General Your 2024 lineup

Hope SJ has the same impact this year. Interesting in here he sets up 3 Pompey tries to 1 from Berry but so many assists for multiple players.
What i love in particular with that montage is the amount of multiple runners/options Shaun has to hit when he takes it to the line. Love the movement where he skips across and has both Berry and a second rower hitting an inside shoulder line hard, and at the same time Charnze is sweeping around the back for another option.....SJ then just picks the right option based on how the defence has reacted.......its such great shape and its so effective because yes to a point its structured but its still just playing whats in front of them which is why its so hard to defend........ and im glad theres no such thing as decoy runners anymore as everyone is a possible live target.

Credit has to go with Webby here as i remember pre season he alluded to "the key with Shaun is the movement he has off the ball around him". And weve seen in the past where we've soley relied upon the "just throw it to Shaun and hope he can pull something out of his arse" theory.

As for SJ himself its good to see the old dog still has enough in the tank to stand up or hold defence lines.....more subtle these days but after hes taken the ball to the line he still skips to the outside.....its only 1 or 2 steps but its still enough to get on the outside of his man and gets the edge defence to plant giving his outsides that smidgen more room to play with (which as we saw with someone like DWZ is all he needs), and this is why he didnt just lead the comp for try assists but also try involvements and linebreak involvements.
Plus with the ingrained Touch skills his periphials are just as good as ever being able to sum up at a glance how the defence has reacted and which runner he needs to hit (just another reason start your kids off in Touch peeps for the skills and vision they'll pick up early which will give them an edge when they take up the other codes)

Last edited:
Last year I was sceptical of Webster with some of his statements as we have heard a lot of it before. He delivered so anything he says this year I'll put down to confidence on what they achieved, what he is seeing on the training field and overall another year with the squad.

Even early on with the trials it looked like something was brewing. More so the Tigers trial with the amount of young guys that looked to know their roles on the field. The Storm trial they fought well but it still looked like we'd get some big mistakes at crucial times. The season started and that all turned around.

Even Webster having the side concentrate on defence the attack still looked more fluent compared to previous coaches that said they were doing the same thing. Brown's teams early on looked like an under 17s team. We will make our way up field and barge over.

The numbers around the ball he talks about for Johnson we need on the left as well. We looked like we weren't set to Johnson just being on the right all game. I'd like more plays with him turning up on the left. That would be something the opposition wouldn't be scouting too much.

It's what kept me supporting the club over the last 10 years....
It's funny hey, how we all have our own motivations for supporting this club.
Mine are historic and a life time habit instilled by family influences.

I was born into the Religion.

For me, the Warriors were just a flash new name for my old club...the mighty Auckland rugby league team, one of the strongest Rugby League sides in the world.
When the Warriors came along, to me they were just Auckland, with ring ins, turned full time professionals with the holy grail that is entry into the Australian rugby league comp.

So I was in effect stuck with the Warriors, love it or lump it.

So after they completely destroyed the reputation that the Auckland side built over 100 years, my focus changed from winning the comp, to taking back our Mana.

Like an addict I do tell myself that if satisfaction relies on a premiership...then the cold truth is....the Warriors may never win the NRL therefore I may be sentencing myself to a life of chasing the dragon...... never to be satisfied.

Ergo I live in the moment, every win is pay off enough for my investment and top four title or no trophy is living the dream.

It's funny hey, how we all have our own motivations for supporting this club.
Mine are historic and a life time habit instilled by family influences

See these are sensible reasons to follow this club.

Personally, I'm a big fan of chaotic and dramatic story arcs. This club has fitted the bill on the chaotic front for a while now.

But think of the chaos that will ensue if they ever do win a premiership.... That's the sorta stuff I love to see.

See these are sensible reasons to follow this club.

Personally, I'm a big fan of chaotic and dramatic story arcs. This club has fitted the bill on the chaotic front for a while now.

But think of the chaos that will ensue if they ever do win a premiership.... That's the sorta stuff I love to see.
I became less interested last year when we started winning regularly by 6-8 points each game.
It was wearing on my nerves and not satisfying when we won because I was expecting to win.
This year I hope we can win games that "we should win" by 10-12 points rather than 6-8 and have me less stressed during the 80 minutes.
Sometimes I wasn't enjoying the game. I was just watching them to see them win by any margin.
I would also like us to blow out the Storm on Anzac day by 40 points as revenge for what they did to us on the 70 point loss.
That 70 point loss has scarred the club and many of us still wince at the memories of that game. We must take vengeance.

Regarding Jackson Ford keeping his starting spot so that we can turn Niukore into a middle; (is that a semi colon here or a colon?) he will be 25 next season and entering his prime years as an NRL player. 2023 was his first year playing more than 15 games so he was relatively inexperienced going into the 2023 season. Let's hope he kicks on. Particularly with his discipline which caused the Warriors all sorts of problems last year (we can say last year now that it is Jan 2) when he would give away needless momentum changing penalties.

God Speed Jackson

Regarding Jackson Ford keeping his starting spot so that we can turn Niukore into a middle; (is that a semi colon here or a colon?) he will be 25 next season and entering his prime years as an NRL player. 2023 was his first year playing more than 15 games so he was relatively inexperienced going into the 2023 season. Let's hope he kicks on. Particularly with his discipline which caused the Warriors all sorts of problems last year (we can say last year now that it is Jan 2) when he would give away needless momentum changing penalties.

God Speed Jackson
Tbf he did tidy that up- lead the ruck infringement stat for most of the season but ended well down the list.
You make a good point though- I forgot how young he is- he can only get better.

I became less interested last year when we started winning regularly by 6-8 points each game.
It was wearing on my nerves and not satisfying when we won because I was expecting to win.
This year I hope we can win games that "we should win" by 10-12 points rather than 6-8 and have me less stressed during the 80 minutes.
Sometimes I wasn't enjoying the game. I was just watching them to see them win by any margin.
I would also like us to blow out the Storm on Anzac day by 40 points as revenge for what they did to us on the 70 point loss.
That 70 point loss has scarred the club and many of us still wince at the memories of that game. We must take vengeance.
Getting bored of winning is a nice problem to have after the previous 10 years.

We had a few wins where it was barely in doubt once we got going which was good. It helped the for and against and overall they aren't as stressful to watch. It has also been a long time since we put sides away ruthlessly. Even a lot of the good wins the last 10 years we'd get off to a good start maybe 16-0 up. The opposition comes back and we need to get the lead again or score again to extend the slim lead.

I'm fine with the tight wins as the side was winning ugly which is a criticism often pointed at them. Any juniors being promoted know you need to stay switched on for the full 80.

We were also running over the top of sides in the second half which is another good sign.

A big score against the Storm to avenge some of the ANZAC Day games would be nice. This season we won't be playing them on ANZAC Day so a big game to stop them making the 8, affect their position in the 8 or knock them out of the competition would be the best we can hope for in 2024.

On the Jackson Ford discussion. He started the season well but started to fall away a bit. That could have been due to the grind of the season, getting worked out etc. The posters saying he could do with a rest were probably right.

The coaching staff have a full pre season now to work on issues with his game. At the moment with the way things are going with the club I'll lean towards the positive and say like a lot of the squad he's likely primed for a big season.

We had a few wins where it was barely in doubt once we got going which was good. It helped the for and against and overall they aren't as stressful to watch. It has also been a long time since we put sides away ruthlessly. Even a lot of the good wins the last 10 years we'd get off to a good start maybe 16-0 up. The opposition comes back and we need to get the lead again or score again to extend the slim lead.

I'm fine with the tight wins as the side was winning ugly which is a criticism often pointed at them. Any juniors being promoted know you need to stay switched on for the full 80.

We were also running over the top of sides in the second half which is another good sign.

A big score against the Storm to avenge some of the ANZAC Day games would be nice. This season we won't be playing them on ANZAC Day so a big game to stop them making the 8, affect their position in the 8 or knock them out of the competition would be the best we can hope for in 2024.
Oh really???

Who do we have on ANZAC day then?

I am usually quite good at coming up with observations but have run dry. Feel we as a team have discussed everything until some more developments happen
eg we acquire another player with our volkman cash.

Pre-season games are pretty soon
Sun 18 Feb Warriors vs Wests Tigers
Sat 24 Feb Warriors vs Dolphins

I want us to either to blow out the other team or lose comfortably. Can't stand the close matches. My nerves get shot. I am not the sort that chews my nails but you get the picture. It isn't pleasant. I get too intense and feel I am on the field myself some days if that makes sense.
It's just awful to watch
Examples

a) Pompey kicks off to start the game....please don't kick it out on the full Pompey. Please. Anything but that. Pompey then proceeds to kick it two metres from the sideline instead of a nice safe kick in the middle of the field. My nerves are on edge watching it sail close to the side line. And feel relieved when they catch it and run.
b) We score a try. Then the stress of watching us field the kick off and praying we complete the set after points often to be dissapointed. And then we let the opposition back into the game.
c) Dallin hits the ball up and when returning a kick and just before being tackled does some crazy ass off load. Please catch it Pompey please?
d) Don't even get me started about how I feel in the last ten minutes of the game.

I used to enjoy the close matches and the intensity now I just want slam dunk victories by 20 points.

Back