Internationals General Kiwis News

PartTimeFan

U20's Player
Feb 13, 2013
Wellington
7am news rather early to be announcing such stuff - at least this made it on there. I like Smith for captain, not like hes lacking in experience, barring big-game captaincy. Gotta start somewhere though.

OMG

Warriors 1st Grader
May 18, 2012
Churchur
I think Smith would be good, but he is getting long in the tooth and Mannering is a better long term option.

IMO Making Simon Captain when he was so young has handicapped him and restricted his development as a player, in saying that I have always believed he would be a great Captain and he is coming into the peak years of his powers so it's a great decision if it was him, Smith would be deserving but Simon would be logical.
Nek minute Adam Blair LOL

Reactions: Akkerz and mode81

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Wellington
Totally agree with Benji being stripped of the captaincy. This allows Johnson and Foran to potentially become our halves in the not too distant future. I expect Jeremy Smith will retire from international football within a season or two, so I personally would not select him.
I'd make Ben Matulino our captain haha.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Always hated Benji as captain. He's got enough on his plate. Not sure if dropping hims a good idea although his combination with Foran has never fired in all this time. Not sure who's fault that is.

Mannering is the only player who stands out as the next captain. Matulino wouldnt be a bad option at all. Certainly been consistant and his rep duties have helped him grow his game. God, imagine if he did get the gig. His game would blow up...

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Always hated Benji as captain. He's got enough on his plate. Not sure if dropping hims a good idea although his combination with Foran has never fired in all this time. Not sure who's fault that is.

Mannering is the only player who stands out as the next captain. Matulino wouldnt be a bad option at all. Certainly been consistant and his rep duties have helped him grow his game. God, imagine if he did get the gig. His game would blow up...
I always thought Benji, Foran and Johnson are 6s. More the option than the person to lead the team around the field. B

I like the idea of Matulino as a leader but not sure about his leadership skills. He is a dead cert to make the team though.

edit: when I say leader its referring to the duties of the 7 as opposed to captaincy but it does mean Benji may not have a secure place in the team imo

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Wellington
I always thought Benji, Foran and Johnson are 6s. More the option than the leader.

I like the idea of Matulino as a leader but not sure about his leadership skills. He is a dead cert to make the team though.
Haha yeah, I have no idea whether he's rated as a leader. Simply felt like making a suggestion that wasn't Mannering ;). Matulino certainly leads by example, though, and like you said he is guaranteed to make the team. I actually can't picture him ever having a form drop, he's that good.

ShaunJohnson7

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
I think Smith would be good, but he is getting long in the tooth and Mannering is a better long term option.

I don't care whether he is getting long in the tooth. This is an extremely important year we are defending the World title. There is no looking to the future in my opinion and I want the best leader to have the job. I always thought he should have been captain ahead of Benji and now this is his chance.

Mannering just doesn't do it for me as international captain just yet. Is he going to stand there behind the posts after the opposition score and say nothing and leave it to the trainer to do all the talking like he does for the Warriors?

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Wellington
I don't care whether he is getting long in the tooth. This is an extremely important year we are defending the World title. There is no looking to the future in my opinion and I want the best leader to have the job. I always thought he should have been captain ahead of Benji and now this is his chance.

Mannering just doesn't do it for me as international captain just yet. Is he going to stand there behind the posts after the opposition score and say nothing and leave it to the trainer to do all the talking like he does for the Warriors?
I'd certainly pick Smith ahead of Mannering. Mannering vice captain.

Reactions: ShaunJohnson7

Danpatmac

That all may well be,

But Smith doesn't live in Auckland and I'm pretty much 100% it will be Mannering.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Smith For me too....Same reasons as Shaun Johnson

Alex Glenn ?

Captained the Broncos last week

Kearney would be smart to have strings direct to his Captain on his own doorstep / especially if the Newly appointed head coach of Brissy Kearney....decides his first Order of the day is to have an option to demote Thaiday and put his own man in.

Kearney is capable of naming anyone.......Adam Blair as someone else made a larf about......maybe I'd better go to a mosque and ask that it not be Sonny Bill...i couldn't handle trawling through the ten million page thread.

No other serious guessing game contenders spring to mind other than Mannering / Smith / Glenn / Pritchard / Blair...... in no particular order coz it's Kearney...who knows

the Auckland thing.......well it is in NZ ( Auckland your true Capital .......Canberra Shamberra everyone knows Syders is the Capital of Australia ) and who ever it is will be promoted to our media not Aussies

Eddit : Foran for a Smokey

mode81

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2012
Good call on Alex Glenn, genuine option considering he's held in high esteem by the Broncos coaching staff and a potential long term choice.

Jeremy Smith's a definite possibility considering we went with Nathan Cayless in 2008, he had years of captaincy experience with the Eels before being given the Kiwi captaincy. I wouldn't be too surprised if they go with the experienced warhorse much like Cayless. Jeremy Smith/Mannering co captains could be a goer but you don't really need two forward captains, gonna be interesting, Adam Gollywog Blair no thanks.

Reactions: Sup42

Ref

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Rotorua
I'd go for Smith
He is a certain starter for the Kiwis and should have got the job the last time it was available.
He would surely have the respect of the fellow players and it should be a seamless transition.
Marshall seems to have too much on his plate when captain, plus a captain should not be a below average to poor jersey grabbing defender.
What kind of example is that.
Mannering would be the other option but he is no certain starter.

Reactions: Hitman82

Danpatmac

I'd go for Smith
He is a certain starter for the Kiwis and should have got the job the last time it was available.
He would surely have the respect of the fellow players and it should be a seamless transition.
Marshall seems to have too much on his plate when captain, plus a captain should not be a below average to poor jersey grabbing defender.
What kind of example is that.
Mannering would be the other option but he is no certain starter.

When was the last time he was fit and didn't start for the Kiwis?

I would wager he is as certain a starter as could be.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Well they would've had a good look at all the candidates during the recent kiwi camp so I'd imagine someone stood out as the leader of the group and he's gonna get the job.
personally I don't care who it is- as long as they're from the sth island.........

Reactions: charlie bobmarley

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Wellington
Hoh!!!! Just had a thought... Now Leuluai is back in NZ permanently, I wonder how he will feature in the kiwis makeup.
-194 first grade games
-30 tests
-plays 6, 7 or 9
-captained an ESL team
-defensive juggernaut
...he will be there.

Reactions: Est95

Danpatmac

Hoh!!!! Just had a thought... Now Leuluai is back in NZ permanently, I wonder how he will feature in the kiwis makeup.
-194 first grade games
-30 tests
-plays 6, 7 or 9
-captained an ESL team
-defensive juggernaut
...he will be there.

He will be the perfect 14

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating