Internationals General Kiwis News

Est95

1st Grade Fringe
May 11, 2012
Auckland
Mannering has got it:

New Zealand Warriors captain Simon Mannering has been named as the new Kiwis skipper.
He replaces Benji Marshall who was stripped of the captaincy yesterday.
Mannering has been vice-captain of the Kiwis and is heading into his fourth season as the New Zealand Warriors skipper, leading them to the NRL grand final in 2011.
The 26-year-old has played 28 tests for New Zealand, making his debut in 2006, along with 165 NRL games.
His first game in charge will be the annual Anzac test against Australia in Canberra on April 19 before the side's World Cup defence in the UK and France in October and November.
Marshall was captain of the side when they won the 2010 Four Nations, but New Zealand have won just one of their last six matches, a run which includes four straight defeats to Australia.
"I really enjoyed my time playing under Benji the last few years," said Mannering ahead of today's announcement.
"He's been there for some special victories. I definitely think he can hold his head high moving on from the role and hopefully he still plays his own game and plays well in a Kiwis jersey.''
- nzherald.co.nz

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Because he is not the guy with the best credentials to be national captain. Jeremy Smith is. Not some mute who doesn't say anything and just led his club pathetically last season. He has a lot of growing to do and would have been better to serve as VC at this point in time.
Mannering is a club captain and has been for 3 years. Obviously they expect him to be in the team. What more qualifications do others have?

Reactions: Eva

PartTimeFan

U20's Player
Feb 13, 2013
Wellington
Because he is not the guy with the best credentials to be national captain. Jeremy Smith is. Not some mute who doesn't say anything and just led his club pathetically last season. He has a lot of growing to do and would have been better to serve as VC at this point in time.

I'd tend to agree, I'dve thought Smith be an excellent choice.
This is exciting though, so many options. Hurry up October.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Congratulations Captain Mannering , high honor.

New Zealands Greatest players have been Captains.

Graham

White

Jones

Freeman

Wiki

Marshall

Barnett

Bell

Mcgahan

Cayless

Some esteemed names on that list. Good Luck, keep the Cup bro

ShaunJohnson7

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
Mannering is a club captain and has been for 3 years. Obviously they expect him to be in the team. What more qualifications do others have?

I dont think he is the best guy for the job period. The guy doesn't even seem to communicate his team mates on the field all that much, does he even have the respect of his fellow team mates in the Kiwi's camp that someone like Jeremy Smith would command? I doubt it.

Reactions: drake83

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I dont think he is the best guy for the job period. The guy doesn't even seem to communicate his team mates on the field all that much, does he even have the respect of his fellow team mates in the Kiwi's camp that someone like Jeremy Smith would command? I doubt it.
I think he would. Hes been part of that group a long time AND he probably leads 25 percent of them in the warriors

ShaunJohnson7

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
check my avatar

I know you like Smith too, we've discussed him before. But it's no secret that Mannering is your favourite Warrior, he was your old avatar in the old forum from what I remember so you weren't too bothered with who got the gig between them. I would rather Smith. Thats it.

Reactions: wallacenz

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
I know you like Smith too, we've discussed him before. But it's no secret that Mannering is your favourite Warrior, he was your old avatar in the old forum from what I remember so you weren't too bothered with who got the gig between them. I would rather Smith. Thats it.

Smith is a champion, but Mannering is someone who they can build a "legacey" around. Jeremy is pretty old, and has had some injuries the last few years. Mannering is still young, is highly respected and regarded as a person and player within NZ league (and NRL), so is the logical choice IMO.

Congrats Simon!

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings