General Guttenbeil: Reviews and previews the Warriors

Buck777_old

One round down and let’s hope lessons learned.

Although the result didn’t go the way Bluey and his boys wanted, there were signs they have the makings of a competitive side.

I always find the first week, or for that matter the first month, of the competition a bit of a false indicator on how a side might fear come September. Players are still finding their rhythm and coaches honing their selection options and tactics.

You’d expect the sides that have the least change in the off season to start better than the rest and ones with new coaches and structures to take a little longer to hit their straps.

On Sunday I thought this was exactly what happened to the Warriors when they took on Manly. I thought the pressure of playing in front of a massive home crowd on a perfect day might have been a bit much for the Warriors who made some poor decisions with the footy and coughed the ball up too easily.

I could see players still coming to terms with what their roles are within the side and what the expectations are from their new coach.

I thought McClennan opting for Ben Henry starting in the centers was a big ask and felt for him when Steve Matai out paced him to score. Henry to me is a backrower and I wish the Warriors would stop selecting backrowers in single number jumpers.

Konrad Hurrell showed that he will be a handful for any side to contain with his sound defensive decisions game high of 154 meters. Lets hope he gets a start this week.

One area Bluey could look to improve is his interchange bench. Not using Lewis Brown and Akuma Ta’ai until the last 25 minutes seemed strange given the impact they had when they were injected into the game.

The Warriors’ bench rotation was one of their strengths last season and I’m sure it will be again this year.

Shaun Johnson showed that he is the real deal and - injury free - could be one of the games greats. In all, the home side showed a lot of character to come back from 16 points down to have a chance of winning the match.

I’m sure the more this side plays together the better they’ll get.

They will face another stiff test on Monday night against a Parramatta side that will be hungry for their first win of the season after falling to the Brisbane Broncos last week.

Stephen Kearney’s Eels will look to dominate up front and keep the Warriors in their half of the field. They will try to put the visitors under pressure and capitalize on any errors.

The Eels’ new halves Chris Sandow and Ben Roberts will get better by the game and will target the edges hoping to get at Hurrell or Inu in defense.

The Warriors will know to win this they will need to eliminate poor decisions and errors. They will want to start the game better which means completing their sets with the footy and restricting any meters the Eels make.

Three of the Parramatta forwards ran for over 100 metres compared to one of the Warrior’s pack men so the boys in the middle will need to front up for the NZ based side.

I’m sure Krisnan Inu will be keen for a big game playing his old club for the first time since leaving at the end of 2010. He has a massive opportunity to cement a starting spot in the absence of an injured Jerome Ropati.

The kicking game of Johnson and James Maloney will play a big part in the outcome of this one. If they can find space with the boot they will play the game on the front foot and keep the big forwards of Parra turning to bring the ball back which will make finding meters more difficult for them.

Look for Manu Vatuvei to have another big game and for him to pay more attention when getting up to play the ball.

Verdict:
The Warriors will get their first win of the season if the game is close at the 20 minute mark. If they are trailing they will need to play disciplined and get into an arm wrestle as they have a more dynamic side that is capable of scoring points on the back of a great defensive effort.

If they try too hard it could be their undoing.

Lets take a look at the rest of the round.

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/opinions/show/3145798/have-the-warriors-learned-their-lessons/

arcane_old

Nice neutral preview there thanks Awen, too afraid too say the boys will lose this one?

Understandable though given his ties to the team.

"I could see players still coming to terms with what their roles are within the side and what the expectations are from their new coach."

Friend is the only one (Benry also but thats another story) I noticed that was like a possum in headlights, but time will see him come right.

Awen is just stating the obvious really.

Buck777_old

Interesting comment that the warriors (bluey) should stop selecting backrowers in single number jerseys

surfin_old

Looks like Awen is thinking along the same way as most of the posters here, especially in regards to Benry, but at least he's not holding Benry reponsible for being picked out of position.