Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:

Warriors target Kurt Capewell appears on borrowed time at Brisbane with the Broncos indicating the inspirational vice-captain will not be offered a new deal for 2025.
Sport Confidential understands Capewell is reluctant to leave the Broncos, but sees major appeal in the security of a longer-term deal to help bring a maiden premiership to the Warriors.

Capewell is off-contract at the end of next season and was spotted dining in Auckland last week with Warriors coach Andrew Webster, who has ties to the forward from their premiership stint at Penrith.

The Warriors are armed with a three-year offer for Capewell and are keen to have the 30-year-old’s services immediately if the Broncos agree to an early release.

The Broncos are torn. They view Capewell as a critical piece in their premiership assault next season, but Brisbane chiefs are also mindful of a salary-cap battle amid pressure to extend or upgrade key trio Adam Reynolds, Reece Walsh and Ezra Mam.

The Broncos are keen to retain Kurt Capewell for 2024. Picture: Getty Images

The Broncos are keen to retain Kurt Capewell for 2024. Picture: Getty Images
The Broncos will happily honour Capewell’s deal for 2024, but it appears the final decision will rest with the former Queensland Origin utility, who was left devastated by Brisbane’s grand-final loss to Penrith.

Capewell is desperate to make amends next year with a premiership ring and that could convince him to stay at the Broncos.

However, with no Brisbane deal on the table for 2025, it is understood Capewell is keen to sort out his future promptly and a move to New Zealand is a serious option.

Leaving Brisbane immediately would give Capewell some time to find his feet at the Warriors over pre-season before the premiership begins next March.

Yes, I wonder if this development was the catalyst for the Warriors to sign the deal for a game in ChCh for the next 3 years.
I think Christchurch is shaping up as the most likely 2nd nrl team. Good pathways and a new stadium - can share a few games with Wellington. Either that or a pacific team based out of Auckland, but the Moana team hasn’t been a roaring success…

Players struggle to move to Auckland, let alone Port Morsby, I have major doubts about a PNG franchise.
The Aussie government are going to bankroll it to stop Chinese influence in PNG. They’ll throw anything at it. Most games will be based in Cairns but it’s very important soft power for the Aussies. They don’t want China on their doorstep, and it’s an important mining area.

The Aussie government are going to bankroll it to stop Chinese influence in PNG. They’ll throw anything at it. Most games will be based in Cairns but it’s very important soft power for the Aussies. They don’t want China on their doorstep, and it’s an important mining area.
The chinese & Indonesians are more then on their doorstep already. They've moved in , redecorated, their kids call them daddy already.

Holy fuck. Almost as if I wrote it.. You don’t work in Welly or Canberra by any chance 🤨

In fact I can’t believe how incredibly succinct this is. 100% correct A+

I mean you can’t have both of them and CHT on the bench. I edited my post so it read better. You’d def have Walker as first man picked.
Not my most favourite bench combination either but Webster did play Walker/Jazz/ and Lussick off the bench, i dont see too much difference CHT instead of Lussick, just saying it wouldnt surprise me if Webby went that route

Not my most favourite bench combination either but Webster did play Walker/Jazz/ and Lussick off the bench, i dont see too much difference CHT instead of Lussick, just saying it wouldnt surprise me if Webby went that route
does lussick with that 4:21 or whatever it was bronco throw a spanner in the works there i wonder?

i can see jazz, walker, and CHT all on the bench with a big boy maybe?

put it this way, if channel doesn’t make the 13 and i think he will. hell be in the 17 for sure.
they’re parading him on socials more than RTS. he’s run on for sure i reckon.

does lussick with that 4:21 or whatever it was bronco throw a spanner in the works there i wonder?

i can see jazz, walker, and CHT all on the bench with a big boy maybe?

put it this way, if channel doesn’t make the 13 and i think he will. hell be in the 17 for sure.
they’re parading him on socials more than RTS. he’s run on for sure i reckon.
Haven’t noticed Barnett or TMM in many of the pictures yet.

I reckon if AFB is allowed to sort out contract now for 2025 with growing number of clubs jumping in and the Warriors should be looking for replacement and trades, there is no reason once it’s all settled the warriors wouldn’t say, well, should we just make it effective immediately

I don’t see any teams saying “Nah we will wait for another year to get AFB” (get him 1 year younger and healthier is a no brainer)

So it occurred to me the Wahs should put a clause to say they can initiate the release any time in 2024 say before August etc, and can’t be denied, and if AFB is a professional and continues to be a beast then we keep him for our 1 year gold window, if he sucks and falls off the cliff then we pull the trigger which benefits us and I am sure the other club would be keen to grab him in a new scenery

If the professional route plays out we are looking at

AFB
Egan
Marata thug life prop version
Ford
Capewell
Tohu

Bench
CHT
Walker
Barnett
Jazz for teams below top 4 or Ale/Laban/Zyon Maiu’u/Halasmia (not sure spelling)

Still have Bunty for emergency

In a weird way if AFB leaves and they do a good deal getting 2 players in we might end up with slightly weaker starting pack but a more balanced and experienced bench, we’re kinda still short of a good, big experienced power forward on the bench. Hope Ale turns into a Leniu or something, good players can become gun from their 2nd year

IN DEMAND AFB BACK IN SYDNEY AS TUG OF WAR HEATS UP

Addin Fonua-Blake jetted into Sydney on Friday as he prepares to step up talks with the three clubs interested in signing him for 2025.

Sunday Sesh understands Fonua-Blake had dinner with Canterbury head of football Phil Gould on Friday night and is expected to be given a tour of the club’s Belmore headquarters over the weekend, where he will likely hold further talks with coach Cameron Ciraldo.

Addin Fonua-Blake is back in Sydney as he prepares to step up contract talks with three clubs for 2025. Picture: Getty Images.

Addin Fonua-Blake is back in Sydney as he prepares to step up contract talks with three clubs for 2025. Picture: Getty Images.
The Bulldogs have been active in the player market but are yet to fix their problems in the middle of the field. Fonua-Blake would be an easy answer, although he is still 12 months away from being released by the Warriors.

At some point in the next fortnight he is also expected to hold further meetings with St George Illawarra head coach Shane Flanagan and Wests Tigers mentor Benji Marshall, and tour their respective facilities.

The plan is to knock over the talks with clubs while Fonua-Blake and his wife Ana are on a break from training with the Warriors. Once Fonua-Blake has made his choice, the chosen club will then sit down with the Warriors to try to nut out a deal.

This masthead revealed last month that Fonua-Blake was keen to return to Sydney for personal reasons to be close to his family.

The Warriors have put strict requirements around the details of his release, in particular that he will only be cleared to join a Sydney club.

The Dragons wasted no time putting their hand up and Flanagan will be given his chance to convince Fonua-Blake to join the Red V in the next week or two.

Back