true, I agree with the decision to not have him play.

garyhobson_old

what makes you think that witt was signed for that much? he left manly because he wasnt getting a fair crack. i would say 200

He was on that much at manly, then we took over his contract. Then we resigned him after like the first 5 games or something this season, and I think its unlikely we would have reduced that figure.

garyhobson_old

For mine, even if Martin is available next week i'd rather have Skinny. Played well last night i thought. Reads defence just as well as Marto and even though he's no speedster himself, he's a ferrari whereas TM would be a humber. If i had my way we wouldn't see Marto again. No siree.

A lot of posters mentioning signing new players. Does anyone know just how much movement we've got with the cap next year? I would of thought with Tate's signing we'd be pretty close to the limit. Even if were not we probably wont have the cash to splash out on high quality players people have been mentioning.

Tony Martin would be a bomb. If I had my way too we wouldnt see Tony Martin ever again.

Joe 90_old

My understanding is that it wasn't a major injury, so he was prepared to play hurt if needbe. Cleary seems to think it was better for Martin to be rested, and if my first sentence is true, I agree with the decision to not have him play.
Thanks for clearing that up JB.

I thought i saw him hobbling after that Bulldogs match.

While were on centre's. Especially if were after pacey,linebreaking, attacking centres. If anyone watched the Junior All Blacks last night, one player who impressed me, and has for a while now, Anthony Tuitivake. Strong,fast, good attacking flair. Would be relatively inexspensive to. He's on a Super 14 contract which would be worth about 100k(just guessing). Let's offer him 120 - 150. Bargain buy i reckon. He's a good footballer. Could make the switch easily imo.

blain91_old

marto would clear 200-250, anderson the same, vuna 100, swann 200 and prob lauaki and byrne. thats about 1000000 there, and thats excluding gatis. resignings could be another 400000, meaning we should have a fair bit left over.

Joe 90_old

marto would clear 200-250, anderson the same, vuna 100, swann 200 and prob lauaki and byrne. thats about 1000000 there, and thats excluding gatis. resignings could be another 400000, meaning we should have a fair bit left over.
You'd have to deduct Tate's 400k from that million though. So thats about 600k only if we dont re-sign any of those players and you'd have to think we'd re-sign at least 1 of them. I doubt if Vuna was on 100k though, and Gatis came over as a real bargain buy. One thing is clear though. No more journeymen.

edguy_old

omg ...are you people serious???ah van has great hands?????lol
thats gotta be a joke ..crockett will be back next week .....butter fingers ah van will be playing for the lions .....as for the bit about him being a kiwi ...lol , thats even funnier ... .....
how bout that pass from witt? a 2 year old would {should have caught that }
thats what the commentators said ...

i cant believe , how you guys all turned on hohaia .....
hes playing out of position .. hes a 5/8 //half back .....not a centre ...

JonB_old

Ah Van does have great hands you are basing your judgment on one example.

Martin didn't play cause he is shit.

Toddy played alot better than Martin would of IMO got stuck into the defence and had some solid hit ups.

Jesbass_old

omg ...are you people serious???ah van has great hands?????lol
thats gotta be a joke ..crockett will be back next week .....butter fingers ah van will be playing for the lions .....as for the bit about him being a kiwi ...lol , thats even funnier ... .....
how bout that pass from witt? a 2 year old would {should have caught that }
thats what the commentators said ...

i cant believe , how you guys all turned on hohaia .....
hes playing out of position .. hes a 5/8 //half back .....not a centre ...

I'd love to see a 2 year old catch a pass like that in 80km/h winds. That'd make the news for sure, assuming the toddler didn't get blown away first...