General How Will Coronavirus Affect the NRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
brightman

brightman

Everyone is scared shitless right now

China was like this 3 months ago

Now they’re slowly accepting it and getting back to living...
China is not actually accepting it, they've broken the virus' hold and they did this by shutting down and locking down Hubei and Wuhan. Now they are returning to normal life with strict rules to squash any 2nd wave of Covid19 being reintroduced from expats fleeing Europe and the UK in effort to return to the safety of China..

Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Ecology 101, any organism that invades an ecosystem and has a swift effect tends to lose influence because it destroys its potential hosts. Anything it doesn't kill is usually immune. That is why effective fungicides don't last for long. Even nicotinoids are showing resistance. So it isn't safe to say it they won't evolve into something really bad, but history says it will run out of puff.
Oh for sure.
They all do eventually.
Damage control.

Reactions: bruce
Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
China is not actually accepting it, they've broken the virus' hold and they did this by shutting down and locking down Hubei and Wuhan. Now they are returning to normal life with strict rules to squash any 2nd wave of Covid19 being reintroduced from expats fleeing Europe and the UK in effort to return to the safety of China..
First local transmission case announced just now in China.
Second wave is the next thing hey.

Beastmode

Beastmode

Just another day in paradise
Contributor
In China. Here it would mean the virus was not brought in from overseas. They must have a new infection...the so called second wave they are expecting. If the Spanish flu is a guide the second wave will be very short and very nasty, and then be gone.

Not sure i still understand

It originated in China so how is it brought from o/s? unless you’re saying there’s a new strain that came from “outside”.

Honestly I don’t trust a thing that comes out of China media/government . Any government for that matter. They’re doing a great jog at spreading mass fear and ruining the economy which is worst than the virus itself.

Stone

Stone

It originated in China so how is it brought from o/s? unless you’re saying there’s a new strain that came from “outside”.

Honestly I don’t trust a thing that comes out of China media/government . Any government for that matter. They’re doing a great jog at spreading mass fear and ruining the economy which is worst than the virus itself.
Local transmission means people from the local area transmitting the virus to others in the local area.

Eg: Person A brings in virus in from a foreign location (lets say Aus) tranmits it to Person B in current location (lets say NZ) Person B transmits it to Person C (also from NZ).

The local transmission is between persons B & C so fourth & so on.

Beastmode

Beastmode

Contributor
Local transmission means people from the local area transmitting the virus to others in the local area.

Eg: Person A brings in virus in from a foreign location (lets say Aus) tranmits it to Person B in current location (lets say NZ) Person B transmits it to Person C (also from NZ).

The local transmission is between persons B & C .

I’m sure thats already happening in China without even needing Person A....

To think otherwise is naive

Worried2Death

Worried2Death

Ecology 101, any organism that invades an ecosystem and has a swift effect tends to lose influence because it destroys its potential hosts. Anything it doesn't kill is usually immune. That is why effective fungicides don't last for long. Even nicotinoids are showing resistance. So it isn't safe to say it they won't evolve into something really bad, but history says it will run out of puff.
Historical models are encouraging, assuming this virus wasn't lab engineered. If it was, there's no precedent. That's probly a bit too tinfoil hat for a league forum tho.

Last edited:
Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
What does that mean?

Local transmission ?
Wot Bruce said.

Also something Bruce said about the way viruses evolve is a very good point....namely you get over them eventually to a large degree.

This is about the Viruses aim if you can say that, being ideally not to kill the host.

So as a general rule as these things evolve they become less of a threat to life. They literally learn how to mutate in people so they ideally don't kill them off.

Also survivors have immunity...(we dont know for how long with COVID 19 yet) means that the virus finds it much harder to spread through communities.

Ergo the problem with this thing is right now it's very catchy and this means there's a risk of hospitals not being able to cope with this 'Everywhere all at once" effect....which is really what a global pandemic is to the man in the street...out of control spread in overwhelming numbers.

Last edited:
Sup42

Sup42

Contributor

So....after the initial wave there were no new cases locally for two days.

They had stopped it spreading in otherwords.

However there were new cases 'arriving' into China (mainly into Beijing) coming from overseas.

Today someone locally caught COVID 19 from someone else local.

The second wave refers to when after the first outbreak is contained, you can get new outbreaks.

Lastly trusting info out of China or the United states is indeed problematic.

Beastmode

Beastmode

Contributor
AFL has announced it has suspended its competition. Expecting NRL doing the same now or to quickly move all teams to the same location. Logistically it would need to do so many things in such a short space of time.

I just need one more rd from the Warriors next week against Manly to put the nail in the coffin.

Just give us one more round pls 🙏🙏🙏

mrblonde

mrblonde

Historical models are encouraging, assuming this virus wasn't lab engineered. If it was, there's no precedent. That's probly a bit too tinfoil hat for a league forum tho.

Sometime this week there was as "official accouncement by experts" that the genome of the Virus couldn't possibly be man-made.

How many people regard that as "the unasked for promise"? The unasked for promise being like a situation where you get confronted by a thug who says "I'm not going to stab you." Of course you're not going to stab me, why would I even think...Oh fuck he has a knife and oh fuck that hurts!!

I personally lean towards the whole thing being natural, but, hey, it doesn't make as much of a good movie, does it?

It's a good thing toilet paper doesn't block mind control or mind reading or electromagnetic stuff anywhere near as well as tinfoil otherwise I'd really be screwed right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.