Internationals Hunt

daj3_old

Could we get Karmichael Hunt to play for NZ? I know it's unlikely to happen at this stage... but given the flexibility of the rules for the world cup would it have been possible?

I see Hayne is playing for Fiji... Which got me thinking about Hunt, he's really unlucky to be missing out on playing the WC, he's eligible for NZ so why wouldn't we pick him, even at late notice?

daj3_old

And also, I thought Peter Wallace of the Broncos was gonna play for Scotland...

We may as well be making the most of every player's eligibility for this world cup. If it turned into a truly competitive affair we might actually get a competition worth having every 4 years...

A "world cup" with players such as Hunt and Wallace sitting at home watching on TV is a bit off...

Magic Stick_old

we dont want that rapeist:) nah im sweet with players topping up the minor nations,but we dont want that turncoat,he made his choice and it has worked out sweet for him

Jesbass_old

Could we get Karmichael Hunt to play for NZ? I know it's unlikely to happen at this stage... but given the flexibility of the rules for the world cup would it have been possible?

I see Hayne is playing for Fiji... Which got me thinking about Hunt, he's really unlucky to be missing out on playing the WC, he's eligible for NZ so why wouldn't we pick him, even at late notice?

1. Because he doesn't consider himself a New Zealander. As far as he's concerned, he's a true blue Aussie, and when it comes to league, I'm inclined to agree.
2. Because the New Zealand media and public are too bitter about the fact that his entire league background is Australian and that he's chosen them accordingly. (In short, too bitter about point #1.)

The reality is that he was entitled to represent Australia/Queensland, had all of his training and reserve grade football there, got his first grade debut and professional contracts there, and accordingly considers himself an Aussie. Yes, by birth, he'd be eligible, but what's his ethnic background? (Does anyone know?) I don't think New Zealand should benefit when a minor nation could do likewise. At the end of the day, the top three nations shouldn't be borrowing other nation's players, because we all have a strong representation in professional football as it is.

Morningstar_old

A "world cup" with players such as Hunt and Wallace sitting at home watching on TV is a bit off...

Not really. The point of internationals is to have the best players representing their country of choice. This is not the NRL, playing internationals should be an honour not a god given right. The Tupou's, Anderson's and Hayne's of this world should seriously give this some thought.

2big2strong_old

Yes, by birth, he'd be eligible, but what's his ethnic background? (Does anyone know?)

His mother Tera is Rarotongan (Cook Islands) she was born there and migrated to NZ in her teens I believe. His father, Hans, Is German-Samoan, born in Samoa and also migrated to NZ at a young age. They met eachother in Auckland and had Karmichael.

He played Rugby League in New Zealand for 8 years (from the age of 4 - 12) for the Avondale Wolves.

But he'd probably still be playing for the Wolves without the superior coaching and training he has recieved in Australia.

Jesbass_old

His mother Tera is Rarotongan (Cook Islands) she was born there and migrated to NZ in her teens I believe. His father, Hans, Is German-Samoan, born in Samoa and also migrated to NZ at a young age. They met eachother in Auckland and had Karmichael.

He played Rugby League in New Zealand for 8 years (from the age of 4 - 12) for the Avondale Wolves.

But he'd probably still be playing for the Wolves without the superior coaching and training he has recieved in Australia.

Oops! My bad - maybe I was getting mixed up with Benji Marshall? Played touch here but started league in Aus?

Apart from that, my point stands. Karmichael probably has little to no memory of playing at age 4, so the majority of his league experience is in Australia. And besides, like you said, without the Aussie league system, he wouldn't be the player he is today. I have absolutely no qualms about him picking Australia (and Queensland) over us.

I think the whole thing became a mountain out of a molehill, really, and it gave frustrated Kiwis an axe to grind to enable them with their tall poppy syndrome...

2big2strong_old

Oops! My bad - maybe I was getting mixed up with Benji Marshall? Played touch here but started league in Aus?

Apart from that, my point stands. Karmichael probably has little to no memory of playing at age 4, so the majority of his league experience is in Australia. And besides, like you said, without the Aussie league system, he wouldn't be the player he is today. I have absolutely no qualms about him picking Australia (and Queensland) over us.

I think the whole thing became a mountain out of a molehill, really, and it gave frustrated Kiwis an axe to grind to enable them with their tall poppy syndrome...

Well said. I agree with everything you said, I have no problems with him playing for Australia, he's passionate about it and I respect him for sticking by his guns. Some players play for whoever chooses them and he could of had the easy option of playing test football with the Kiwis, but he had a dream and waited for his chance and he was rewarded.

daj3_old

I'm not wanting to resurrect the karmichael hunt issue of yesteryear, I'd just like to see this world cup become a showcase of how international the game is, not how much it isn't. If Tonga, Samoa etc are as strong as possible then hopefully in the future we'll see players pick Samoa over Australia, Tonga over NZ... NZ over Australia and so on...

NZ doesn't really need Hunt so my argument might not stand... but yeah... I reckon relaxing the eligibility rules for the WC is a good thing... hopefully Samoa, Fiji and Tonga can maintain good teams after that.

Jesbass_old

Well said. I agree with everything you said, I have no problems with him playing for Australia, he's passionate about it and I respect him for sticking by his guns. Some players play for whoever chooses them and he could of had the easy option of playing test football with the Kiwis, but he had a dream and waited for his chance and he was rewarded.

In that context, the contrast between the likes of Hunt and mercenariess like Moi Moi and Tuiaki is like the difference between night and day.

Jesbass_old

I'm not wanting to resurrect the karmichael hunt issue of yesteryear, I'd just like to see this world cup become a showcase of how international the game is, not how much it isn't. If Tonga, Samoa etc are as strong as possible then hopefully in the future we'll see players pick Samoa over Australia, Tonga over NZ... NZ over Australia and so on...

NZ doesn't really need Hunt so my argument might not stand... but yeah... I reckon relaxing the eligibility rules for the WC is a good thing... hopefully Samoa, Fiji and Tonga can maintain good teams after that.

Yeah, I get that you were just using him as an example. ;)

I actually think we need to be more strict on eligibility - not more loose. An international league match is supposed to feature the best 17 available players eligible for that country. If you're the 18th best, that's just too bad - suck it up, use it as motivation in training, and give the selectors no other option the next time around.

I think the mentality that "damn, I missed out on Australia - oh well, I'll just play for Samoa instead" is more harmful to the international game than helpful.

I know of no other sport that swaps players around in the manner in which league does. I think players need to make their choice and stick with it. Or alternatively, only allow them one switch - older players from Australia and New Zealand could pick Samoa, Ireland, and so on to help out those weaker nations, but can't switch back.

Skinny_Ravs82

Of coruse in a world cup we want to see a level playing field but I don't think it'll ever happen with just about everyone wanting to play for the best, ie Australia

Jesbass_old

Of coruse in a world cup we want to see a level playing field but I don't think it'll ever happen with just about everyone wanting to play for the best, ie Australia

If that's your standpoint, what is your reasoning for not wanting a more level playing field by having Hunt play for the Kiwis? (Or another non-Australian nation, for that matter.)

2big2strong_old

In that context, the contrast between the likes of Hunt and mercenariess like Moi Moi and Tuiaki is like the difference between night and day.

Incorrect.

You've got players like Inu who has stated he wanted to play for NSW and Australia but Brian Mclennan went and spoke to him about playing for NZ and then picked him after 1 first grade game. Inu would of seen it as an opportunity, not a passion.

Utai and Mason (both NZ born and Australian trained like Hunt) saod in 2002 that they're preference was Australia but if they weren't picked they'd play for NZ. Mason got picked Utai didn't.

There really is no difference between Hunt and these other players as you stated, in fact he played juniour league in NZ and Mason and Tuiaki didn't.

Tuiaki was born in NZ for the record, but didn't play his first game of league till he was in his twenty's for North Curl Curl in Sydney.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

I think you missed my point - not about player origins and who they ended up representing. I'm saying Hunt had a passion to represent Australia and Queensland, and he stood by it, and fought hard for it. Moi Moi basically came out and said he'd play for whoever wanted him more, and Tuiaki said he'd play for whoever picked Moi Moi, hence the term "mercenaries".

2big2strong_old

I think you missed my point - not about player origins and who they ended up representing. I'm saying Hunt had a passion to represent Australia and Queensland, and he stood by it, and fought hard for it. Moi Moi basically came out and said he'd play for whoever wanted him more, and Tuiaki said he'd play for whoever picked Moi Moi, hence the term "mercenaries".

lol, oops my bad. I misunderstood. Mercenaries? Aren't they people that go to all corners of the world spreading the gospel? haha

Jesbass_old

lol, oops my bad. I misunderstood. Mercenaries? Aren't they people that go to all corners of the world spreading the gospel? haha

Haha! That's missionaries, my main man! Mercenaries are the guys who fight for whoever pays the most. :D

Jesbass_old

If that's your standpoint, what is your reasoning for not wanting a more level playing field by having Hunt play for the Kiwis? (Or another non-Australian nation, for that matter.)

Skins, I'm interested in your response to this question.