Social Cooking thread

I should Iki Jime my fish more often too!
Don't know if you have ever tried Ling.
Very nice chunky flaked fish.
When I was in Australia I saw Ling in the fish market very cheap and found it to be great.
Told all my friends at a Xmas bbq.
They agreed and started to purchase from the local market.
Next thing the price went up.
Don't be put off if you see it for sale

FB_IMG_1587477349439.jpg
Cooking.

Don't know if you have ever tried Ling.
Very nice chunky flaked fish.
When I was in Australia I saw Ling in the fish market very cheap and found it to be great.
Told all my friends at a Xmas bbq.
They agreed and started to purchase from the local market.
Next thing the price went up.
Don't be put off if you see it for sale

You are the second person to say they tried Ling and were pleasantly surprised, spose it looks like a Hoki only red.

Will put it on the list.

I cook curries and casseroles and freeze extra portions (I use the Sistema bakery split containers so the liquid in the meal doesn't soak into the rice/potato).
Tips:
1. When making a curry, don't take it to As Hot As I Can Stand Without Dying when you're cooking it. When you freeze the extra portions and then the following week get out a portion to have for dinner, whether you defrost it naturally or in the microwave and then cook it, the Liquid/Spice ratio goes down in favour of the Spice. So it's hotter.
2. If using a simmer sauce as I do, always add a fair bit more vegetables and fluid ie water and/or wine then recommended because, as I said about the Liquid/Spice ratio, the Liquid goes down/soaks into the rice/potato/whatever if you do it that why, eventually drying out the meal. Makes things last longer, too.
3. Meat eaters: Don't get sucked into buying pre-diced meat. That's usually one of the tougher cuts. Watch the fat content of whatever you're buying. Buying 500g lamb is one thing, but when more than 10% of that of it is pure fat you have to cut off... Be aware that the evil corporate supermarket bastard butchery twat may have hidden the fat by placing the meat in the try fatless side up!
4. Simmer sauces in order of quality IMO - bottles, cans, liquid sachets, powder sachets.
5. Last but not least. Cooking rice: For One cup of rice add one and a half cups of boiled water. Add some olive oil. Put all that into a pot and bring it to a boil. As soon as the pot boils, turn off the element and set a timer for 7 minutes. Don't freak out if little holes appear in the rice. Don't touch it. The water dissolves almost completely in that time, making it a safe way if you've got younglings that you're teaching cooking tips too.

I cook curries and casseroles and freeze extra portions (I use the Sistema bakery split containers so the liquid in the meal doesn't soak into the rice/potato).
Tips:
1. When making a curry, don't take it to As Hot As I Can Stand Without Dying when you're cooking it. When you freeze the extra portions and then the following week get out a portion to have for dinner, whether you defrost it naturally or in the microwave and then cook it, the Liquid/Spice ratio goes down in favour of the Spice. So it's hotter.
2. If using a simmer sauce as I do, always add a fair bit more vegetables and fluid ie water and/or wine then recommended because, as I said about the Liquid/Spice ratio, the Liquid goes down/soaks into the rice/potato/whatever if you do it that why, eventually drying out the meal. Makes things last longer, too.
3. Meat eaters: Don't get sucked into buying pre-diced meat. That's usually one of the tougher cuts. Watch the fat content of whatever you're buying. Buying 500g lamb is one thing, but when more than 10% of that of it is pure fat you have to cut off... Be aware that the evil corporate supermarket bastard butchery twat may have hidden the fat by placing the meat in the try fatless side up!
4. Simmer sauces in order of quality IMO - bottles, cans, liquid sachets, powder sachets.
5. Last but not least. Cooking rice: For One cup of rice add one and a half cups of boiled water. Add some olive oil. Put all that into a pot and bring it to a boil. As soon as the pot boils, turn off the element and set a timer for 7 minutes. Don't freak out if little holes appear in the rice. Don't touch it. The water dissolves almost completely in that time, making it a safe way if you've got younglings that you're teaching cooking tips too.

Do you or anyone here make Butter Chicken with store bought sauce? if so do you/does anyone have a good recipe for making it more like the real deal?

I heard this can be achieved by adding cream.

A guy made one, one time at band camp and it was better than some Indian Restaurants (but he wasn't much for sharing his method).

When I googled this topic there is a wide range of recommends on which curry paste/sauce is better.

Do you or anyone here make Butter Chicken with store bought sauce? if so do you/does anyone have a good recipe for making it more like the real deal?

I heard this can be achieved by adding cream.

A guy made one, one time at band camp and it was better than some Indian Restaurants (but he wasn't much for sharing his method).

When I googled this topic there is a wide range of recommends on which curry paste/sauce is better.
You'll need to get your hands on Fenugreek
Can be tricky to find it fresh.

You'll need to get your hands on Fenugreek
Can be tricky to find it fresh.

Just did a google search because I have never heard of it.

I see it has wide ranging properties that have action in Endocrinology (for readers that is all about hormones).

What do you use it for?

Seems it is good for diet i.e. cholesterol, appetite control, Testosterone and in women prolactin.

I used to enjoy being the guy with the beer next to the guy cooking on the BBQ. Cooking for everyone now where everyone wants different ranges of medium instead of the traditional BBQ well done and that's how your having is too much pressure.

Jokes aside at our last house which had a better indoor outdoor flow was a lot better for barbequing our current one if I was out on the deck with the BBQ your away from everyone or it's off the back of the garage and you feel even more like you've been sent away as not to embarrass anyone. One thing I'd like if we move and have a better layout is to buy a new BBQ.

The other thing now I'm getting older I'm starting to prefer the salads that get server with the BBQ. Mainly as the salads I prepare are typically pretty basic so it's a bit refreshing. When I was younger it would be a plate full of meat instead.

If I cook it is mostly stir fries or curries of some description. Not anything that would get me on a cooking show. The sources are usually from a packet.

Usually chicken, rice, vegetables and either teriyaki, lemon curry, sweet and sour.

Just did a google search because I have never heard of it.

I see it has wide ranging properties that have action in Endocrinology (for readers that is all about hormones).

What do you use it for?

Seems it is good for diet i.e. cholesterol, appetite control, Testosterone and in women prolactin.
Just one of those spices that gives it its unique taste.
Although you don't really need it.

Quite simply - marinate chicken in yoghurt, minced garlic+ginger

In a large saucepan/saute pan cook ginger and garlic minced in a decent amount of butter , add Chilli powder , Cumin , Corruander , Pepper and salt + tomato paste and turmeric, cook off
Add chicken and cook off
Add cream
Cook until tender

Kahawai, seriously underrate Sashimi fish.

Many Polynesian and Asian posters will know the value of fresh caught Kahawai for simple Soy Sauce and Wasabi Sashimi.

A lot of other Kiwis call Kahawai a shit fish, or bait only, or most famously for the smoker only.

In these times of hardship and in this economic climate, you will find most of my recommends are kitchen hacks on a budget.

In the following video skip to 26:30 to watch Taku (Sushi Chef - world traveled fisherman) preps Kahawai Sashimi.

Tip:

Kahawai makes great Island style coconut cream raw fish, many rate it more highly in this recipe for its texture than Snapper.

For those who think eeww raw fish - the fish is not raw, you use lemon juice to cook the fish chemically - the longer you soak it the more it cooks - you can achieve a level of '"cooking" identical to what heat cooking achieves (looks the same as steamed/boiled fish, completely cooked through).

Obviously if you want smoked Kahawai you can pick up a cheap portable fish smoker from the Warehouse etc and it comes out beautiful (hot smoked not dry cold smoking method).

Limitations:

Bleed the Kahawai on landing it ashore (I won't go into detail as this can make people squeamish - look it up on youtube folks) if you are not keen on bleeding it just eat as is with a generous dip in your soy and Wasabi to taste.

Kahawai has to be prepared fresh for best results, it tends not to keep well in fridge etc (Ideally you place any caught fish on salt ice, but a night in the fridge whole is fine).

If you want to store a Kahawai based meal in the freezer then fish patties, stews, smoked Kahawai to be used in smoked fish stews are good options).

Another value of Kahawai is that it is readily caught anywhere there is ocean in this country (Seasonal in the South Island, year round upper South and entire North Island).
Have you been able to get out and cast a line off the rocks Sup? North Shore has a few spots that produce which I'm sure you know of.

I was a chef straight out of school. Joys of having a very attractive Home Ec teacher at an all boys school. One of the best skills I carry with me. Always a hit with dates and partners.
You have to laugh at men who think cooking (real cooking not snags on a hot plate and toast and beans in the morning) is effeminate.

Known a few (mostly Aussie) blokes over the years who crack jokes about me in the kitchen and how their missus knows who wears the pants.

Yeah whatever, best chefs in the world are largely blokes eh.

When I was dating, I used to have a cook together date plan - it is a great way to get to know a woman by engaging in a social activity, maybe having a few wines while prepping food together.

I would ask what their favorite thing to cook / make is - then invite them to go with it while I cook what I am good at (tended to be seafood, but not everyone eats it, so it is a good way to show you are interested in your dates likes/preferences and that you can actively listen instead of the usual).

Worked for me any who. Even if your date hates cooking you can order in and play the same getting to know you game - this time try challenging each other to find take out that neither may have tried before.

Now I am old and happily over the dating / relationships game, at least I can cook what I like and not have to live off frozen dinners LOL.

You have to laugh at men who think cooking (real cooking not snags on a hot plate and toast and beans in the morning) is effeminate.

Known a few (mostly Aussie) blokes over the years who crack jokes about me in the kitchen and how their missus knows who wears the pants.

When I was dating, I used to have a cook together date plan - it is a great way to get to know a woman by engaging in a social activity, maybe having a few wines while prepping food together.

I would ask what their favorite thing to cook / make is - then invite them to go with it while I cook what I am good at (tended to be seafood, but not everyone eats it, so it is a good way to show you are interested in your dates likes/preferences and that you can actively listen instead of the usual).

Worked for me any who. Even if your date hates cooking you can order in and play the same getting to know you game - this time try challenging each other to find take out that neither may have tried before.

Now I am old and happily over the dating / relationships game, at least I can cook what I like and not have to live off frozen dinners LOL.
i laugh at any dude who thinks he’s too good/fancy/hard working to help or want to at the very least be with his significant other and make the food they eat together.

fucking clowns. i thought we got rid of slavery forever ago.

Last edited:

Facts.

Have had at least 20+ romantic endeavours based off my cooking skills. Sealed the deal with my incredibly hot neighbour back in QT days with a bowl of Pea and Ham soup made from scratch. If your reading this Nadia, thats still in my top 10...

Back