Ryan_old

Source: https://www.sportal.co.nz/league-news-display/fish-hooks-debut-112227

What you've heard of Warriors youngster Glen Fisiiahi probably doesn't do him justice.

That fateful day in July last year against the South Sydney Rabbitohs, where the junior sensation sprinted 80-metres only to have the ball knocked from his grasp while prematurely thanking the heavens, is a You Tube hit – 119,129 views and 109 unkind comments and counting.

Fisiiahi has put those demons to bed. This year those knockers will choke on their mockery as the name Fisiiahi takes on positive connotations when, not if, he makes an NRL debut. It won't happen right away, but it will happen, if you ask coach Ivan Cleary.

"Yeah I think he will [debut]. If he continues the way he's going," Cleary said. "When that is I don't know. He's doing everything he can really."

Those in the know will tell you the NYC superstar, asked to do five pre-season interviews this week, has the goods. Last year he ran in 20 tries (3rd in Toyota Cup), 27 line breaks (1st) and 1116 kick-return metres (2nd). And in two 2011 trials he's already impressed with four touch downs.

Cleary is undecided on his right flank spot for the season opener against the Parramatta Eels at Eden Park on March 12. Fisiiahi featured at fullback for the championship-winning junior Warriors but has grasped the vacant right wing role in pre-season.

Kiwis custodian Lance Hohaia forced fellow junior star Kevin Locke to switch to the wing when he made the step up. But that transfer is under intensive scrutiny after Locke's diminutive size caused second year blues. Big Bill Tupou is lurking and Eels recruit Krisnan Inu is another contender, though he could play centre.

Fullback would be a pressure-cooker place to make your debut, making the wing a more viable, safe option. Fisiiahi realises there's an opening. He could crack first-grade sooner than expected.

"Yeah there is [an opportunity]. I've got to train harder, play harder and smarter than them. Do the little things right and the big things will follow," he acknowledged maturely.

The explosive 20-year-old Junior Kiwi put on four kilograms – from 86 to 90kgs – in the off-season to brace himself for the physicality of top-flight footy. He wanted to reach 95kg but the trainer gave him the 'big no' as it would counteract his main asset, blinding speed.

"I feel as fit and as strong and a bit bigger than I was in the 20s," he said. "My main goal for this year is to have my NRL debut. I've just to work hard and stick at it."

The Wesley College prodigy, who took sports dux ahead of New Zealand Sevens stars Frank Halai and David Raikuna in 2008, is playing for his future at the club. He's on a one-year contract with an option.

Only 10 percent of juniors graduate to NRL honours, but Cleary is confident 'Fish' can buck the trend.

As for 'that' blunder, the coach hasn't bothered having a quiet word about pre-try celebrations.

"I haven't had to do that," Cleary quipped. "I think everyone else has done that for me."

Etern0L_Warrior_old

if he debuts this year and surpasses locke in the pecking order that would be very interesting indeed.

Fazz_old

I think it will happen. He's much bigger than Kevin. I love Locke but he needs to be a fullback or even a half. Not a wing. He just isn't big enough.

a.c.e_old

Fisiiahi is a finisher, thats what we need other then Manu. We need players that can finish off hard work. Fisiiahi going by his stats can also create something. This dude will make the squad sometime during the year.

Ryan_old

Fisiiahi is a finisher, thats what we need other then Manu. We need players that can finish off hard work. Fisiiahi going by his stats can also create something. This dude will make the squad sometime during the year.
This bothers me (don't take it personally), but that is not to say I don't think this statement is without merit. Success at this level demands balanced players. Fisiiahi may to turn out the ace finisher, but can he back this up on defence? But don't get me wrong, I'm totally looking forward to seeing this guy get a blast in the first grade.

LordGnome_old

I still like the look of Locke at fullback - his defense is much improved of late and he still has his speed.

I could go for;

1) Locke
2) Fishy
3) Moon/Inu
4) Ropati
5) Manu

But where would you play Lance?

LordGnome_old

I always liked Lance at hooker, but we now have about 7 of those too.

Geeeez, the Vulcans mnight have a good line up this year!

Spence_old

Now that he has put on a bit of weight, Fish and "big" Tupou are pretty much the size.

Ryan_old

What about Lance on the wing? We know he can defend against big players.

Ryan_old

Ie

1. Fisiiahi
2. Frodo
3. Moon
4. Ropati
5. Beast

Shit knows what to do with Inu these days. I don't like the idea of him playing wing. Centre, yes. Wing, no, for mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

LordGnome_old

What about Lance on the wing? We know he can defend against big players.

Yes, I can imagine him jogging slowly up to the first tackler!

And he is good in the air, too.

Ryan_old

As for Locke, don't know. Could be time for him to suck it up, sunshine.

Spence_old

I think Lockes days on the wing are over, we have Fish/Inu/Tupou who would be about the same, or better, options, so there's no need to complicate it even more. From here on out he should solely be a fullback, whether it is for the Vulcans or the Warriors. He's proven, to me anyway, that his defense at the back is top notch and thats enough for me for the time being.

Last edited by a moderator:

LordGnome_old

I think Lockes days on the wing are over, we have Fish/Inu/Tupou who would be better options, so there's no need to complicate it even more. From here on out he should solely be a fullback, whether it is for the Vulcans or the Warriors. He's proven, to me anyway, that his defense at the back is top notch and thats enough for me for the time being.

What he said.

Spence_old

I would personally go...

Hohaia (Locke)
Fisiiahi (Tupou)
Moon (Inu)
Ropati
Manu

To start the season. I'm curious to see how Inu would go in a full game at centre, which I assume he's going to do today (from looking at the teamlist). The players in brackets are the players I'd swap with in case of injury, form, etc.

It may be early days, but I think Fisiiahi has proven more over these two trials (they are only trials though, and granted I've only heard match reports from the second) than Tupou has in his career. I don't mind Tupou, I think he's solid, but he doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me. I mean he's not overly fast, and overly good defender or overly elusive... He's sort of a poor mans "big" winger, if you know what I mean. He gives the illusion of being a Manu, but he doesn't quite have the body for it. But like I said, I think he's solid enough, but I think it is worth while giving Fish a good crack, so we can see if he really is a star.

Ryan_old

It concerns me that the no. 2 jersey could dull Fisiiahi. On defence, I've no concerns, but in attack, can a winger be roving (like modern fullbacks)?