General How Will Coronavirus Affect the NRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was hyped as a great thing for rugby league last year when V'landys came on board. That was more for him to negotiate the new TV deal as he had contacts and done well in his previous role.

He has his job cut out for him now.
have the utmost confidence in Mr V'Landys. Did a great job with the racing industry, not afraid to tell it like it is

I think the reality of a New Zealand club based in Auckland will survive. How many New Zealand fans of rugbaleague and the NRL watch the Warriors and deathride them versus support them? The NRL wouldn't want to give up either market.

However, if what's been made public about the NRL's lack of financial smarts and nerve and the 16 clubs' greed is true, Autex might find themselves having to A) Make cuts to certain areas of the Warriors organisation and B) Invest money in other areas of the Warriors organisation.

If it was me, I'd gut the pre-game guff: Kill off Pukuna TV. The drummers, I'm not sure what money they get from the Warriors, but if they do get any, maybe they have to do it for the love for a while if they want to remain. Certainly no wasting money on weird pre-game crap like we were served up several times last year ie that weird dancing on wires thing :rolleyes:. I'd consider hosting a Fox game as a build-up to whichever of the lower Warriors team was also playing Mt Smart on gameday - ie 2:30PM Howick Hornets v Northcote Tigers, 5:00PM New Zealand Warriors Canterbury Cup v Manly Sea Eagles Canterbury Cup, then the NRL. Give back to the local game by giving exposure...

And that's all before thinking about what kind of salary cap the Warriors and the other clubs - those that survive - will have to work with in 2021. Most people reckon that's going downwards.

Whatever happens, 2021 isn't going to be as extragant as 2019. Which isn't actually a bad thing if done right.

I'd be more worried if I was a Sea Eagles, Sharks or Bulldogs fan right now. Of all the clubs, the Bulldogs, Sea Eagles and Sharks come across as the most financially wobbly.

I'd be more worried if I was a Sea Eagles, Sharks or Bulldogs fan right now. Of all the clubs, the Bulldogs, Sea Eagles and Sharks come across as the most financially wobbly.
It’s been reported that the warriors are looking at a 6m loss this year.

I could see Manly being in with a chance to win the whole comp this season. Top 4 at least. Now it’s conceivable they don’t survive this. 🙁

• Sad
Reactions: Johnnyray
I know the NRL have said they will help clubs survive. That might be possible as they'd still need the funds to help and run the competition.

This could be the only way we get a reduction in teams. The problem there is would it happen in the area where it is needed. Sydney. Its likely an out of Sydney club would be a victim as well.

The other obstacle is the clubs and the NSWRL and QRL essentially now own the game. Part of the sports financial issues are from the clubs previous Commissioners bowing to pressure from the clubs and giving them what they want. Namely a lot more money, cause they wouldn't go broke with more money. Looks like most have spent it in the arms race to improve sports science and facilities.

The clubs owning the game also makes the strategic goals of the Commission impossible. Remember before it was formed the Independent Commission was going to solve all of the games problems like reduce clubs in Sydney. If they did that the clubs would just rally together and get new Commissioners.

Rothfield put up an impassioned defense for Cronulla's financial state yesterday. He's a Sharks fan and has written articles about how they will be a big financial powerhouse. Blinkered eyes from a passionate fan. Reports of Cronulla's soon to be great financial state have been around for years yet we still read about them being on the brink.

Reactions: Tyrael
Will the Warriors survive? Does Cameron George have a plan to ride this out? Will us fans need to make sure our club floats?

I know my team is shit and it has let me down for years and years but it's still my team. What do I need to do to help keep it floating? Buy some merch?

I would say we are around middle of the pack in terms of financial viability. Roosters Souths and Broncos are well placed and teams like Tigers, Sharks and Titans will be under a lot of pressure. Eels and Panthers rely heavily on Leagues club money which will take a big hit under the lockdown.

I think we will survive but take a big hit like everyone else.

Will the Warriors survive? Does Cameron George have a plan to ride this out? Will us fans need to make sure our club floats?

I know my team is shit and it has let me down for years and years but it's still my team. What do I need to do to help keep it floating? Buy some merch?
There was an article with our owner yesterday saying the club would survivie. That may change depending on how much money they need to sink into the club.

Some tough decisions for the clubs. They have memberships for fans which involves X amount of games. I know there are more important things at the moment but with a lot of people potentially in for a rough time financially they didn't deliver games so a refund wouldn't be out of the question. Unless they found a way to make things up to them which is a challenge as most fans support a club due to the core product the football.

This will sound contradictory to my above statement. Buying a membership albeit probably one that doesn't involve games could still help, along with buying merchandise.

I saw somewhere someone posted buy merchandise to help your club. It could be the last time, or a collectors item if they fold. Sad.

• Sad
Reactions: Johnnyray
It's the right decision but in a selfish way I wanted it to keep going to give people some sport to look forward to every week.

I'll have to YouTube binge all the old NRL highlights from previous years.

If say the Sea Eagles were to fold, I wonder if the NRL would consider a "draft" for their contracted players based on the current table. So, Titans get first pick, us second etc. Or will the NRL allow Roosters to drop three Reserve Grade players in order to recruit DCE and the two Trbojevic's.

Apparantly on Radio Sport this morning Vossy implied that the "Pandemic Expert" V'landys was talking about last night on NRL360 was actually a displeased Cronulla Sharks fan by the name of Scott Morrison. Spooky coincidence he has the same name as the Australian Prime Minister, eh?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.