Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As someone who is pro Maori but believe changes have been forced through to fast, I’m drawn to putting the brakes on and moving slower. But I don’t think a National debate is the way forward. We’re not mature enough as a nation.

But I’m after your view in the future - how does NZ look after say 50 years in regards to the treaty and race relations?

Do we want to move towards more separation as NZers (Maori are a seperate race/ culture and treated differently within NZ) with different outcomes and expectations; or do we want to all be kiwis with a strong culture sitting within the country with the same outcomes and expectations?

I believe Maori want to be treated seperate but also the same outcomes. I don’t know that you can have both.
In 50 years (2 generations) we'll have a bigger proportion of mixed Maori heritage through intermarriage. Presumably anyway. Non-Maori may even be a minority of Indian, Asian and European and other Polys. How will this affect Treaty arguments?
Anyone have any projected racial demographics for future decades?

Of course in the event of a world war and the CCP or any other empire assuming governorship of the South Pacific in the next 50 yrs, any treaty with the British crown is void. Xi in particular has indicated his wish to de-colonialise former colonies, what that means for Maori who the fuck knows, we apparently hail from Taiwan originally, but I doubt it's good news for anyone else in New South China. Then again China's population is shrinking, India's absolutely exploding, who knows what geopolitics will look like in 50 years.

I'm 12% NZ Maori according to Ancestry.com, which is pretty much what I thought before I took their test, 1/8th Maori. Yes, I gave my DNA to some faceless corporation to do who knows what with, it also came back 28% "Ashenazi Jewish People's of Europe", just in time for the next progroms after what the Israelis are carrying out in Palestine. What have I done.

That's a long-winded way of answering your question, tl;dr a democratic referendum on racial issues is always going to be skewed by the racial demographic of the voters, having one this year will have a bearing on a totally different demographic in 50 yrs, so what's the point unless we're going to repeat it every generation.

Disclaimer: I have covid, day 3 of positive test. Not actually sure what I'm talking about, might go back to my death bed, up the wahs.

Last edited:
Why do people think that Maori judges are more bigoted, or lesser than other judges? The perception that they will skew the law to always favour maori is erroneous and insulting. These judges (already practicing) have gone to law school, passed the bar, gained experience and risen to a position that only judges of other ethnicities are capable or worthy of? There in a nutshell is what Maori are up against just for being Maorii?
He keeps saying Maori....

Imagine if I replaced all those words of his with Black.....

"In 2020, David Parker announced 14 new judges. 10 of which were .BLACK. Now that could be coincidence. Or it could be perceived to be political appointments. I don't have an opinion on these specifically. I just know the family of one recently-appointed BLACK judge well, and her experience of the swearing-in process was heavily, heavily focused on her BLACK background, despite it having little relevance to her past experience. She's barely even ackowledged her ethnic makeup as it has been irrelevant. My next door neighbour is a judge. I also have a close friend, whose wife is part BLACK and a partner at a law firm. "

mmmmmm..........

What's wrong with that exactly?
Absolutely nothing, so long as your definition of "social justice / equality" is exactly the same as David Parker's

David Parker tried to roll out a "fairer tax system" last year. But became unstuck when his polling suggested his definition of "fairer" wasn't the same as his party's target audience, so Hipkins cancelled the tax reform

Good luck with the covid

He keeps saying Maori....

Imagine if I replaced all those words of his with Black.....

mmmmmm..........
Well, yeah, if you replaced “Maori”, which has direct relevance to the topic of conversation (the constitution, the judiciary, and Seymour's rhetoric), and replaced it with "Black", which has no relevance to anything, then yes, my comments would have racist meaning.

By your post, you are implying a racist connotation, which suggests to other posters that it is racist, and therefore the content of my posts isn't worth reading. It is a slightly more subtle "well, he's just a racist" accusation used to shut someone down. More of a whispered "isn't he a bit racist?" in hushed tones

Clearly my explanation here on the impartiality of the judiciary is a bit lost on some, so I'll step away

let me preface this by saying I DO NOT VOTE. and i don’t disagree.

I find all politicians to be absolutely deplorable fucking cunts, they’re disingenuous, they’re liers, and they’re cheaters.
they ALL lets us down and backtrack on their shit every single fucking time, yet we all live in hope.

i hate them all equally.

that said;
what is it exactly that you find more shit stirry, offensive or divisive about David Seymour than let’s say Rawiri Waititi?

Glad you brought that up, the comparison between two idiots.

Waititi does not represent the values of all Maori (actually none that I know).

Seymour is the same.

I believe in pushing the boundary with radicalism where it is peaceful and non harmful society as a whole, neither of these men meet my criteria for where the line is, both cross it.

The truth is, that the reason both suck is that they are not very intelligent.

In 50 years (2 generations) we'll have a bigger proportion of mixed Maori heritage through intermarriage. Presumably anyway. Non-Maori may even be a minority of Indian, Asian and European. How will this affect Treaty arguments?
Anyone have any projected racial demographics for future decades?

Of course in the event of a world war and the CCP or any other empire assuming governorship of the South Pacific in the next 50 yrs, any treaty with the British crown is void. Xi in particular has indicated his wish to de-colonialise former colonies, what that means for Maori who the fuck knows, we apparently hail from Taiwan originally, but I doubt it's good news for anyone else in New South China. Then again China's population is shrinking, India's absolutely exploding, who knows what geopolitics will look like in 50 years.

I'm 12% NZ Maori according to Ancestry.com, which is pretty much what I thought before I took their test, 1/8th Maori. Yes, I gave my DNA to some faceless corporation to do who knows what with, it also came back 28% "Ashenazi Jewish People's of Europe", just in time for the next progroms after what the Israeilis are carrying out in Palestine. What have I done.

That's a long-winded way of answering your question, tl;dr a democratic referendum on racial issues is always going to be skewed by the racial demographic of the voters, having one this year will have a bearing on a totally different demographic in 50 yrs, so what's the point unless we're going to repeat it every generation.

Disclaimer: I have covid, day 3 of positive test. Not actually sure what I'm talking about, might go back to my death bed, up the wahs.

Speedy recovery to the Rona bro.

Glad you brought that up, the comparison between two idiots.

Waititi does not represent the values of all Maori (actually none that I know).

Seymour is the same.

I believe in pushing the boundary with radicalism where it is peaceful and non harmful society as a whole, neither of these men meet my criteria for where the line is, both cross it.

my thoughts exactly, but probably with a few more swear words.

It's not too bad, slept a lot, bit brain foggy. New JN.1 variant that's racing through the country apparently, highly contagious but not as severe, unless you have underlying health concerns of course.
It has just gone through our house during Christmas, six people. I had your symptoms too but with severe fatigue mental and physical for about seven days and no appetite. Everyone was a little different, younger ones less or no fatigue, just a bit tired.

I believe they are actually both very intelligent and are playing to the system. Them and Winston understand to thrive as a minor party in politics you need a bit of extremism, hyperbole and to promote divisive causes.

Vanilla and boring just doesn’t get attention.

The ‘best’ mp’s are actors playing a part and putting on a show aimed at their target market. It’s how Winston can completely flip flop on policy but still get enough core support; how Luxon is caught in 2 minds because he doesn’t believe in some of the stuff he’s pushing, MP’s promoting values and doing the opposite in their private lives, etc.

Actors doing a jobs as front men for their voter base.

The sooner we see if for how it really is, then we can debate the policy rather than get angry at the person pushing it.

I believe they are actually both very intelligent and are playing to the system. Them and Winston understand to thrive as a minor party in politics you need a bit of extremism, hyperbole and to promote divisive causes.

Vanilla and boring just doesn’t get attention.

The ‘best’ mp’s are actors playing a part and putting on a show aimed at their target market. It’s how Winston can completely flip flop on policy but still get enough core support; how Luxon is caught in 2 minds because he doesn’t believe in some of the stuff he’s pushing, MP’s promoting values and doing the opposite in their private lives, etc.

Actors doing a jobs as front men for their voter base.

The sooner we see if for how it really is, then we can debate the policy rather than get angry at the person pushing it.
Mostly.

Luxon is still a potato and Bishop is still a nonce, no acting there.

Them and Winston understand to thrive as a minor party in politics you need a bit of extremism, hyperbole and to promote divisive causes.
Ive stated my admiration for Winnie as a person. Intelligent, shrewd operator.

Question though, has any other politician held the balance of power as often as Winston has? This is at least the 3rd PM hes pretty much decided.

Ive stated my admiration for Winnie as a person. Intelligent, shrewd operator.

Question though, has any other politician held the balance of power as often as Winston has? This is at least the 3rd PM hes pretty much decided.
What's he actually done to move the country forward, apart from some wins for pensioners and being a capable foreign minister (apparently), and arguably been a steadying handbrake on some more extreme coalition partners.

This time he's got in by appealing to some right nut jobs in the Liz Gunn faction, and still appears to be doing nothing for them.

What's he actually done to move the country forward, apart from some wins for pensioners and being a capable foreign minister (apparently), and arguably been a steadying handbrake on some more extreme coalition partners.

This time he's got in by appealing to some right nut jobs in the Liz Gunn faction, and still appears to be doing nothing for them.
Don't forget saving the racing industry

Back