General Guilty pleasures...

madformoana_old

You know what I'm talking about.

The unconventional player that somehow warmed your heart.

The player everyone else panned but secretly you harboured favouritism for.

The player that, if you were to start a fan club, you knew you'd be the only member.

If we're big enough to admit it we've all had them.

I've got two.

In my youth as North Sydney supporter (RIP) there were plenty of unfashionable players that caught my eye, but in my younger more impressionable years I was more drawn to what were the big names of the time, firstly Billy Moore, and eventually Sean Hoppe.

But then in 1995, in the wake of the Super League fiasco, an underachieving winger from Illawarra landed on our doorstep, and until the club folded in 1999, he could (in my eyes) do no wrong. His name was Nigel Roy. I didn't care how much crap I got at school, how much away fans would laugh at my cheers of support, I was of the belief this man was the premier winger in the comp and I would campaign for that elusive representative call up year after year. I knew in my heart of hearts I was the only one who felt this way, but still I'd wait after every home game to let him know how well he'd played, and when news came through in mid 2000 that he was setting sail for the ESL (I remember my Dad breaking the news to me as I stood in a phone box, freezing my arse off on the Otago peninsula), I was heart broken like I'd never felt. That was the first wave of player exodus to the UK. And although the Bears were no more, I thought the NRL had lost something it never took the time to appreciate.

Maybe I was wrong, but I still like to think he was everything my youthful mind built him up to be.

Regardless, I was young.

I wasn't quite so young (so there goes that excuse) when in the 2005 as a Warrior I fell for another hopeless three quarter who promised so little and delivered only a wee bit more than that.

If you tried to tell me that Todd was not "Godd" then I wouldn't listen. And there's at least one member of this forum that may or may not man up to admitting he felt it to. Sure he lacked speed (why does a winger need that anyway?) And sure he looked like he'd snap if the wind changed direction, but even I couldn't have predicted how utterly protective I would become over Todd Byrne. We had every rhyming slang in the book to show Todd our support each game day, and didn't care what the opposition thought of him. I guess moments like that match winner against the Rabbits made it all worth while. But I also know that spending a god forsaken Easter weekend in a subzero Canberra watching him get chased down with a match-winning try in his sights made me take back every moment I'd stood up for him.

But truth be told he was the player I most wanted to see succeed every weekend, and, after Stacey's final game in 2005 when we were waiting outside Brookvale Oval to meet the boys and the guest of honour - it was Todd I hurried to for a photo, before Stacey even registered on my radar.

So.....

Anyone else wanna fess up?

Anyone who ever had a secret desire to see Cliff Beverley succeed?

Anyone who once chanted "Give Paul Dezolt a chance"

Are you the president of the Brady Malam fan club?

Attachments

• n642765662_557089_4466.jpg
    n642765662_557089_4466.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

I vaguely recall liking Anthony Swann, although the one that is a true guilty pleasure was...

...wait for it...

...Shane Endacott.

No, I don't know why. I also rated Jarrad Anderson. What is it with me and coach-player father-son duos?

(Brilliant topic idea, by the way.)

madformoana_old

Ha!

I almost included both Shane and Anthony at the bottom of my original post - nice one :)

As a former Bear I got to revel in the complete uselessness of Anthony Swann there too!

Skinny_Ravs82

That's a great tale there mate. Really lovely, having met the guy once before he's just a lovely fella.

Can't think of any really...maybe
Ravs and Witty and Gaz, but I don't consider it a guilty pleasure.

Jesbass_old

It would have to be with Rovelli, surely?

I really want to meet the captain of the Matt Jobson Fan Club. That'd be hilarious.

Warrioraholic_old

The first time I saw Aidan Kirk in a warriors jersey, I thought this must be a joke, he looks like the singer from stereogram and hes gonna get smashed. I didnt want to look, imagine what an angry Hame would do to someone like that. But now!!! I love this guy, who said size matters? dont give the ball to our big slow useless forwards, giv e it to this guy, he is electric and never gives in. Would like to see him do well.

Feka and Tookey before the had cult followings, then Manu.........well still Manu :)

raypower_old

Todd's Rodd gets the Nodd!

Todd's Bodd looks quite Odd!

Todd's Rodd's back in the Squad!

I remember in 06 when we got destroyed by the broncos in the last round I asked Todd if he could sign my auto book with "Todd is back in the squad" He looked at me and said "You're the Todd is God guy from last year aren't you?" then he signed it and walked direct into the secret pleasure chamber of my heart to be stored with memories like the 02 Semi and our 01 draw against Melb.

Ah the memories... @ M4M - You always knew I would come out of the Todd closet. Must've been a busy night at the old studios last night eh?

As far as other Guilty Pleasures go, I always had a thing for Chris Leikvol. What a head!

My current man crush from another team is Steve Simpson. So fierce! *Swoon*

My Warriors Man Crush apart from Price (he puts the man into mandatory) is probably Hendo, he's as wily as a fox and twice as cunning and he makes a great blood sausage.

AmieJ_old

From the Warriors... Its gotta be Steve Price, or Witt, or Hohia (only cuz they're the good looking ones)

Othawise, I really wanna see Greg Inglis go far, he is from my home town so yer, just like to see him take his career to many heights. :)

raypower_old

I just sprayed coffee on my monitor Blain. Hahahaha.

We used to yell Temata tries harder and No one's smarter than Karl Temata.

He had the most perculiar odour as well. Like sweaty moth balls.

blain91_old

nice.

it was because when i first started getting into the warriors (2004) he had mean dreeds and made a few big shots. lol

JonB_old

I always loved Villa, he would put on massive hits all thew time.....
Then in 05 he was on a dry spell and I was just waiting for it to end with a monster hit.... and I am still waiting.

Secretly I am Lauaki's biggest fan, he is just waiting to bust out and have a game that is special.

raypower_old

I always loved Villa, he would put on massive hits all thew time.....
Then in 05 he was on a dry spell and I was just waiting for it to end with a monster hit.... and I am still waiting.

Secretly I am Lauaki's biggest fan, he is just waiting to bust out and have a game that is special.

Didn't he have "that special game" last year against the Roosters?