General Hurrell article

2big2strong_old

Nope, not me! I want him extremely unfit and unable to run! :s

I never said round 1? I just said he's a certainty in the team.

Patu_old

Easiest way to look at it imo. I'm assuming that he'll come back fine and get into decent form though. If Ropo does get hurt/isn't ready yet, then the prospect of a Hurrell/Manu combo is potentially mouth watering.
That combination will take a bit of work. In fact I doubt we'll see it for the earlier rounds at least. It seems Brown and Benry are preferred over Hurrell at center at the moment.

Also Hurrell is naturally a right-sided center altho I guess beggars can't be choosers.

MarkW_old

Out of interest, and as a stop-gap measure to cover for injury, who would people rather see slotted in at centre - Brown, Taylor (that's Elijah, not Dave) or Mannering?

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing how Taylor goes.

Patu_old

Out of interest, and as a stop-gap measure to cover for injury, who would people rather see slotted in at centre - Brown, Taylor (that's Elijah, not Dave) or Mannering?

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing how Taylor goes.
I think out of the three Mannering is the best center, but he's also the best second-rower so you wouldn't want to be moving him, and I know he prefers to NOT play at center.

Taylor could do alright. Definitely not Brown.

Fazz_old

Mannering was a beast back in the 2nd row in 2011 so for me it's Taylor. I remember him doing alright there for a spell in one game. He was also meant to debut at centre, so you know the coaching staff think he'd do alright there.

Cheers for the info Patu. I guess if Inu gets dropped, Hurrell/Tupou could be just as good (once Hurrell's had some NSW Cup seasoning)

Jesbass_old

Nope, not me! I want him extremely unfit and unable to run! :s

I never said round 1? I just said he's a certainty in the team.

I didn't realise this was a speculative generalised discussion as form has been mentioned.

ToiletDuck_old

I think out of the three Mannering is the best center, but he's also the best second-rower so you wouldn't want to be moving him, and I know he prefers to NOT play at center.

Taylor could do alright. Definitely not Brown.

Agreed Simon would be the best fill-in. But we screwed up Vinnie Anderson by playing him every second week at centre when he clearly wasn't (IMO). Simon has rightly put his foot down.

You'd hope Taylor would go alright from a defensive aspect. In any case he's unlikely to go any worse than Lewis.

RRG_old

In terms of his work ethic and attitude I'd say he is. Perhaps on talent alone Inu is on par or even better, but it's never been a problem with talent when it comes to Kris.

Jerome's part of the leadership group in the team and is well-respected on and off the field. Kris has got some way to establishing himself as that kind of NRL player.

Anytime Inu's attitude is raised it reveals as much about the clubs management as it does about him. If after a year they have been unable to help him through these issues they surely should have sacked him?

Patu_old

Anytime Inu's attitude is raised it reveals as much about the clubs management as it does about him. If after a year they have been unable to help him through these issues they surely should have sacked him?
Doesn't really warrant a sacking though does it. It's not like he's out beating his girlfriend or whatever. He's actually improved over the past year - seems to putting his head down more and doing the hard yards. Good to see. Hopefully that will be transferred onto the field and he has a barnstorming year.

Buck777_old

To me Inu provided the most ironic twist of 2011. A player that fell out with Cleary for most of the season, for reasons we can only speculate about, comes back through a vacancy left by injury, and scores the winning try that gets us through to the GF, and to me was the moment if the season. That's Inu, you have to have him. If I was to speculate I'd say his beliefs play a major role in his confidence. Seen it with a couple of players I played with who were of that particular movement.

Fazz_old

Doesn't really warrant a sacking though does it. It's not like he's out beating his girlfriend or whatever. He's actually improved over the past year - seems to putting his head down more and doing the hard yards. Good to see. Hopefully that will be transferred onto the field and he has a barnstorming year.

From all I've heard about Parra, they have a shit culture over there, so he was probably just used to bludging and still getting picked. Hopefully Bluey keeps on him and we continue to see improvement. What what I've seen of him in the trials highlights he could be in for a big year. Looks like ditching the Kiwi's was the right call tbh.

You're spot on Buck, never should have been dropped from an on field perspective imo. He was easily our best back in most of the games he played. That said, if getting dropped was the kick up the arse he needed, then I have no problem with it in retrospect lol.

RRG_old

Doesn't really warrant a sacking though does it
I would consider someone having a bad attitude which warrented them not being selected for weeks on end to be a very serious problem. Normally I would expect someone with big attitude problems to be put on an action plan, where they agree to make certain changes. If months later they still are not making the needed changes then I would expect them to be held accountable.

If his attitude is improving then that is ok. If it is not and their is still problems then I believe the club has not been hard enough on him with their expectations.

Swanley_old

Hurrell is a baby, it might be too foolish to throw him straight in the deep end.

Against Manly, no...against the sharks, maybe.

I would hate for him to get smashed by Matai in his first game and lose confidence.

Northern_Union

Wouldn't Hurrell be lining up on the other side of the pitch from Matai?