Staff Graham Henry

I have a deep hatred of Union and I won't get over it till the human rights abuses are addressed in a transparent forum which includes Govt apology and restitution.

As ridiculous as the USA's legal system has become, this is the type of case where a party like the NZRL would have a powerful mandate from the supreme court, to walk into these schools and say , that's it the wars over, provide resources and choices for children.

For all the arguments about the institution and the culture, the history, and so called progress, for all the excuses about other mechanisms available to rugby league, you have to break this down to what it really represents.

1. Human rights
2. Democracy
3. Fair trade
4. Prejudice
5. Ethical and Moral principle.

Is there a human rights issue ?
No question, there is a buy in to rugby league and a natural interest in the sport, this is not some newly introduced X sport like bmx ridding, this is one of NZ's oldest sports codes.
It is not therefore unreasonable to give it a choice of representation in our schooling system as of right, history, and tradition.

We are one of few Rugby League football playing nations on the planet, the code is reliant on our participation to thrive.

It is wrong to deprive children of choice.

It is corrupt to target one code of sport, and not all the others, in a systematised controlling way for fear of competition and change.

The news that Sir Graham Henry has agreed to help the Warriors is a great day for my code.

It only takes the decisions of individuals like him, to bring their Union status to the League game, for change to become possible.

In the short term I hope it helps the Warriors.

In the Long term I hope he and John Hart are remembered as men who crossed the line in the sand.

I don't care about Henry's anti league past, I respect the man for what this represents.

Good on you, Welcome to the Warriors.

bruce

Contributor
The news that Sir Graham Henry has agreed to help the Warriors is a great day for my code.
I think a lot of credit in breaking down the rugby v league barrier is due to the Mad Butcher.

He has always been a loyal league fan, even way back the the days of dinosaurs when he had the small shop in Massey Rd and the Warriors didn't even exist. However as I recall it the union types regarded him as a bit of a rough diamond eccentric.

There was once an evening organised by the Ponsonby Rugby Club for a debate between league and union. The butcher of course was the cheerleader for us second class citizens. You can imagine all those smug lawyer types listening to the Butch giving it to them.

As time has gone on and the Butcher has been revealed as a truly humble and generous man who just has to help anybody in need. He has earned the respect he deserves and his networking skills have made him welcome in places no league fan would ever have been in the old days, except maybe for people like the late Ron McGregor who was a star in the Kiwis Army team which was the quasi All Blacks immediately after WWII.

I am sure that has got SGH on board and I hope it works.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Yawnion is the National sport in SA easily

If you ask any Aussie they will tell you Cricket is the National sport, Big Bash is absolutely killing it atm both in spectators and viewing numbers and has just overtaken League and AFL as the most viewed on TV, so across the game it would monster the Winter Codes when you add up the totals from the 3 versions, definitely their National sport because all the winter codes are right into it to.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/445070ad397ba30e08125bc4a76431bb
Surely adding the three different types of cricket together is just like putting the three different types of oval ball sports together? I know its a bit of a leap, but its a theory, hang in there and ill explain. Soccer, rugby, league and afl all come from the same core game traditionally. Its only over time that they have seperated into different looking (not much according to outsiders) games.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Shrovetide_Football
As such when you combine all the ball sports and look at the inception date of 'Antiquity' (roman times or earlier) it is my presumption that Cricket being just a Johnny come lately (1780ish) is so far out classed that it shouldnt even be talked about as a real sport and therefore my argument is correct that Cricket is not the national sport of Australia, but really the national sport is Football.

There's a big shift in perception taking place right now with regards to kiwi league... Cam Smith stating that this kiwis team is not an easy beat team anymore, those days are gone, and now a bonafied member of rugby union royalty jumping into the warriors.

The kiwis teams success is thanks in no small amount to the Australian system helping us out.

And now we have the NZ union system lending us some first class experience the sky's the limit...

Just need these warriors to change up a couple of gears now and it will all change with them...

Reactions: Sup42

gREVUS

Contributor
Oh and btw G Henry, if only onboard for a month is pretty much a waste of space IMO. As i outline above as its all about football, his skills are fine, but i really dont see how Cappi is going to get enough out of a month to effect permanent positive change. I agree with others, its a publicity stunt designed to pull heat of Cappi.

Yawnion is the National sport in SA easily

If you ask any Aussie they will tell you Cricket is the National sport, Big Bash is absolutely killing it atm both in spectators and viewing numbers and has just overtaken League and AFL as the most viewed on TV, so across the game it would monster the Winter Codes when you add up the totals from the 3 versions, definitely their National sport because all the winter codes are right into it to.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/445070ad397ba30e08125bc4a76431bb

Football is the national sport of South Africa.

Yes it has the greatest participation rate but that doesn't make it the National Sport, Rugby has and will be the National Sport until Soccer has the financial backing and a half decent team to support but even then I'm not sure it will have the recognition.

The way Soccer has grown in NZ over the past 3 decades sooner or later they will have greater playing numbers, will it be the National Sport over Yawnion?

How about when South Africa hosted the football World Cup?

nope - Australia has no national sport. AFL can get the most numbers for spectators. NRL comes second. Generally when someone asks you just say Footy. that covers all ball codes, and is all ways correct irrelevant of which state your in, but often refers to something different in each state. However many people make a claim that its actually cricket, of course they are crackers
It's true, lived in Aussie, cricket is the national sport.

• Haha
Reactions: OMG

bruce

Contributor
Oh and btw G Henry, if only onboard for a month is pretty much a waste of space IMO. As i outline above as its all about football, his skills are fine, but i really dont see how Cappi is going to get enough out of a month to effect permanent positive change. I agree with others, its a publicity stunt designed to pull heat of Cappi.
I agree it doesn't look well planned, which is not JD's style. I don't know whether he is really hoping for Cappy to come right or whether he has somebody waiting in the wings, but it doesn't look like there is a long term plan here.

Reactions: gREVUS
Surely adding the three different types of cricket together is just like putting the three different types of oval ball sports together? I know its a bit of a leap, but its a theory, hang in there and ill explain. Soccer, rugby, league and afl all come from the same core game traditionally. Its only over time that they have seperated into different looking (not much according to outsiders) games.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Shrovetide_Football
As such when you combine all the ball sports and look at the inception date of 'Antiquity' (roman times or earlier) it is my presumption that Cricket being just a Johnny come lately (1780ish) is so far out classed that it shouldnt even be talked about as a real sport and therefore my argument is correct that Cricket is not the national sport of Australia, but really the national sport is Football.

Australian Cricket run all 3 versions, they do like to include indoor when looking at stats which was being played by 170K people in 2014, overall they reckon overall a million players registered through various comps in 2014.
Soccer is the most played but those fuckers would get a hiding saying it was the National Sport lol.

I like your point and I can live with throwing in with Yawnion but I think you've crossed the line lumping us in with Aerial Ping Pong and Poofball;)

How about when South Africa hosted the football World Cup?

Does that make it the National game though? At the moment Rugby is the Internationally recognised National Game, it has the most sponsorship and is played in every school. When it comes down to it Bigotry is alive and kicking over there, the Old Rah Rah Toffe nosed bullshit that game has been built on World Wide still has the people in the right places, just like they do in the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Sorry Mode- #notsoanonymoushijacker

Reactions: gREVUS
I agree it doesn't look well planned, which is not JD's style. I don't know whether he is really hoping for Cappy to come right or whether he has somebody waiting in the wings, but it doesn't look like there is a long term plan here.

Buying time so that when possibly Ivan Cleary's *consultant* stint is over he'll be ripe for the plucking?

gREVUS

Contributor
So come on here to read some positive feedback about Sir Graham instead we got people talking about Soccer, Cricket, AFL... like, who gives a flying fark about those shitty sports.

NZ has more connection to rugby and league more then any other sports and so what if their not global.. boo farkin hoo.. zzzzz thread.
when something actually happens we will talk about it, till then well talk about all the other shit. But hey the article that prompted this thread is still there, feel free to go read it again.

Maybe Henry will extend but just wants to see how it works out. Shame league doesn't have the surplus of coaches that rugby does. It seems the coaching brains seem better in union. Only a few rugby league coaches come up with anything new it seems.

Which is what, something like 5% of the population?
That's because the rest of them are living in Albany.;)

It will be interesting to see if Henry is at the game on Saturday and then how much he is around the club and training and games over the next month. Hopefully there is another month or a few weeks scheduled as a follow up near the end of the season. He could then assess if anything he suggests has been put into practice etc.