General Hurrell to debut R1?

Defence_old

i disagree. if someone isnt putting in at training, and im not saying that is the case with inu, it can effect the players around them and the team in general.

enthusiasm is infectious but it goes the other way aswell.

once that player discontent infects a team they implode.

edit: "it can effect", affect?.. hate that

Prime example was the roosters last year. Myles and carney in particular are great players but they weren't putting in- club got rid of them, the teams attitude changed and they started to win games.
Not that I'm comparing inu with them two tho.

Fazz_old

Leading on from that...
The Roosters were actually in really good form at the back end of the season. They will surprise a few teams this year imo.

Spence_old

i think it was spence who claimed that there was nothing to worry about inu being dropped to vulcans because he saw him play in the first trial and he had done enough.

In terms of playing style, yes, he was definitely our best back in that game. In terms of off-field issues, or whatever, I have absolutely no idea. I wish I was privy to that information.

2big2strong_old

So going by my original theory... These are the players that I can identify in the pink training tops..

Manu Vatuvei
Kevin Locke
Ben Matulino
Russell Packer
James Maloney
Shaun Johnson
Konrad Hurrell
Nathan Friend
Feleti Mateo
Simon Mannering
Bill Tupou
Sione Lousi
Ben Henry
Elijah Taylor
Jerome Ropati

Lewis Brown didn't train (Maybe because of CHCH anniversary or because he injured his shoulder last weekend and it still hasn't come right)

So that's 16 that I'm pretty confident now will be in the top squad next Sunday. Who's the 17th? Steve Rapira? I saw a snippet in the paper that said he could be fit for round 1? Would they risk it when they could just call up Ta'ai or similar?

I'm going to stick by this theory now. I've convinced myself.

Even if he isn't named in the initial squad announcement, I still expect Hurrell to play. Maybe Bluey is trying to shield him from the spotlight? Hurrell is big news in OZ. All of the Journos have been going nuts about him for nearly 12 months. Big raps on Fox from Cameron Smith who said that he hasn't seen a better ball runner in any grade since Greg Inglis came on the scene. The hype is big.

Spence_old

1. Kevin Locke
2. Bill Tupou
3. Konrad Hurrell
4. Jerome Ropati
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. James Maloney
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Ben Matulino
9. Nathan Friend
10. Russell Packer
11. Feleti Mateo
12. Simon Mannering
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Brown
15. Sione Lousi
16. xxx
17. Ben Henry

I guess that's how it would look? Unless Bluey does indeed play Mateo at 13, but that's just deck chairs.

LordGnome_old

So going by my original theory... These are the players that I can identify in the pink training tops..

Manu Vatuvei
Kevin Locke
Ben Matulino
Russell Packer
James Maloney
Shaun Johnson
Konrad Hurrell
Nathan Friend
Feleti Mateo
Simon Mannering
Bill Tupou
Sione Lousi
Ben Henry
Elijah Taylor
Jerome Ropati

Lewis Brown didn't train (Maybe because of CHCH anniversary or because he injured his shoulder last weekend and it still hasn't come right)

So that's 16 that I'm pretty confident now will be in the top squad next Sunday. Who's the 17th? Steve Rapira? I saw a snippet in the paper that said he could be fit for round 1? Would they risk it when they could just call up Ta'ai or similar?

I'm going to stick by this theory now. I've convinced myself.

Even if he isn't named in the initial squad announcement, I still expect Hurrell to play. Maybe Bluey is trying to shield him from the spotlight? Hurrell is big news in OZ. All of the Journos have been going nuts about him for nearly 12 months. Big raps on Fox from Cameron Smith who said that he hasn't seen a better ball runner in any grade since Greg Inglis came on the scene. The hype is big.

So, the team is likely to be;

1) Kevin Locke
2) Bill Tupou
3) Konrad Hurrell
4) Jerome Ropati
5) Manu Vatuvei
6) James Maloney
7) Shaun Johnson
8) Ben Matulino
9) Nathan Friend
10) Russell Packer
11) Simon Mannering
12) Elijah Taylor
13) Feleti Mateo

Sione Lousi
Ben Henry
Lewis Brown
Tai'i/Steve Raps?

Last edited by a moderator:

facefacts_old

1) Kevin Locke
2) Bill Tupou
3) Konrad Hurrell
4) Jerome Ropati
5) Manu Vatuvei
6) James Maloney
7)Shaun Johnson
8) Ben Matulino
9) Nathan Friend
10) Russell Packer
11) Simon Mannering
12) Elijah Taylor
13) Feleti Mateo

Sione Lousi
Ben Henry
Lewis Brown
Tai'i/Steve Raps?

Any side of the park that manu is the winger, will be weak defensively and a target to run at, however if
the Tupou/Hurrell pairing starts, i know where i'd be aiming my attacking plays if i were Toovey.

LordGnome_old

1) Kevin Locke
2) Bill Tupou
3) Konrad Hurrell
4) Jerome Ropati
5) Manu Vatuvei
6) James Maloney
7) Shaun Johnson
8) Ben Matulino
9) Nathan Friend
10) Russell Packer
11) Simon Mannering
12) Elijah Taylor
13) Feleti Mateo

Sione Lousi
Ben Henry
Lewis Brown
Tai'i/Steve Raps?

I would much prefer;

1) Kevin Locke
2) Krisnan Inu
3) Konrad Hurrell
4) Jerome Ropati
5) Manu Vatuvei
6) James Maloney
7) Shaun Johnson
8) Ben Matulino
9) Nathan Friend
10) Russell Packer
11) Simon Mannering
12) Elijah Taylor
13) Feleti Mateo

Sione Lousi
Ben Henry
Lewis Brown
Tai'i/Steve Raps?

Tupo and Hurrell defending together - especially under the high ball - could be disastrous (remember Fish's debut in round 1 last year?)

David James_old

I'd like to see Hurrell at Centre and Inu outside him, that will give us power and skill, and aerial ability. We will lose the dummy half running of Tupou though which has been great for starting our sets off.

Beeteejay_old

Any side of the park that manu is the winger, will be weak defensively and a target to run at, however if
the Tupou/Hurrell pairing starts, i know where i'd be aiming my attacking plays if i were Toovey.

J'ro and Tupou were on the right in the photos (if they are even anything to go by), Hurrell and the Beast on the left.

LordGnome_old

I'd like to see Hurrell at Centre and Inu outside him, that will give us power and skill, and aerial ability. We will lose the dummy half running of Tupou though which has been great for starting our sets off.

Agreed.

AC5_old

J'ro and Tupou were on the right in the photos (if they are even anything to go by), Hurrell and the Beast on the left.

I really hope they don't try and take JRo away from Manu again. Ropati seems to be the only man Manu trusts on defence. I don't ever want to see Manu come in from his wing and get beaten by the overlap again.

Defence_old

I really hope they don't try and take JRo away from Manu again. Ropati seems to be the only man Manu trusts on defence. I don't ever want to see Manu come in from his wing and get beaten by the overlap again.

Dont know bout that- Manu and jro were good on attack but had all sorts of defensive problems when they were playing next to each other.
Jro has a tendency to give his man a little sniff on the outside and Manu used to come flying in all the time.
Actually quite liked the look of the Manu/ hurrell combo in the souths game- Manu seemed more vocal than usual- the communication was good- maybe they were speaking Tongan....

Last edited by a moderator:

MTDBIGDOGG_old

Don't think you can read too much into that photo. Don't thing he's quit ready for the big time, just yet.

Warrior Nation_old

I hope inu is there but it would be quite funny if he wasn't. Just to see the reaction of all the stuanch bluey supporters who bagged the hell out of cleary last year for not playing him.
Could be some mean backflips coming up haha
really dont see how that relates, cleary was in his sixth season as warriors coach Inu his first as a warrior player. Bluey has not even coached his very 1st game in the NRL yet? Comparing cleary after 150 or more games as head coach to Bluey zero is clutching at straws imo...

Defence_old

Not comparing them at all. How did u get that?
Just saying there was alot of staunch bluey supporters who bagged the hell out of cleary for not playing inu. Now if bluey doesn't play him they are either gonna have to bag bluey too or even better admit that cleary might have known something they didn't.

a.c.e_old

Aimgtapatalkcom 7b628604 8a79 d5b3

Inu: hey bro while im stretching . . . see Manu over there I'll tell you this inside joke about him.....

Hurrell: (takes a knee and looks over at Manu)

lol my bad. . . . . Its taking far to long for round 1.

Raurimu Massive_old

Regardless of who the centre is, Manu needs to stay out on the damn wing. When he does, the opposition attack falters 9 times out of 10 because he covers so much of the wing just by standing there with his arms spread out.

Rushing in is part of a ridiculous minset he has when he feels the need to 'get involved' - the sooner he learns that getting involved doesn't necessarily mean you have be where the ball is, the better I'll sleep.