General Warriors Themed Pub

I won’t bother with puns but rather than focusing on current players, the memorabilia and menu should be about past players and legends of the club.

Is this the chance for some statues? What about integrating a museum or a hall of fame type place into it?
Better have security too. Fuckers might steal shit like they did with Butcher

I won’t bother with puns but rather than focusing on current players, the memorabilia and menu should be about past players and legends of the club.

Is this the chance for some statues? What about integrating a museum or a hall of fame type place into it?
Think everyone agrees with that (although a few tongue-in -cheek ones could be a goer 😀 ) we jus having a bit of fun during the countdown...
WARNING!! Don't anyone go to the politics page if you haven't got a senseee of humour 🤐🥸

Think everyone agrees with that (although a few tongue-in -cheek ones could be a goer 😀 ) we jus having a bit of fun during the countdown...
WARNING!! Don't anyone go to the politics page if you haven't got a senseee of humour 🤐🥸
I was wondering if they could get a bus or something to travel around the country areas with memorabilia and Wahs gear with an ex player/similar to take the game to the outliers.
Australia do it well

The Crusaders pre the earthquakes had a bar they owned in Christchurch that was the go to venue. It had three layers, a giant screen, massive dance floor and went off all year round. Also the players would regularly be there after games.

Was called the Holy Grail, which the crusaders called winning the final claiming their Holy Grail. This idea is absolutely brilliant and not the only parallel I see with this Warriors team and the Crusaders in their early days.

I was lucky enough to know a couple of players from the early days and play against many more in club rugby in Christchurch. So got to hear some inside stories that gave a lot of insight into their dynasty

That article has some interesting things in it on how the club is branching out with the house for the Juniors and the industrial building. The club not having the traditional Leagues Club and poker machine income like the traditional Sydney clubs would mean business wise they have been pretty much been reliant on the football side. Sure merchandise has been good but having other income streams would help keep the club in a good financial position.

This bar sounds promising. Where ever they decide on in terms of location I'd say the first one will be successful initially as people will travel to check it out. Long term as the clubs fortunes fluctuate will be the challenge. Having them throughout Auckland and then branching out across the country would be cool.

A place for people to gather before games or to watch the games with a crowd if they can't make it.

Behind the Warriors’ plan to open themed NRL pub in Auckland​

The Warriors want to establish their own themed pub in Auckland – and are well-advanced on plans to find the ideal location.

The club see significant potential in the hospitality venue, which would leverage off the strength of its brand in the marketplace, which has reached new levels after the historic 2023 season.

The Herald can also reveal that the NRL franchise has plans to partner with several pubs around the country – on a licensed basis – to extend the Warriors’ commercial footprint in each region.

The initiatives have come as part of moves to diversify their business model and expand the horizons of the club.

“We have a very powerful brand and it’s one that people like to engage in,” Warriors’ chief executive Cameron George told the Herald. “I feel we could fit quite well into the hospitality space with our brand and our unique offering, with fans and members and the general public.”

“Most importantly, we are looking to diversify our business - not just being reliant on the NRL for funding and the like. One of the things we learnt through Covid was how reliant we were on memberships and sponsorships and the NRL so we are trying to be smarter and look differently at how we can generate revenue.”

It’s understood the club has been assessing the business case for a themed Auckland pub for the last 12 months and are ready to go ahead. George said they could either take over an existing venue or form a joint venture – “if there is someone out there that sees this as an opportunity to partner with us.”

They have engaged industry experts to source alternatives.

“We want a pub with high traffic flow,” said George. “We don’t just want to turn the lights on game days or for away games, we want it to be a very successful business 24/7.”

The club has a “very open mind” about the potential location.

“It could be in the city, it could be on the edges of the city or could be out here in Penrose,” said George. “We believe what we can bring to a hotel is something that will make it a destination hotel, not just a convenience one. We are not rushing, it’s about getting the right establishment.”

George didn’t go into details but there is obvious potential as a game day gathering point, especially for away matches, along with hosted member nights and ambassador and player events, even down to the minutiae of branded food items, whether it was a Shaun Johnson Burger, a Roger Tuivasa-Sheck wrap or an Andrew Webster salad.

Branded or themed establishments are common across the American sporting landscape, while Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal are among English Premier League clubs that have official pubs and restaurants, though they are mostly located within stadium complexes.

The NRL model is different, with almost all Australian teams running licensed venues in conjunction with their leagues clubs, who in turn rely heavily on poker machine revenue, though that system isn’t feasible under current New Zealand legislation.

As well as an Auckland-themed pub, the Warriors are also investigating the idea of partnerships with several pubs around the country.

“We are looking to find a pub in each region to create that partnership,” said George. “We would like to roll out a bit of a model around New Zealand, whereby we can partner with a pub in a particular region and be an exclusive partner to that region and in doing so bring a lot of content and benefits to that town of choice through this partnership. We can bring exclusive stuff, ambassador nights, sportsman’s nights, quiz nights, memorabilia, players and things to do with the local community.”

George said the pubs would pay a licence fee, while the club would deliver various KPI’s and outcomes.

The club have also recently branched out into real estate, purchasing a property in Blockhouse Bay. It contains an eight-bedroom house – used to accommodate some of the club’s aspiring junior players from around the country – while the large section also has development potential.

The Warriors have also invested in an industrial building next to Mt Smart Stadium, with George saying it could be rented out or used by the club for a “number of options”.

“It’s an ongoing process for us,” said George. “What we have generated through a good year and a half, we trying to invest wisely and think separately to football.”

Name the pub/diner

Up the Wahs

I’m in.

That article has some interesting things in it on how the club is branching out with the house for the Juniors and the industrial building. The club not having the traditional Leagues Club and poker machine income like the traditional Sydney clubs would mean business wise they have been pretty much been reliant on the football side. Sure merchandise has been good but having other income streams would help keep the club in a good financial position.

This bar sounds promising. Where ever they decide on in terms of location I'd say the first one will be successful initially as people will travel to check it out. Long term as the clubs fortunes fluctuate will be the challenge. Having them throughout Auckland and then branching out across the country would be cool.

A place for people to gather before games or to watch the games with a crowd if they can't make it.
Makes sense to partner with the Trident in Onehunga, or even Arthur's Bar.

I was lucky enough to know a couple of players from the early days and play against many more in club rugby in Christchurch. So got to hear some inside stories that gave a lot of insight into their dynasty
What were the inside secrets of their dynasty, how did they do it?

I was wondering if they could get a bus or something to travel around the country areas with memorabilia and Wahs gear with an ex player/similar to take the game to the outliers.
Australia do it well
I remember an NRL bus touring parts of NZ some years ago so I went and had a look. It had stuff like a pair of boots worn in the grand final, the premiership trophy etc. There were some former Warriors players there also. Can remember seeing Shontayne Hape, forgotten who else.

I remember an NRL bus touring parts of NZ some years ago so I went and had a look. It had stuff like a pair of boots worn in the grand final, the premiership trophy etc. There were some former Warriors players there also. Can remember seeing Shontayne Hape, forgotten who else.
Okay cheers. Must have missed that. They had one in Australia that toured a lot of the country towns
Would it work here do you think with the recent success of the Warriors

Okay cheers. Must have missed that. They had one in Australia that toured a lot of the country towns
Would it work here do you think with the recent success of the Warriors
I'd say it would be a hit. That NRL one was busy when I went.

Good post

Nice looking building, curb side appeal, an expectation of standards regarding behavior.

Good TV screens and projector screen.

Good food.

Good beer prices.

Ex players popping in and or signing Jersey nights.

Current players visiting on random nights to surprise fans.

Eye candy bar staff - all gender represented and sexual orientation.

Family friendly with a casual tidy dress code (Warriors gear of course standard).

Some League skills games like passing through the hole in a wall for beer prizes or dinner prizes.

Special events when the Kiwis play.

English Super league coverage and football to Allie with pom expats.

Rugby Union tests of course and State of Origin.

Mt Smart membership holders club handles and badges.

Mediator fans and security - let the Mt Smart crowd run the culture of the place and self regulate the punters who need a gentle "Take it easy bro we are all Wahs here

Good post

Nice looking building, curb side appeal, an expectation of standards regarding behavior.

Good TV screens and projector screen.

Good food.

Good beer prices.

Ex players popping in and or signing Jersey nights.

Current players visiting on random nights to surprise fans.

Eye candy bar staff - all gender represented and sexual orientation.

Family friendly with a casual tidy dress code (Warriors gear of course standard).

Some League skills games like passing through the hole in a wall for beer prizes or dinner prizes.

Special events when the Kiwis play.

English Super league coverage and football to Allie with pom expats.

Rugby Union tests of course and State of Origin.

Mt Smart membership holders club handles and badges.

Mediator fans and security - let the Mt Smart crowd run the culture of the place and self regulate the punters who need a gentle "Take it easy bro we are all Wahs here
You forgot Bruce Bruce and John Nick John Nick sitting in the corner debating if Mangere or Mt Albert had the stronger front row in ‘68.

The Strand is Parnell is really under utilised and good historic links to the game.

Location would have been perfect in the past.

Back