General Fullback 2014: Is Tomkins Worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any ESL watchers inform me regarding Tomkins' reputed gamesmanship and such? I hear he has a knack for pissing people off? Grubby, overly competitive?

I like all those things so don't get me wrong.

He's NOT grubby. He can milk the odd penalty or two (or three or four), but its usually because he's so damn quick and wriggles like a snake when you get him to the ground trying to get a quick play.

Most people who hate him are

a) from Leeds
b) wish he played for them

and thanks for all the congratulations guys!

I'll tell you in 12 months time. LOL. Let him gel with the guys, get used to the system. I wish him nothing but the best in making an impact with the Warriors and the NRL

Reactions: edd
hrm... now I think about it... he hasn't got a nickname... he's either Tomkins (said with a certain amount of awe even though there's more than one), Sam or Sammy.

I guess its up to you guys to come up with a good one!

Sam Looking for Dream Ending
Full Back Sam Tomkins will play his final game at the DW Stadium this Friday as a Wigan player, hopefully not his last for the Club,before he joins NRL side New Zealand Warriors for 2014.

Speaking at the press conference on Monday, Sam admitted Friday's Semi-Final against Leeds will be an emotional night for him,

"It will be an emotional night but hopefully I will have two games left for Wigan. Yes my last game will be on Friday at the DW Stadium for a number of years and it will be a special night. The main focus for me though is for a win and a happy night.

"There are a few other players in the same boat as me and there won't only be me feeling that way. I want to leave this Stadium with happy memories and beating Leeds will do that. Pat and Lee and Chris will all feel the same but we are focussed on the game rather than it being our last and maybe only after the final whistle will we realise it is the end of a chapter for us.

"Leeds are known for peaking this time of the year and have done really well in recent years. We need to deal with their individuals, your Kevin Sinfields, your Danny McGuires and Rob Burrows who are world class players and we will be drawing on past experiences when we have beaten Leeds and will be looking for that again on Friday.

"We are 160 minutes away from lifting another trophy and it would be the perfect way to sign off. As a squad we are in a good position and there is no reason why we can't win these two games."

On the decision to leave Wigan and head to New Zealand, Sam added,

"It was a difficult decision, Wigan has been a massive part of all my families life for a number of years with my two brothers playing here and my Parents have been with me every step of the way.

"It wasn't easy and I have support all the way and I can't thank everyone enough for the support everyone has shown me. For me timing wise, it is the right time for me to leave and I am leaving with happy memories and the Club's blessing. I have been open with Shaun Wane and Ian Lenagan and although they didn't want me to go they wanted me to do what I felt was best for me and this is it.

"It is a fantastic challenge for me, moving 12,000 miles away from friends and family, it will be tough but I am looking forward to it.

I am good friends with Tommy Leuluai and I have kept in touch since he left and once I got into negotiation with the Warriors I asked him about life there and the Club and I knew he wouldn't tell me any lies. He had nothing but praise and he was a factor in me going."

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.aspx?id=8676&type=news

Here's the final episode (13) of Sams team.

For those who didn't follow it....Tomkins for Sky Sports takes a bunch of average kids form working class schools that are having to merge and uses a project ( making your own rugby league club including marketing , kit men , coaching staff and players )

Bare in mind the kids weren't players before the series started ( St Pauls , Mt Albert Grammar , Kelston etc would kill them )

It would be great to see Sam do this initiative here with one of our struggling schools ( the show required that kids attend school , do their home work , behave , it worked ! )

I hope Tompkins has a good work ethic, hopefully it will rub off on the more 'casual' teammates.
The warriors haven't been close to breaking salary cap for a few years now, partly due to many of the better Australian players preferring to stay in oz even if it meant less money. Raid the best of British I say.

Reactions: Sup42
I hope Tompkins has a good work ethic, hopefully it will rub off on the more 'casual' teammates.
The warriors haven't been close to breaking salary cap for a few years now, partly due to many of the better Australian players preferring to stay in oz even if it meant less money. Raid the best of British I say.
I'd be stoked if some of our players would step up, and improve their own value, to take the cap space that's on offer....

Reactions: bb
Sounding like a cheerleader on speed here but Tomkins works on his game like any Elite Athlete, highly valued at Wigan for his influence on other people.

Tomkins work ethic is apparently second to none. He's always focused always driven and always looking to improve.

I'd not managed to catch the last couple of Sam's Team. It would be excellent if he did it over with you guys as well. Probably not in his first year as he'll be wanting to settle in to the team and earn his billing but maybe after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.