General Guttenbeil Update

Jesbass_old

From www.nzherald.co.nz:

Awen Guttenbeil is still expected to play in next year's UK Super League, despite Castleford's relegation. Guttenbeil's contract with Castleford became null and void after a loss to fellow strugglers Wakefield last weekend condemned Castleford to the drop but the 30-year-old second rower is chasing another Super League contract.

"We are pretty confident he can pick something up over there [in the UK]," said his agent, Frank Endacott. "We already had some plans in place in case Castleford were relegated."

Guttenbeil could be a replacement for Wakefield's Monty Betham, who's understood to be returning to New Zealand to pursue a boxing career. There may also be opportunities with the team promoted to Super League, most likely Widnes or Hull KR.

There had been suggestions Guttenbeil might be offered a new deal to fill the Warriors' vacancy created by Sione Faumuina's sacking. But it's understood the Warriors are close to signing a local player to complete their squad.

Guttenbeil also said he had his sights set on further afield. "It would be strange to be here [at the Warriors] next year because I'd said my farewells," Guttenbeil admitted. "Myself and my family have prepared ourselves to go to the UK so if we still can, that would be great. But we are looking at all the options in the NRL and Super League."

*Kimmy*_old

Tbh I was looking forward to still seeing him in the NRL.

Ohwell..good luck to Awen..:D

Skinny_Ravs82

Certainly wish Awen and the family all the best in getting what they are looking for over in the UK!
And what's this about Monty wanting to persue a boxing career...hmmm..that could be a good spectacle! hehe

sebastian_old

Good news, so we might not have to see Awen play against the Warriors yet. As for Montys boxing carrer, no doubte he's got potential but he's left it a bit late hasn't he? How old is Monty? Early 30's?

Jesbass_old

sebastian said:
Good news, so we might not have to see Awen play against the Warriors yet. As for Montys boxing carrer, no doubte he's got potential but he's left it a bit late hasn't he? How old is Monty? Early 30's?

He's 28. And he's being managed by none other than Mick Watson. :shock:

sebastian_old

Jesbass said:
sebastian said:

Do you reckon Monty can still give the boxing world a good shake at 28? I'd love to see him fight Hoppa, even in a charity match.

Jesbass_old

sebastian said:
Jesbass said:
sebastian said:

Do you reckon Monty can still give the boxing world a good shake at 28? I'd love to see him fight Hoppa, even in a charity match.

I don't know. He wasn't voted the most feared player in the NRL for nothing. I'd love to see that fight, too. Hoppa is a brilliant boxer.

https://nzwarriors.com/viewtopic.php?t=9761

warriorfaithful*_old

Jesbass said:
sebastian said:
Jesbass said:
sebastian said:

I don't know. He wasn't voted the most feared player in the NRL for nothing. I'd love to see that fight, too. Hoppa is a brilliant boxer.

https://nzwarriors.com/viewtopic.php?t=9761
well you would think if hoppa could do it then so could monty!

*Kimmy*_old

Jesbass said:
sebastian said:

Yeah read that yesterday..why the feck would you wanna be managed by him?????????????

warriorfaithful*_old

Go_The_Doggies said:
Jesbass said:
sebastian said:

Yeah read that yesterday..why the feck would you wanna be managed by him?????????????
Lol :lol: Who knows!?

Skinny_Ravs82

:evil: I get really, really bad vibes when ever Mick's name gets mentioned...haha. I don't think 28 is late. Some people do well at a later age.

*~*Fa'AhVaN*~*_old

dam i was hoping to meet awen next yr, go to a tigers game n wait behind the sheds. i never met him n gess i never will :cry: but best of luk to him in the ESL anyway :)

blain91_old

What happened about him going 2 west tigers, Was it just random rumour? I was hoping would play him. it would of been awesome!

sebastian_old

Jesbass said:
STRIDER said:
I wonder who the local player is ?

So do I. I'm sure that news will please some people.

I've always been a fan of young blood, especially home grown, so it will be interesting to hear other peoples opinions when the player is announced.

Swanley_old

That will be great news if it happens. We should be looking at Local talent for our development and fringe players.

DANNY BROUGH

Jesbass said:

(Cas Tigers fan here.)

A lot of the SL clubs over here in the UK are making a bee-line for Awen. Wont be long before hes snapped up.

warriorfaithful*_old

DANNY BROUGH said:
Jesbass said:

(Cas Tigers fan here.)

A lot of the SL clubs over here in the UK are making a bee-line for Awen. Wont be long before hes snapped up.
Yeah, some team in the ESL is going to sign him.