General Greg Bird charged

attila_the_gorilla

https://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/greg-bird-charged-with-attack/2008/08/25/1219516278505.html

He`s saying he wasn`t even at home when the incident happened, so I guess we need to wait for the girl to make a statement.

birdsbirdwh3.th.jpg

Northern_Union

This guy is a thug. Both on and off the paddock. If the charges are proven then i wonder if the Sharks and the NRL will deregister him for life as they did with Tevita Latu?

Skinny_Ravs82

They should, if he's found charged, and if he gets off and does it again it would be a slap in the face to the club and shows he is never accountable fo rhis actions.

Kid-Dynamite_old

Innocent until proven guilty is a saying I beleive in.

But this statement from Greg Bird gives me the feeling that something definitley went on:

Greg Bird said:
"Nah mate, nothing going on at all," he told the Herald. "I haven't been at home all day. Enjoy your Sunday ... "

It doesn't sound like the kinda thing someone would say, if nothing had happened!

Iafeta_old

I said earlier in the season after the Sharks were something like 4-0 that I would be prepared to write them off. Why? Because Greg Bird and Paul Gallen are disasters waiting to happen. Constantly getting away with niggle, then acting like white angels pleading innocence when they're caught. Both those players should be sealing a premiership they're that good for Cronulla with Kimmorley guding him the way he does but frankly because of their attitudes Cronulla won't break their duck with either Gallen or Bird in their club.

Viking_old

Another black eye for Rugby League, no pun intended.

There's no problems with him getting treated better than Latu was, he can't play for the Sharks while he's in jail.

PB_old

Innocent until proven guilty, etc, but I'm pretty sure that Tevita was given the arse and de-registered before he was even charged. Bird should be gone already, but Tevita fessed up early, as opposed to Bird, who is probably lying his arse off, is an Aussie international... and white.

Northern_Union

Both Bird and Gallen are nothing but cats. Who was the Sharks player that Bird punched at the start of the season?

Northern_Union

I said at the time Latu got the short end of the stick. Many on here bagged me for defending Latu and i still now say he got shafted because he was a Kiwi.

PB_old

I said at the time Latu got the short end of the stick. Many on here bagged me for defending Latu and i still now say he got shafted because he was a Kiwi.

I think he got shafted because of many factors, timing mainly, because of the NRL trying to get women back into the game, but that he's a Polynesian from NZ was certainly a factor.

Defending Latu and saying it was overdone are two different things, though. I don't recall you defending him as such, merely pointing out that the reaction was OTT. That your take? You did get jumped on a bit.

Iafeta_old

Innocent until proven guilty, etc, but I'm pretty sure that Tevita was given the arse and de-registered before he was even charged. Bird should be gone already, but Tevita fessed up early, as opposed to Bird, who is probably lying his arse off, is an Aussie international... and white.

I concur. That said, what Tevita did was mindless. Such a wasted talent, before he got the dreaded TB he was becoming a real dynamite out of dummy half.

Gallen and Bird are cats. I'm not surprised to hear of this allegation. If it's proven to be true in the courts, I'd go as far as to say I couldn't imagine how he could be such a meathead on the field and not one off it. It's a dog who knees a bloke to the head, but frankly Bird's career is littered with these grubby acts. Facials, elbows to the head, he's just an out and out cat.

Northern_Union

I think he got shafted because of many factors, timing mainly, because of the NRL trying to get women back into the game, but that he's a Polynesian from NZ was certainly a factor.

Defending Latu and saying it was overdone are two different things, though. I don't recall you defending him as such, merely pointing out that the reaction was OTT. That your take? You did get jumped on a bit.

Yeah i got jumped on but that didn't worry me. I think if we can find those threads we'll find that i was pretty staunch in my defence of him.

Iafeta_old

Don't know what he's like as a bloke PB, so I shouldn't cast judgment on Gallen, but on field he's a complete and utter parasite with amazing ability if he applied himself.

Bird is history, if he's guilty he's a low down piece of trash and deserves no recognition just pure and utter contempt.

I can't imagine why a person would do what he's alleged to have done. It just to me smacks out as being...wrong. Utterly wrong.

PB_old

https://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24237610-23214,00.html

Court hears Bird lied about attack
By staff writers with AAP
August 25, 2008
A SYDNEY court has heard Cronulla star Greg Bird blamed his flatmate for an alleged serious assault on his girlfriend.

Bird has been charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on Katie Milligan, 24, who suffered a fractured eye socket when she was allegedly hit in the face with a glass on Sunday morning.

The defence will strongly contest the case.

According to facts tendered in court, Bird took Milligan to hospital with serious eye injuries.

There they told police Bird's flatmate, Greg Watson, was responsible for the attack.

But police say witnesses have confirmed Mr Watson was playing golf at the time.

Mr Watson told police Bird called him saying: "Something’s happened to Katie, there's blood everywhere in the unit, we've told police it was you."

It's alleged he then asked: "How do you feel about that?"

In court today, Acting Sergeant Matt Zalunardo told the court Bird lied to police by alleging other people were in the apartment at the time of the incident, about 7.30am (AEST) on Sunday.

"The accused person... is actively trying to deceive police by inferring other people were involved in the matter," Sergeant Zalunardo said.

Police allege that as the pair left the apartment block, Bird told Ms Milligan to "stop being a f***ing idiot", and denied attacking her.

Bird's lawyer Les Nicholls challenged the police facts, saying their informant was not in court and the alleged victim had yet to give a statement.

Bird has been stood down indefinitely by the Sharks pending further investigation.

Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia said it was highly unlikely Bird would play again this season with the international pivot due in court on October 8.

Zappia delivered the following statement at a press conference held today at Sharkies Leagues Club.

"On behalf of the Sharks and after consultation with our chairman Barry Pierce, members of the board and coaching staff, considering the allegations being made concerning an incident said to involve Greg Bird, we will be standing Greg down for an indefinite period of time," the statement read.

"So as to not pre-empt the legal process, I won’t be discussing any details of the incident nor matters which now have been referred to a court hearing.

"Also, the club does not want to pre-judge Greg until we have had an opportunity to meet with him, his management company and his legal counsel face to face, however we are mindful that the allegations made by police prosecution at this point in time are extremely serious."

The NRL today supported the actions of the club.

"These are very serious allegations against the player," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

"At this stage the best solution for all parties is that the legal process is allowed to unfold with Greg off the field.

"We acknowledge that the club is taking the matter extremely seriously."

-------------------------
Mr Watson told police Bird called him saying: "Something’s happened to Katie, there's blood everywhere in the unit, we've told police it was you."

It's alleged he then asked: "How do you feel about that?"

What an utter cock.

BigD_old

Apparently, Bird tried to Pin the assult on his mate. Who was out playing Golf at the time. (Who needs mates like Bird),

Birds girlfreind (now probably Ex), may lose the sight in her eye...

If Bird gets found guilty, he will probably do time. As he pleaded innocent to the charge

He will then probably head to the UK to play super league and get paid more than at Cronulla...