Sports Black Caps

Wrighty, I remember back to the days of the B&H tri series days in Oz. We got through to the finals against Australia but Hadlee was ruled out through injury for one game. One of the Australians in the crowd came up with one of the all time great signs…… “New Zealand is up the creek without its paddles”.
Brilliant

The best crowd sledge ever happened in the very first Warriors game v Broncos.
2 minutes into the first half Broncos score in the corner and Willie Carne iirc is lining up the conversion.
This was just after the sinking of the Australian americas cup yacht split in two and sank within seconds.
The crowd had gone silent thinking this game could be a fk disaster.
This huge Maori guy stood up and yelled
"what about your fuckin yacht "
Never heard such laughter in the crowd 🤣

No Shane Bond?

I know injury curtailed his career and only played 18 tests, but for mine easily the best NZ fast bowler ive seen since Hadlee.
some notable mentions, Andrew Jones, John Reid (50s all rounder) Geoff Howarth, Warren Lees, Ken Wadsworth (Keepers) Richard Cllenge (Yorking Geoffrey Boycott 2nd ball on way to beating England fist time in 78, pure gold. A word for Ian Chatfield, would not make this team but no one worked harder.
Here’s mine

Glen Turner
Bert Sutcliffe
KaneWilliamson
Martin Crowe
Ross Taylor
Chris Cairns
Brendon Mccullum
Richard Hadlee
Shane Bond a a forgotten great Keeper
Jack Cowie
Daniel Vettori

Not happy with any team that excludes Hadlee

Here he is at his irresistible best

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xWREQ5KME

Tim Southee in an interview showed once he had this sequence of footage memorised

All of Tim Trent etc grew up idolising Hadlee

It is between Marshall and Hadlee for being the greatest pace bowler of all time.

Big statement, Marshall and Hadlee were great. How about Larwood, Truman, Hall Lillee, Akram, Thompson, Robert's, Holding,

The upcoming test series against Australia is going to be interesting. Their bowlers have been doing well but the batting has been patchy all summer. Smith opening and Green at four has added a strange dynamic to their top order.

I see Hagley Oval has initiated a ringing of the bell a la Lords and Adelaide Oval and Stephen Boock rang it today, a deserving recipient . Has there been a better spinning combo in NZ cricket trying to nail that one spot in the national XI with Boock and Bracewell? (Boock was the smarter bowler, however Bracewell legit spun the ball!)
One of the funnier sledges from NZ cricket was Boock himself in Pakistan. After never ending failed LBW appeals that looked out and were continual turned down by the umpire, Boock said to the umpire that he could fuck off as he can count to 6...

Last edited:
The difference in fielding between the teams has been a feature of the series. Plus running references the wickets, etc.

We’re just sharper than them, typified by their massive wicketkeeper they left out today.

Back