General How Will Coronavirus Affect the NRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
It's not lab engineered.

These things are really easy to sequence and analyze.

Bats have a VERY similar Covid virus.

Pangolins have a Covid virus with very similar spikes.

It's roots already exist in nature.

The reason disease experts have worried about China a lot longer than the rest of us is the population density in close exposure to livestock.

You dont need a interweb lab back story, Chinas streets are already like a super lab for these things in the real....they're incubating this stuff without the need for mans nefarious involvement.

1995Warriorsfan

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
It will be a miracle if the NRL and A-League can continue now.

Australia will be in total lock down soon like us here in NZ.

Unfortunately the players etc will have to take pay cuts and ride this out like the rest if us.

1995Warriorsfan

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
The wives are calling them to return home and it looks like the NRL only cared about themselves. It’s all turning to shit.

More NRL drama as partners call for Warriors to return home

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
March 23, 2020 2:40pm

Wives and partners of New Zealand Warriors players are calling for their husbands to return home immediately after their nation today announced a month-long lockdown from this Wednesday.
In a worrying sign for the NRL’s hopes of keeping the New Zealanders in the comp, The Daily Telegraph has been told that concerned family members have inundated chief executive Cameron George — with some in tears and demanding to know for how much longer they will be without their partners.
It is believed some of the partners are also angry that the NRL competition continues despite most other sports being postponed amid the coronavirus crisis.

It is believed a hook-up between club management and the senior playing group this afternoon could determine for how much longer the Warriors are prepared to stay away from their families from their temporary post on the NSW north coast at Kingscliff.
Adding to the club’s woes is the fact that the Warriors are in a world of hurt financially as they look at $6 million financial loss this year.
It’s a bleak forecast that is a direct result of them being forced to stay in Australia and having no home games or any interaction with sponsors and members.
It is understood that the Warriors have also felt let down by NRL management in recent days after going cap in hand last week and asking for help but basically feeling like they had been fobbed off.

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys has now stepped up and tried to convince the Warriors management that they have the governing body’s support.
The feeling at this point is that the players will vote to stay, but for how much longer is anyone’s guess given the pressure that is coming from back home.
There are also other players currently in quarantine at nearby Lennox Head who are isolated away from their family and the team, as part of Australia’s 14-day quarantine restrictions as they try and re-join the squad after early season injuries.
The Warriors have started the season with back-to-back losses but everyone is understanding of the unprecedented circumstances they are facing.
If some players do decide to leave the team and return home the NRL has given the Warriors permission to try and sign leftover players from rival clubs that will be exempt from the salary cap but it all costs money that they don’t

Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Geez if the Warriors survive this it is hard to imagine Autex pumping money into the club for the next few years . Bleak times, the one positive for the club's short/medium term future was solid ownership with the ability to invest.

mrblonde

mrblonde

I just need one more round from the Warriors...

Just one more round pls......

V'landys and Greenburg are probably saying the same damn thing. Just one more round, get that next quarter's money from the paymasters then say "Screw you guys, you're going home!"

And on top of this shit, Goddamn AMC won't release all the remaining Better Call Saul episodes!! Still rationed to one episode on Tuesday....

NRL360 will be most interesting tonight. I think the "the NRL are giving the people some live sport in a time where things are kind of grim and good on 'em" argument is losing steam...

BiggerD

BiggerD

NRL set to suspended the comp.

Sure is Warriors will now come home.. go into isolation for 2 weeks
and be with there whanau over these difficult times.

Channel 9’s Danny Weidler has reported that over the last half an hour that the season is set to follow the AFL’s lead and suspend the season.

While the NRL has been pushing to keep playing throughout the coronavirus, Weidler said the NRL were set to link up with teams at 5.45pm before a press conference at 6pm.

With staff being stood down until May 1, the speculation has ramped up that the competition was left with little choice but to suspend the season.

• Wow
Reactions: Johnnyray
Worried2Death

Worried2Death

We'll finally have to accept there's more important things in life than the Warriors. I don't know how I'm going to break this to my wife, it took me 25 years to convince her there isn't.

Take care whanou, Kia kaha, next year's our year again.

Last edited:
Pozza

Pozza

If its true, I dips me lid to V'landys for hanging in there as long as he did. Now the interesting part, what clubs will wither on the vine. Is this now the perfect opportunity to re negotiate everything? Think there maybe a few CEO's shitting themselves !

Chats271

Chats271

Well hey, on the bright side, we only lost 2 games all season :p

In all seriousness though, I think between NSW/Victoria/Queensland shutting their borders , external pressure from the public after the AFL shut down their comp, and the Warriors partners starting to struggle without their significant others, They were really going to struggle to keep the comp going after today.

Will be very interesting to see how they move forward from here.....And at least the boys get to go home to their Whanau

Last edited:
Blain

Blain

Sad - But needs to happen. Only chance was to move ever team to the QLD facility, but doubt they had the buy in from clubs.

Hopefully we have the comp back later in the year. Fuck internationals.. 16 week comp, everyone plays each other once.. We'll see eh. Even guys like Green and Blair in their final years of their contracts, if we don't start up again they're gone? So weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.