General How many of us play tag

mr-rewa_old

From the ARL site
"Please note that the ‘Trial Match’ for the Vulcans scheduled for this weekend (December 7th) has been put on hold until the New Year.

Coach Bernie Perenara’s decision to defer this trial has been forced by the large number of players involved in competitive ‘Tag’."

YEA ITS SUMMER BERNIE

Jesbass_old

Are tag and touch the same thing?

No, they're different. Tag involves each player having two tags attached to their hips, and defenders have to rip the tag off to claim a tag/touch/tackle. So it's a lot closer to league than touch in that you can break the line a lot more easily.

Viking_old

From the ARL site
"Please note that the ‘Trial Match’ for the Vulcans scheduled for this weekend (December 7th) has been put on hold until the New Year.

Coach Bernie Perenara’s decision to defer this trial has been forced by the large number of players involved in competitive ‘Tag’."

YEA ITS SUMMER BERNIE

Agreed, it's too early for trial games.

Is Graeme Woodhouse gonna have a crack at the Vulcans next year? He carved up in the preseason trial against the Warriors U20s at the beginning of this year, scored 3 tries and would've had 5 if his centre had a sharper pass.

Jesbass_old

Didn't know that. What grade are you reffing at the moment?

The lowest. Three age groups, ranging from 7 to 12. Basically school kids who wouldn't get exposure to any kind of league otherwise. Basically, I found myself temporarily without work in my new town, so I hit up the local NZRL guy, (a genius by the name of Len Reid), and asked if there was anything I could do to help. We have the finals next Tuesday, and then I'm going with Len and a couple of others to Whakatane on the following Thursday to referee at a tag tournament down there to help expose more youngsters to the sport.

mr-rewa_old

Agreed, it's too early for trial games.

Is Graeme Woodhouse gonna have a crack at the Vulcans next year? He carved up in the preseason trial against the Warriors U20s at the beginning of this year, scored 3 tries and would've had 5 if his centre had a sharper pass.

i think G-man is in oz now
Hope he carves it up ova there

JonB_old

The lowest. Three age groups, ranging from 7 to 12. Basically school kids who wouldn't get exposure to any kind of league otherwise. Basically, I found myself temporarily without work in my new town, so I hit up the local NZRL guy, (a genius by the name of Len Reid), and asked if there was anything I could do to help. We have the finals next Tuesday, and then I'm going with Len and a couple of others to Whakatane on the following Thursday to referee at a tag tournament down there to help expose more youngsters to the sport.

Good job man,I refed a few games of rugby once, I called try and on second thought a player broke significant rules to score it.
Then for the rest of the game I was being biased to the team that I had officiated poorly against. They lost and possibly shouldn't of.
I then concluded I am a terrible ref, and have never touched a whistle again.

That adventure you got yourself into sounds fun though, how are you finding it?

Viking_old

i think G-man is in oz now
Hope he carves it up ova there

Hopefully he has a crack at the Queensland Cup, he's definately good enough. He must of been close to the highest scoring wing or centre in Fox and Sharman this year then carved up the National Comp.

My boy put 3 tries past him in two games this year which sounds good except Graeme put 5 on him! He was definately the most difficult back to play against. Good luck to him, you never know how far he could go.

Jesbass_old

Good job man,I refed a few games of rugby once, I called try and on second thought a player broke significant rules to score it.
Then for the rest of the game I was being biased to the team that I had officiated poorly against. They lost and possibly shouldn't of.
I then concluded I am a terrible ref, and have never touched a whistle again.

That adventure you got yourself into sounds fun though, how are you finding it?

Haha, yeah. Because the kids are really young, and it's basically introducing them to league, we have a pretty strong "play on" policy. One of the parents didn't like that and he stood over me on my second night, (after my 4th match).

"Are they allowed to knock on and pass forward, are they?" he asked.
"No, they're not," I replied.
"Then why don't you call them? How will they ever learn?"

Fair comments, and if I'd seen them, I would have called them, but it's amazing what you don't see when you're in the middle. Bodies get in the way, the kids are squawking like seagulls...

In fact, I've refereed 14 or 15 games now, and I've only seen a single forward pass, which really goes to show how essential touch judges are to those sorts of calls.

Jesbass_old

I've had a great day today. I went down to Whakatane to referee at a school Kiwitag tournament. We had 15 teams from about 5 schools. We held it at Apanui School in Whakatane, and we had teams from the likes to Matata and Thornton. Awesome stuff.

It was great weather, too. Hot work, when you're out there from 9am to 12:30pm or so, but great fun. It's so good to see the kids discovering a new game.

And for the record, an Apanui team won, (as expected), but St Joseph's pushed them close. I had two matches between different Apanui teams and different St Joseph's teams, and they finished 1-0 and 3-2 respectively. Real crackers.