General i wonder why martin was 18th man+team for next week

danielspencer2_old

it says here martin was 18th man:

https://warriors.sitesuite.ws/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=19641

hohaia was dumped which is great. but i wonder,maybe martin was 18th man cuz he was injured.

i reckon martin will be back at right centre,and CRockett back on the right wing in place of ah van.i can't wait to see crockett back.

jerome and lance won't make it back into the top team because for the last 2 games cleary has been using GAtis as the starting hooker and taking him off after 20 minutes.

Skinny_Ravs82

There is no confirmation as to why he didnt plya, last minute thing which could be injury related but if he is named next week then he would be fine.

Not sure if I'd want him there thou...undecided coz that means probaby gving the GK duties back to him and I know Witty only had two yesterday but I'd rather he took them haha!

Apparently Lance wasn't so bad for the Lions yesterday. Don't knwo for sure coz the team lost.

I think who they pick next week could be interesting

tookeytookey_old

I don't see how this precludes Ropati from making the team this year. In my estimation, Cleary is looking at 1 McKinnon 2 Ah Van 3 Ropati 4 Byrne 5 Vatuvei 6 Witt 7 Rovelli with Mannering into the backrow, Hohaia in the Lions, and Martin from all of this will be a definite goner. Byrne is basically biding time till Tate gets here as he'll take his spot, so he's a goner too.

Ropati if anything should be perfectly safe.

If Ropo is back next week, I'd suggest the team may look like

1 Wade McKinnon
2 Patrick Ah Van
3 Jerome Ropati
4 Todd Byrne
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Michael Witt (goal kicker)
7 Grant Rovelli
8 Ruben Wiki
9 George Gatis
10 Steve Price (c)
11 Simon Mannering
12 Logan Swann
13 Micheal Luck

Bench

Sam Rapira
Evarn Tuimavave
Nathan Fien
Wairangi Koopu

18th man: Louis Anderson

If Wiki is still out, Anderson will come onto the bench and Evarn Tuimavave will start I would think.

Meh_old

1 Wade McKinnon
2 Patrick Ah Van
3 Jerome Ropati
4 Todd Byrne
5 Manu Vatuvei
7 Grant Rovelli
8 Ruben Wiki
9 George Gatis
10 Steve Price (c)
11 Simon Mannering
12 Logan Swann
13 Micheal Luck

Bench

Sam Rapira
Evarn Tuimavave
Nathan Fien
Wairangi Koopu

If Wiki is still out, Anderson will come onto the bench and Evarn Tuimavave will start I would think.

Looks like a good team, except Crockett in for Ah Van.

You've got to think he would have been able to finish that try from Witt had he been there.

Then again, good players can have bad moments, look no further than Manu Vatuvei.

blain91_old

i agree, but crockett to wing for ah van. patty is a great player, but i think crockett gives us a bit more impact.

garyhobson_old

Tony Martin is useless anyway, shouldnt even be in the team, also Crockett aswell. The long term make up of the squad for next season will look like this:

W.McKinnon
M.Crockett
B.Tate
J.Ropati
M.Vatuvei
M.Witt
G.Rovelli
R.Wiki
N.Fien
S.Price
S.Mannering
W.Koopu???? if signed for 2008
M.Luck

L.Hohaia
C.Lawrie
E.Tuimavave
S.Rapira

Ivan sees G.Rovelli and M.Witt as the long term halves combinations signing them for lengthy contracts. Jerome will have to be accomodated in the centres. Jerome's best position is at 5/8. Ivan sees Lance Hohaia as nothing more than a utility player and will play off the bench if all players are fit. Lance should be the halfback in my mind, hes a game breaker, smart, creative, fast, has a good kicking game and is strong.

He wants speed in his backs with Tate and Crockett. Which is why maybe I think they signed Tate over Whaturia. Recommendation from Price might have helped too. I think Whaturia would have been a better buy than Tate, but Tate's still a very good player. Whauria brings exprience, aswell as wanting to come back to his first nrl club where it all started. I think bringing Whaturia back would have been great for all the young players in the team, they will look up to him. He has moved from nz warriors over to aust as a young guy...a virtual nobody, to make the big time, spent time in melbourne storm then won primership titles with the panthers and tigers and representing the kiwis, and is only 25 years old.

Skinny_Ravs82

Tookey's team sounds pretty good. Would be hard to cut Ah Van for mind because I don't think he's been that bad without standing out either.

garyhobson_old

i agree, but crockett to wing for ah van. patty is a great player, but i think crockett gives us a bit more impact.

I would pick Patrick AhVan, he's got a better all round game than Crockett. Patrick has got good aerial skills, strong hitting the ball up, has better defence, and has a lot more to offer in attack. Crockett just has speed over Patrick, nothing else.

I think warriors should be cutting players right now from their squad, mid-year cut. Make some room in the salary cap.

tookeytookey_old

I see a lot of potential in young Ah Van. Like Vatuvei and Ropati, I think if this team is to identify as a 'development club' for New Zealand junior talent, then Ah Van should be in the team ahead of Michael Crockett. He definitely bombed a key try last night, and probably one against the Tigers too, but the one he put on against Canterbury off the bomb was pretty special. He's safe under the high ball, he carries the ball back hard, and you'll find teams don't tend to slide grubbers too much out his way because he positions himself very nicely for big line break returns. He can be a very special player in my opinion if we keep perservering with him.

tookeytookey_old

I would pick Patrick AhVan, he's got a better all round game than Crockett. Patrick has got good aerial skills, strong hitting the ball up, has better defence, and has a lot more to offer in attack. Crockett just has speed over Patrick, nothing else.

I think warriors should be cutting players right now from their squad, mid-year cut. Make some room in the salary cap.

But that doesn't work; if a player is cut from the Warriors with time remaining on his contract, and he goes to another NRL club, his contract is still deducted from the Warriors salary cap. It's only if a player exits to ESL or Union or retirement that his contract is not included in the Warriors salary cap, unless, the player asks for the release himself. For example, Cooper Vuna is not under our salary cap currently, but we all remember what happened to Ali Lauitiiti, if he had have gone say to the Roosters, the Warriors would have been deducted his contract from our salary cap allowance anyway. It's happened a lot recently where for instance at one stage, Todd Payten was under the books of both the Roosters and Raiders while playing at the Tigers because they cut him, or released him from his contract early.

garyhobson_old

I don't see how this precludes Ropati from making the team this year. In my estimation, Cleary is looking at 1 McKinnon 2 Ah Van 3 Ropati 4 Byrne 5 Vatuvei 6 Witt 7 Rovelli with Mannering into the backrow, Hohaia in the Lions, and Martin from all of this will be a definite goner. Byrne is basically biding time till Tate gets here as he'll take his spot, so he's a goner too.

Ropati if anything should be perfectly safe.

If Ropo is back next week, I'd suggest the team may look like

1 Wade McKinnon
2 Patrick Ah Van
3 Jerome Ropati
4 Todd Byrne
5 Manu Vatuvei
7 Grant Rovelli
8 Ruben Wiki
9 George Gatis
10 Steve Price (c)
11 Simon Mannering
12 Logan Swann
13 Micheal Luck

Bench

Sam Rapira
Evarn Tuimavave
Nathan Fien
Wairangi Koopu

Why would you have George Gatis in your team as hooker????? He mucks around at dummy half on the 5th tackle and places pressure on the halves to make a play with little time with opposition defence on them. Also is a very selfish player, ive seen him too many times going for the line on the last tackle from dummy half to be held up or loses the ball. A hallmark of an average player.

Jerome's best position is 5/8, and why would you have Todd Bryne at centre for????

blain91_old

garyhobson, its a bit hard to pick a team when we still have another 3 players to buy. but i agree with the first 10. with ropo there, i hope ivan makes him a centre, but if not, possible players...
george carmont
willie tonga
chris hicks
brad tighe
dan wagon, more second row
mick jennings
paul whatuira

so theres plenty to pick next season, lets see what happens

Skinny_Ravs82

Right...lets do that and buy all the Kiwis boys while we are it, after all that's what we are meant to be aren't we? A breeding ground for the internatiional team only and nothing else. Fabulous! Wonderful!

garyhobson_old

But that doesn't work; if a player is cut from the Warriors with time remaining on his contract, and he goes to another NRL club, his contract is still deducted from the Warriors salary cap. It's only if a player exits to ESL or Union or retirement that his contract is not included in the Warriors salary cap, unless, the player asks for the release himself. For example, Cooper Vuna is not under our salary cap currently, but we all remember what happened to Ali Lauitiiti, if he had have gone say to the Roosters, the Warriors would have been deducted his contract from our salary cap allowance anyway. It's happened a lot recently where for instance at one stage, Todd Payten was under the books of both the Roosters and Raiders while playing at the Tigers because they cut him, or released him from his contract early.

If any team is willing to take over the contract, like mid season transfer it would be good. But cutting them when time remaining is still a good option, gives them time to look for another club and it gives the warriors time to develope someone else. Works both ways win win situation. I can understand where your coming from, pj marsh was cut with a year to go on his contract, i thought that was silly on behalf of the warriors.

Skinny_Ravs82

If any team is willing to take over the contract, like mid season transfer it would be good. But cutting them when time remaining is still a good option, gives them time to look for another club and it gives the warriors time to develope someone else. Works both ways win win situation. I can understand where your coming from, pj marsh was cut with a year to go on his contract, i thought that was silly on behalf of the warriors.
Considering your immense hatred for Aussies I'm surprised you rate him so highly

blain91_old

i agree, ah van has great hands, but he doesn't seem heavy enough or something, because he's great at running the ball back, but he gets man handled everytime, and doesnt bust many tackles. crocketts just a wee bit chunkier. pattys our future kiwi winger i reckon, in 3-4 years.

garyhobson_old

garyhobson, its a bit hard to pick a team when we still have another 3 players to buy. but i agree with the first 10. with ropo there, i hope ivan makes him a centre, but if not, possible players...
george carmont
willie tonga
chris hicks
brad tighe
dan wagon, more second row
mick jennings
paul whatuira

so theres plenty to pick next season, lets see what happens

Sorry I wasnt saying that 17 would be the team id pick, im just predicting what ivan is going to do in 2008. Jeromes a 5/8 in my mind. Im not too sure on Willie Tonga though, I think hes been way below his best since 2004, and he would come with a big price tag. Daniel Wagon would be a good buy, I thought that back 4 years ago, but I think hes a little too old now, but yeah i wouldnt be too upset if they picked him up. Mick Jennigs diffently.... but i dont think he will sign with the warriors, panthers will be keen to retain him on a long term deal. Brad Tighe and Carmont no i dont think they can add anything to the warriors that the dont have already. Paul Whaturia that ship has sailed.

The 3 remaining spots you mention will have to be in the second row forwards. Maybe 2 second row positions, and a 2ndrow/prop like Clifford Manua or 2 2nd row positons/a back.

garyhobson_old

i agree, ah van has great hands, but he doesn't seem heavy enough or something, because he's great at running the ball back, but he gets man handled everytime, and doesnt bust many tackles. crocketts just a wee bit chunkier. pattys our future kiwi winger i reckon, in 3-4 years.

Yeah I agree, well the guys only 19 years old. He will get bigger. If you can imagine what Clinton Toopi looked like when he first entered first grade he really needed to bulk up, and he did!!! Thats something Patrick needs to do in the offseason. Hes diffently a future kiwi winger/centre. I honestly dont see a long term successful nrl future for michael crockett though.

garyhobson_old

Considering your immense hatred for Aussies I'm surprised you rate him so highly

I dont have a hatred for aussie players. We always need a couple in the warriors. I have a hatred for second string aussie players who come to the warriors. Like ive said in many posts before - if the warriors are buying in aussies they have to be educated buys, they cant just be anyone.

Jesbass_old

it says here martin was 18th man:

https://warriors.sitesuite.ws/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=19641

hohaia was dumped which is great. but i wonder,maybe martin was 18th man cuz he was injured.

i reckon martin will be back at right centre,and CRockett back on the right wing in place of ah van.i can't wait to see crockett back.

jerome and lance won't make it back into the top team because for the last 2 games cleary has been using GAtis as the starting hooker and taking him off after 20 minutes.

Martin was injured.

Jerome doesn't make the team because he's still injured.