General 2024/2025 Halves Discussion

Who should pair SJ in the halves in 2024?

• Total voters
That tries scored/created looks real bad for the left edge now doesn't it when you realise its not defensive numbers :D
Yes although our right edge was lethal, SJ was at another level in 2023, so possibly a little unfair to judge… however it was also the least effective edge on relative percentages in the entire comp.

Yes although our right edge was lethal, SJ was at another level in 2023, so possibly a little unfair to judge… however it was also the least effective edge on relative percentages in the entire comp.
I would actually argue that SJ was a driving factor not only for the right but the centre as well. He was practically running and creating 2/3 of the field IMO.

I also get the number 6 race is going to be tight this year and a number of possible options there. the team Metcalf crew saying Metcalf created with his pace by making defences watch him more closely and so creating for others elsewhere doesn't really wash for me. You would expect to see more tries created from that left edge from that.

Last edited:
I would actually argue that SJ was a driving factor not only for the right but the centre as well. He was practically running and creating 2/3 of the field IMO.

I also get the number 6 race is going to be tight this year and a number of possible options there. the team Metcalf crew saying Metcalf created with his pace by making defences watch him more closely and so creating for others elsewhere doesn't really wash for me. You would expect to see more tries created from that right edge from that.
It will be a very close race I reckon for who wears the 6 in round 1. Ridiculous we have 3 options that to me look line ball.

team comparisons

Worst in comp on left edge attack? (Balance not Trys scored overall).

Best in camp on the right edge

And people want RTS on at right center.

Well, even if Webster puts RTS on the right, I will be surprised (not upset) I will be interested to see who gets left Center.

Last edited:
Sj injury scare!

The fact that the injury apparently happened earlier in the week, and we didn't hear about it leads me to believe it isn't super serious, otherwise he'd have gone and had surgery already and it would be all over the place.

Me and my zero medical degree and qualifications would lean towards it being a sprain or a fracture, in which case he'd be back in time for week one.

Glass half full, it is an opportunity to get a glimpse into next year's preseason w/o SJ. I feel like a hier apparent needs to be just about decided on this preseason, even though most of us would probably be expecting a dip off in 2025, but still, when was the last time a top 4, even top 6 team went into a preseason without a clear favourite for the 7 for that season. (edit: referring to end of 24 into 25, just to be clear)

Last edited:
Worst in comp on left edge attack?

Well, even if Webster puts RTS on the right, I will be surprised (not upset) I will be interested to see who gets left Center.
It’s not worst in the comp because the Warriors scored a lot more tries than other teams. Also with SJ so dominant, going right was clearly the play for us. However it would still be great to have more balance in attacking threats across the park. For that reason my preference would be RTS on the left, particularly given the second rower or centre runs decoy a lot on the right sweep plays.

The fact that the injury apparently happened earlier in the week, and we didn't hear about it leads me to believe it isn't super serious, otherwise he'd have gone and had surgery already and it would be all over the place.

Me and my zero medical degree and qualifications would lean towards it being a sprain or a fracture, in which case he'd be back in time for week one.

Glass half full, it is an opportunity to get a glimpse into next year's preseason w/o SJ. I feel like a hier apparent needs to be just about decided on this preseason, even though most of us would probably be expecting a dip off in 2025, but still, when was the last time a top 4, even top 6 team went into a preseason without a clear favourite for the 7 for that season. (edit: referring to end of 24 into 25, just to be clear)
Yep 🤞 it's just precautionary.

Worst in comp on left edge attack?

I'd Keep Dallin and Berry together on the right, Roger and Monty on the other side (left).

I like the idea of the inexperienced Metcalf having Roger on his outside, and the inexperienced Berry having SJ on his inside. Metcalf will be forced to improve his ball-playing, having Rog calling for ball all game. If he doesn't give it, he'll hear about it. And Berry can continue to be fed by SJ, who is probably one of the best right side halves in the game.

Monty is probably most at risk in that backline, without Metcalf in the halves, there is not much express pace.

Also, the timing is interesting when put alongside the focus on Luke Metcalf by the media team. Pumping up Luke's tyres while he has a chance to battle for the 7 spot?
Assume TMM is a 6 (or 1 or 14) and wouldn't be in the running for a half-back / organising half role, so it would be CHT vs Metcalf for the 7 jersey were SJ not available for any particular game during the season?

It's like metcalf. He was embraced by some Samoan fans and they gave him that last name claiming him as
1 of their own. I think there's a photo around somewhere of him getting a photo with them and possibly the Samoan flag after a game.
Yedh there was a video of that too. Hopefully someone can share. Thought that was fantastic!

So it's an ankle sprain that'll likely keep him out for 6-8 weeks.

Would obviously prefer him out there (especially W2 v Storm) but would be really interesting to see how things would go for one or two games with a CHT/TMM or CHT/Metcalf combo.

It could be a good reality check- we had the first team minus SJ against the Panthers and got pummeled, but that the Panthers, the first team minus SJ against the Sharks/Panthers would give us a real measuring stick of what we are without him.

May even help SJ from burning out at the end of the year, delaying his start of the season a bit 🤷‍♂️

So it's an ankle sprain that'll likely keep him out for 6-8 weeks.

Would obviously prefer him out there (especially W2 v Storm) but would be really interesting to see how things would go for one or two games with a CHT/TMM or CHT/Metcalf combo.

It could be a good reality check- we had the first team minus SJ against the Panthers and got pummeled, but that the Panthers, the first team minus SJ against the Sharks/Panthers would give us a real measuring stick of what we are without him.

May even help SJ from burning out at the end of the year, delaying his start of the season a bit 🤷‍♂️
You don't think Webby will go Metcalf at 7?

I knew our halves were injury prone. All 4 of them to get a ton of game time this year.

Without Johnson I see us scoring less than 20 points per match until he returns.

It’s not worst in the comp because the Warriors scored a lot more tries than other teams. Also with SJ so dominant, going right was clearly the play for us. However it would still be great to have more balance in attacking threats across the park. For that reason my preference would be RTS on the left, particularly given the second rower or centre runs decoy a lot on the right sweep plays.
Well yeah but if you are talking about spread which is what the chart is for specifically designed to do (show your own teams balance left right middle versus others) we have a dominant side.

Well yeah but if you are talking about spread which is what the chart is for specifically designed to do (show your own teams balance left right middle versus others) we have a dominant side.
It's so lopsided it makes it even more amazing how dominant sj was when you consider how much coaches would have targeted that edge in defence.

Back