Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
If he does sign with them he would have to be one of the shortest outside backs(center/winger) in recent memory to play for the roosters? Theres probably been a few but only one that comes to mind is RTS on the wing? Roosters edges are usually the land of the giants.
Definitely most of their first stringers have been huge. But still quite a few regular sized players over the last couple of years - Ryan Hall, Kevin Naiqama, Brett Morris, Dale Copley, Brad Abbey

Dunno where this love affair for Lussick is coming from

Screenshot 2024-03-19 113313.png

Lussick doesnt need to get involved but does and trips over nothing

Screenshot 2024-03-19 113346.png

there he is lying on his ass

Screenshot 2024-03-19 113428.png

then when he finally makes it back to the D line hes out of position and Hughes exploits him. That leads to Storm try #1

Screenshot 2024-03-19 112039.png

Screenshot 2024-03-19 112249.png

Storm try #2. Basically walking back to the middle as the play develops and leaves Tohu isolated.

Then follows that up with the penalty for contacting the kicker, Storm take the kick for another 2points.

Great signings for them.
With all the cap they have freeing up we better get used to this I think. Gun player on the market = signs with the roosters..

They've also got Egan Butcher and Gus Crichton in ressies atm, which must be close to a mill doing nothing for them. Loads of money to splash/move around for them

I see Jackson Hastings is on the outter at the Knights already.

I know he's had issues at pretty much every club he's been at, but if Webby was able to manage him I think we could get an absolute steal.

The bloke is only on 600k so could be a legit option to replace SJ for essentially the same coin.

Contracted for this year and next, but I'd be monitoring this for the next 5-6 weeks. I guess halves are a hot commodity and he'd find somewhere else in Sydney pretty easy, but yeah I think that's the kind of money ball signing that is Webby felt he could manage, would be great for us.

I know he's had issues at pretty much every club he's been at, but if Webby was able to manage him I think we could get an absolute steal.

The bloke is only on 600k so could be a legit option to replace SJ for essentially the same coin.

Contracted for this year and next, but I'd be monitoring this for the next 5-6 weeks. I guess halves are a hot commodity and he'd find somewhere else in Sydney pretty easy, but yeah I think that's the kind of money ball signing that is Webby felt he could manage, would be great for us.
Not sure I'd be interested, seems to always come into issues the 2nd year at every club he has been at NRL wise.
Although, if I were O'Brien I would have dropped Gamble before Hastings anyway.

Big No from me bro, toxic every where he goes. Not worth the time, even if we got him for 10cents I’d rather develop what we got.

Big No from me bro, toxic every where he goes. Not worth the time, even if we got him for 10cents I’d rather develop what we got.

Yeah bro I know what you mean. I'm reluctant too, but I love a good bargain lol, and I feel that Webby would have to meet with him a few times and see if Webby feels that he can get the best out of Hastings. If not, no way we touch him.
But yeah, even for me I'm leaving heavily towards no, but then I feel if we look at the players we've had with questionable morals - AFB, Dyl Walker, Lodge - no one has screwed us due to their shitty behaviour so I feel we would likely be able to manage it (while the Lodge thing was bad I don't think all of that went down because of his behaviour or character).

We're probably looking like this

2025 SJ/Metcalf + TMM/Hansen/CHT
2026 Metcalf/CHT + TMM/Hansen

The way we're going TMM should really work on transitioning like Foran/CHT - half turning into a veteran regular impact/bench hooker AND backup half
TMM needs to think about his value proposition

I think I recall that we approached him back when he was originally looking to shift back from the UK to the NRL, and he rejected us on the basis that he wanted to sign with a top club, only to then sign with the bloody Tigers lmao

I would rather Toby Sexton, he won't get a look in at the dogs. Upside in the age bracket, and Webby can simplify his game, Matty John's is high on this kid.

I think I recall that we approached him back when he was originally looking to shift back from the UK to the NRL, and he rejected us on the basis that he wanted to sign with a top club, only to then sign with the bloody Tigers lmao
Failed the brightness test on that alone. Or he has been looking at the table upside down.

Until the club has got a decision from Johnson for 2025 we don't need another half. Even if Johnson decides to retire we have 3 already with quite a bit of first grade experience. Is it worth bringing Hastings here? Not sure he provides more than the other options.

Webster by all accounts works a lot with his halves to ensure they have players around them. That may help Hastings as some of the criticism at the Knights is just shifting the ball on.

At the moment it's not a signing I'd be keen on.

I would rather Toby Sexton, he won't get a look in at the dogs. Upside in the age bracket, and Webby can simplify his game, Matty John's is high on this kid.

Failed the brightness test on that alone. Or he has been looking at the table upside down.

Until the club has got a decision from Johnson for 2025 we don't need another half. Even if Johnson decides to retire we have 3 already with quite a bit of first grade experience. Is it worth bringing Hastings here? Not sure he provides more than the other options.

Webster by all accounts works a lot with his halves to ensure they have players around them. That may help Hastings as some of the criticism at the Knights is just shifting the ball on.

At the moment it's not a signing I'd be keen on.
We have B+ level halves coming out of our ears, Don't need another one agreed.

My issue with Hastings is less the attitude stuff and more that he simply isn't an elite halfback. Decent running game but his kicking game is below par for an NRL half, especially long-range. If we're replacing Shaun we need to aim higher.

We have B+ level halves coming out of our ears, Don't need another one agreed.

That's quite generous Wrighty...I wouldn't list our other halves as B+ level at all. So far anyways.

Metcalf - looking good at the moment but still only 30 odd games. Some good moments but plenty to work on. C-

TMM - looks like a classy player with deft touches, but so far hasn't evidenced that he can lead a team around. C-

CHT - All heart no skill. Haha no, I jest. Yet to see what the 2024 version offers but the one before that had great D, great heart but not much as a half. D

Hanson - still young, I don't think he sees regular first grade til at least 2026. Can't give him a rating.

Hastings - kicks well. Former man of steel. Can lead a team around the park. Full time arsehole tho. B rating.

Him and Metcalf would be a pretty decent halves combo imo, assuming Metcalf continues to grow this year. But yeah, again I think he'd be one of the best options to replace SJ when he hangs the boots up.
But again, I don't think it will happen. Wouldn't be mad at it if it did tho.

Nas and Hastings to replace AFB and SJ....I'd take that in a heartbeat haha

Back