Social A Weighty Issue

We changed our doctor after she wondered why my blood pressure was so high…. the fact she’d just done a prostate examination may have had something to do with that. The new doctor only insists on
PSA blood tests instead.
Which doctor was this? Asking for a friend

Over the weekend, I hit halfway to my goal weight (24kg gone from 48kg goal since the beginning of August). Even that will put my just into the “unhealthy “ BMI of 26.2. But, considering I started @ 40.7, I’m not too concerned about it… just want to fit back into the jeans I brought in Dallas.
Great work.

More than likely no one in hear would be affected in the flaws of the BMI measurement. I wouldn't be to obsessed with being outside the range. The more important one is you waist to height ratio this is what should be becoming more common.

Or using the two measurements together.

When you are carrying a lot of weight around the waist you are likely carrying a lot of visceral fat which is harder to determine but is typically fat around the organs like the liver. I had surgery before covid hit and it was a bit of a wake-up call when the surgeon mentioned it. I have had a few doctors mention it. One said it was a common and not to worry too much and another who seemed more concerned.

Again great work. 24kg is a fair amount of wait. I hope you are noticing the difference in energy levels, and overall health.

Everyone’s focused on the weight but can anyone share if blood pressure, heart rate, blood sugar levels, etc have changed.
It would be a bit strange for these not to improve if you lose a significant amount of weight.

A lot of people who push low-carb diets obsess with insulin or blood sugar levels. The main factor in fixing this is the loss of weight. The low-carb diet isn't a miracle they claim you get the same results with any other diet as long as you lose weight.

I let it slide with Bruce and his no-eating fruit. My father in his mid-80s is diabetic (type-2). He has lost a ton of weight. Two factors people say why you shouldn't eat fruit (to old to lose weight, diabeties) His breakfast every day is typically a huge bowl of cornflakes covered with sliced bananas or peaches. His sugar levels are well in the range the main reason is the huge amount of wait loss. It was getting to the point we were getting worried about him.

Now to inject some humour into this. He used to have mints in the car to have while driving. He got diagnosed just after my sister brought him a massive packet that would have likely lasted a year. Good on him as he went cold turkey on those and they were still sitting in the cupboard years later. He also had several gallstones which would cause him pain. That would often help him stop eating and probably helped with the weight loss.

On heart rate and blood pressure losing weight would mean the heart is not working overtime due to the bigger frame the person is carrying. Blood pressure should come down as well with the improvement in overall health.

Wrighty Wrighty

My latest update. On the scales this morning (I weigh myself first thing in the morning so its comparing to the same thing each day) weighed in at 100.4kg so down form 105.3kg at beginning of December

my favourite shorts are loose and starting to hang off me so the waist line is definitely shrinking. Can certainly see changes in my body - mainly my stomach is reducing.

Sticking fairly strongly to meals and portion sizes. not feeling hungry and seem to have more energy.

Got the all clear yesterday to start light exercise so I am looking at that from tomorrow onwards. Be interesting if that increases my appetite or not.

will update again next week, same time
Good work.

I was in a similar situation years ago. Wearing shorts that would typically be the lowest waist side I'd be or lucky to have been the previous 10 years. Found with my wallet and phone etc in my pockets they would fall down so ended up having to buying the next inch down. Got the same problem so went down again. Putting on weight and getting new clothes can be expensive I was getting worried I'd have the same problem the other direction.

I'm currently wearing shorts of the 3 varying sizes depending on the brand. The main ones I like I have all 3 sizes but am on the middle and highest. So a bit of work to do if I want to change my draw around to bring the others up to the top.

I have a similar issue 20 years ago where I was getting extremely lean and had the belt on the lowest notch and I was still walking around work holding my pants or they would fall down. The ironic thing then is I was trying to get bigger but due to my diet and little habits like always taking the stairs meant I was getting lean. I put on weight and some muscle but not as much as would have if I ate more. Looking back it's a shame I didn't take pictures.

It is great that your stomach is visibly down. That is typically the most noticeable but can often seem like the last as it often needs the most. The best description I have heard is think of a paper towel roll. The stubborn bits are often towards the end of the roll.

Good work on the portion sizes.

I would be a bit careful weighing yourself every day. This comes down to an individual thing but it can be disheartening when it stops or if it reverses as you had a day of different eating or activity. A weight loss channel I watch his advice is to not weigh yourself every day but maybe a predetermined every x days or week at the same time. This was due to his obsession with seeing the number. It got to the point his wife had to hide the scales. She is also a weight loss coach so knew that it was becoming an issue as he could either go too far or decide to give up. Again to me it is an individual thing but just be aware that at some point you weight loss will slow down or plateau. At that point, you might want to review stepping on the scales everyday.

Good work.

I was in a similar situation years ago. Wearing shorts that would typically be the lowest waist side I'd be or lucky to have been the previous 10 years. Found with my wallet and phone etc in my pockets they would fall down so ended up having to buying the next inch down. Got the same problem so went down again. Putting on weight and getting new clothes can be expensive I was getting worried I'd have the same problem the other direction.

I'm currently wearing shorts of the 3 varying sizes depending on the brand. The main ones I like I have all 3 sizes but am on the middle and highest. So a bit of work to do if I want to change my draw around to bring the others up to the top.

I have a similar issue 20 years ago where I was getting extremely lean and had the belt on the lowest notch and I was still walking around work holding my pants or they would fall down. The ironic thing then is I was trying to get bigger but due to my diet and little habits like always taking the stairs meant I was getting lean. I put on weight and some muscle but not as much as would have if I ate more. Looking back it's a shame I didn't take pictures.

It is great that your stomach is visibly down. That is typically the most noticeable but can often seem like the last as it often needs the most. The best description I have heard is think of a paper towel roll. The stubborn bits are often towards the end of the roll.

Good work on the portion sizes.

I would be a bit careful weighing yourself every day. This comes down to an individual thing but it can be disheartening when it stops or if it reverses as you had a day of different eating or activity. A weight loss channel I watch his advice is to not weigh yourself every day but maybe a predetermined every x days or week at the same time. This was due to his obsession with seeing the number. It got to the point his wife had to hide the scales. She is also a weight loss coach so knew that it was becoming an issue as he could either go too far or decide to give up. Again to me it is an individual thing but just be aware that at some point you weight loss will slow down or plateau. At that point, you might want to review stepping on the scales everyday.
Thanks mate. Yeah I kind of agree with the daily weighing advice. In my case I am using it as a bit of motivation too though. I realise that the weight can fluctuate from day to day depending on a number of factors which I am aware of. But I do like seeing the number where it is now and use it as a reminder of where I have gotten to and why I am doing this.

As for the stomach, there is still a bit to go but it is noticeable that it has decreased.

Its good having Wrighty Wrighty there to keep you honest as well. No way is he going to catch me!

My blood pressure has dropped to 130's 90's down from 160's 100's.

Not sure about the rest...

I have a doctor's appointment at beginning of Feb for a check up

Also had no alcohol since March.
Holy shit

160’s 100’s down to 130’s? that’s a huge improvement!! Well done

I monitor my BP more closely that the weight scale. They both go hand in hand ie cause and effect, but you can lose weight and have high BP.

I think BP is a far more indicative measure of your heath

This could probably go in one of the pre-season threads but it does align with weight and weight loss.

Yes body shaming is bad but we also need to address people that are under weight or overweight. A few years ago models were extremely thin. There was a video for America's Next Top Model from 2003 where Tyra Banks called out a contestant for not being thin enough. Day to day standards her weight was normal. Compared to where we are now in 2024 where the last few years they have had Obese woman on the cat walk on fashion magazines saying they are fit and healthy. This is dangerous.

The term body shaming or the variations have been taken over by the fat acceptance community who hide behind health at every size but push unhealthy messages to make themselves feel better.

We had a Fat Acceptance Activist die in this country a year or so back. Her death got a lot of coverage but her cause of death was never revealed. Most likely as it would contradict her work (she lectured at University on fat studies). In the last year 8 Fat Acceptance activists have died.

The players weights are an indication from when they were taken at the start of the season. They change during the season as the players get more game time.

Even if they weren't published. Fans or journalists will comment on certain players or teams they are not fit enough or they need to lose weight.

Lets flip it from body shaming. As someone who trains I like to compare my weight vs athletes from various sports. For MMA or boxing you can look at the weight classes you may have gone down to. For those on here on a weight loss journey how good would it feel for you to get down to your goal weight and be able to compare yourself to someone paid to maintain their body for athletic performance.

Are people using apps to track their progress? I have found Lose It and myfitnesspal quite useful in the past.

We had a Fat Acceptance Activist die in this country a year or so back. Her death got a lot of coverage but her cause of death was never revealed. Most likely as it would contradict her work (she lectured at University on fat studies). In the last year 8 Fat Acceptance activists have died.
Wait, fat studies? I might be a candidate for that, just give me the degree now.

Are people using apps to track their progress? I have found Lose It and myfitnesspal quite useful in the past.
I don't use any apps to track my weight or calories. It is something I've been thinking about. I was wanting it more when I was down in weight and hitting a plateau. Even though I'm in a good place and quite fit I'm starting to think it would be a good idea to keep me on track and disciplined.

Ideally for me something I log food against so I can be held accountable. I have a sweet tooth which is my main cause of falling off the wagon. To me it would work the same way as when I was younger and used to record anything I spent money on to hold myself accountable.

The only app I use is for my cycling to record my rides so I'm not just going on the watch for time. I record all of my exercise so when I used to go away I would write down the days I went for a ride or did any exercise. No I can open the app which has the history. It also has the bonus of recording the time, distance, estimated calories, route and I can record my mood etc.

Just found recently it has a topographical recording of the rides which is cool.

Wait, fat studies? I might be a candidate for that, just give me the degree now.
From my understanding it was the usual your weight isn't tied to your health. Or living with a higher weight and getting around issues like at the airports etc.

She had one good point during covid about the needle sizes and the injections not getting through your skin if you are obese. So you should talk to the vaccinator about changing the needle.

On the Te Whare having to do extra training. It isn't uncommon for guys to come back and having to do extra work as they have enjoyed themselves too much over the break.

He would have been someone they would have wanted to work on during the off season anyway. He has a unique body for the position he plays but it is obvious they would want to get him conditioned for first grade similar to other guys they need to put weight on.

He has a cool story going over there and taking up league quite late. I hope he trains his ass off and we have another option for the Kiwis. Just have shit games against the Warriors.

Never really battled weight problem, if anything I’ve been lean (until my 40’s) but I’m a restless fidgeter.

I read somewhere you consume 10x the calories of sitting if you fidget, particularly restless legs.

Don’t know that it adds anything but fidget away guys.

Never really battled weight problem, if anything I’ve been lean (until my 40’s) but I’m a restless fidgeter.

I read somewhere you consume 10x the calories of sitting if you fidget, particularly restless legs.

Don’t know that it adds anything but fidget away guys.
I drive the wife nuts doing that, how do you navigate that marital minefield

I don't use an app for any of that. Looked at using a smart watch or Fitbit at one point but haven't been able to do anything really for the last 7 or 8 months.

I have been investigating a plan for low impact calisthenics or yoga I can do at home. Keep getting ads for apps and plans popping up wanting me to subscribe to them.

Think I'll just try YouTube.

Last edited:
It’s weird how the different sexes treat people losing weight. Both men and women seem really supportive when a guy loses weight and encourage them while men will do the same to women losing weight but some women just don’t like it if a woman is losing too much.

Shayleen worked really hard around ten years ago to lose a lot of weight…. then she was diagnosed with cancer. The effects of the surgery, chemo and other treatments has meant most of that weight has returned…. and then she was told that because her lymphatic system was effected, she would never lose the weight again. That led to her having suicidal thoughts and needing counseling.

Now, she’s working really had and is around 60% towards her goal weight….. and the comments from other women (including some “close friends”) and the way they treat her is downright nasty. To her, losing the weight is her final sign that she has beaten the cancer.

We think it maybe to do with their egos…. it’s okay to have a “fat friend” but when that friend is then skinnier than them, they don’t like it. They don‘t understand that she needs to lose the weight to feel she’s finally finished with the cancer.

Back