General Godinet to make Debut

dwats002_old

There are strong rumours going around that Lance Hohaia has damaged knee cartilage and Pita Godinet will make his debut. Anyone heard anything and what are your thoughts about this possible scenario??

fitzy_old

yes, been talked about in depth on another thread. Check out the 'Official team for Rabbitohs' thread

RRG_old

Firstly I think Lance has been good the last couple of weeks so I am a bit dissapointed for him if he misses out.

I think it is a good thing that they have given Godinet a run. I think some have view Mara performances this year through rose tinted glasses, he is still a big talent but he hasn't look explosive this year in the NRL like he did in his debut. I know he hasn't played big minutes, but I would have expected even more spark if he wasn't playing many minutes.

Am keen to see how Godinet goes.

Spence_old

I'm fairly sure Godinet was due to debut before Johnson, but injuries and the like played into Johnson's hand. I'm very excited to see him debut, I think he's a great talent. If he can bring half of his NSW Cup form into the NRL we'll be saying "Nafe who?". It's had to compare speed/acceleration without seeing people play side by side, but this kid is explosive. I definitely think he has a more well rounded game than Seluini, with being able to play in the halves, etc, but dare I say, I think his acceleration through the ruck is just as, if not better, than Nafe's. Plus he's got a kicking game, top notch short and long passing game. I'm very excited to see him play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

Firstly I think Lance has been good the last couple of weeks so I am a bit dissapointed for him if he misses out.

I think it is a good thing that they have given Godinet a run. I think some have view Mara performances this year through rose tinted glasses, he is still a big talent but he hasn't look explosive this year in the NRL like he did in his debut. I know he hasn't played big minutes, but I would have expected even more spark if he wasn't playing many minutes.

Am keen to see how Godinet goes.

This.

And 30 minutes on the field should be plenty of time to stamp one's mark on a game.

I'm excited to see what Godinet will offer. He is, as others have said, explosive off the mark and an elusive runner. I'm keen to see what else he has on offer.

Chch fan_old

I'm sure your right Spence I recall reading some thing along the lines of Johnson to make debut due to injuries to Seymore and Godinet.
Seemed a bit strange but then Godinet had great trial form while Johnson was injured.
This weekend would be a bit of a tough call on Mara but who doesn't want to see a young guy that by all accounts has been carving in the feeder side?

KeepingTheFaith_old

Smart move picking Godinet over Mara. As much as I like Mara, Godinet can cover more positions and I don't think Cleary is 100% on Johnson playing 80 minutes every week and would like a second option up his sleeve. Mara playing halfback doesn't fill me with confidence, hence Godinet getting the well deserved nod (if rumours are true).

ToiletDuck_old

Yeah excited by this too. I generally get excited whenever we have any new player, even one that hasn't been talked up.

sebastian_old

Yeah excited by this too. I generally get excited whenever we have any new player, even one that hasn't been talked up.

Yeah, me too. :biggrin1:

Always waiting to see that one kid that has superstar written over him. We've had a few of those this year. Lets hope to see another one on Sunday. :hat:

Spence_old

Well Heremaia could easily cover halfback for 10 minutes at the end of the game, if need be. So I don't know if that is a reason for playing Godinet, but I guess he can cover any position in the spine, so he is a more versatile choice. Personally, I simply think they want to give him a run, see what he's got.

ToiletDuck_old

Well Heremaia could easily cover halfback for 10 minutes at the end of the game, if need be. So I don't know if that is a reason for playing Godinet, but I guess he can cover any position in the spine, so he is a more versatile choice. Personally, I simply think they want to give him a run, see what he's got.

Or Feleti to 6, Jabroni to 7. So I think Godinet has been picked as a bench hooker. If he does spend any time in the halves, it'll just be to get a look at him there. But I'd be surprised if that happened.

sebastian_old

how old is God?

Born in 1987, so 23 years old.

If your were making a reference to myself calling him kid. I do it (incorrectly perhaps) all the time, usually to debutants. Of course i mean player instead of kid but each to their own. Unless i know beforehand how old they are, anyone youngish making a debut, i'll happily call them kid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fazz_old

I think Toyota Cup has skewed what we consider to be young in league. A couple of years ago 23 wouldn't be "old" for a debuting player, but now I think to myself "if he hasn't debuted by 21 he won't make it" because of Toyota Cup a lot of the time.

Thoughts?

krs_64_old

Godinet most likely to only get the last 10 mins and the first 10 mins of each half. I hope he makes a fist of it another player that's been killing it for the Vulcans.. Gotta feel for Mara though.

mrblonde_old

I must say I read LG's question and went "Huh!? What?? Has LG missed our theological discussions?" :D

God's age would be old enough to be a stranger on a bus trying to make his way home...and to have a telephone but nobody would call him on it except the Pope maybe in Rome.

Back on topic.

I must admit I was surprised about Godinet's age. Mind you, I still occassionaly get snitty when some sports reporter refers to a 34 year old as a "seasoned veteran". Still a young 'un!